The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Back to Africa > Comments

Back to Africa : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 13/1/2006

Bashir Goth rues the day that white man settled in Africa.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20
  13. All
I refer to my first post on this article and would like to add the following. We all know colonialism was wrong. I think we are also all smart enough to admit that stronger empires/ countries take over weaker ones, and that this has always been the case and always will be. Today's economic hegemony has replaced colonialism and is undoubtedly a less blatant more insidious problem.

Yet there is absolutely no logical reason why the OAU cannot become a power itself in world economics. However as pointed out by previous posters Africans themselves have largely failed to create the equal, transparent and corruption free democracies they yearned for during colonial times. In fact on a recent trip to Harare I found myself engaged in a conversation with several black Zimbabweans who were convinced Ian Smith had been a much better prospect for the country than Mugabe-this was particularly astonishing when I found out two of the three were ex-ZANLA guerillas!

Mbeki's South Africa is currently pursuing a super agressive 'affirmative action' campaign in which black Africans are being allocated positions in sport, industry, government and commerce that they are simply not qualified to fill. Not only does this create fear amongst potential investors but it also spawns uncertainty amongst the population. As one coloured SA cricketer recently said "it takes very strong individuals to overcome the fear that they might not be where they are on merit."

Mbeki stated when he first came to power that he would pursue reconciliation and would not marginalise the white population- a noble statement considering the past. I fear that this has proven impossible and that SA will continue down the path of resentment that has caused greater Africa to disintegrate. Africans must remember that holding a grudge is not hurting their former colonial masters or Afrikaans rulers but rather themselves
Posted by wre, Saturday, 14 January 2006 1:56:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bashir

Thank you for your article. Gave me heaps to think about. I guess our Indigenous people could present a similar argument - well some of it anyway.

Leigh, as usual, I enjoy your posts.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Saturday, 14 January 2006 9:14:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I kinda understand where he is coming from. When a new culture is forced on another that cultures stays still in time. It stagnates or dies, doesn't grow or evolve. So there is a feeing that for it to evolve or become a valid culture once again you have to have to go back to where it all stopped or stagnated. So yes, you have to go back and start from where you left off. Everywhere this happens, people harp on about what happened so many hundreds years ago when they feel is the time their culture was last valid and whole.

So I understand but at the same time think it will never work, too much time and cultural pollution for anything so simple.
Posted by Verdant, Saturday, 14 January 2006 10:46:13 PM
I agree with Bashir Goth on most points.

I wonder if a white Australian would be allowed to question the arrival of black Africans into Australia?

Bashir Goth rues whites going to Africa. Are whites allowed to rue blacks coming to Australia? The answer is no.

I am not saying I am for or against black immigrants.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Sunday, 15 January 2006 9:26:21 AM
I'm new to this forum discussion approach, but it does seem to me that there are 2 opposing sides that go head to head.

At the centre of this debates there appears to be disagreement about the role of racism in world history.

Some appear to suggest it was/is a pivotal ideological informer of social policy and historical practice, others contend that it is not or that racial injustice is therefore inevitable and therefore right.

Following the latter appeal to a theory of what could be called a Darwinian enivitability and hypothetically would the takeover of this nation by say Africa be justified simply on the basis of 'Might is Right'.

I'm sure many would say no, but this then appears to contradict totally their retro-analysis of world history and take-over of many non-Euro nations.

Peace.
Posted by LEO, Sunday, 15 January 2006 11:35:42 AM
Bashir Goth presents a well thought out article, which is close to the truth. Sure they aren't helping themselves, but how can they when their leaders were trained by the west and use western style government, unlike the forms of conflict resolution Bashir speaks about in the past.

We can't go back in time, yet I see the paranoia growing in the right wing christian ranks, as they try to pass the buck again.

Bd, at least has an understanding of how much their life style meant to them and how content they were within that. That will come again, but in a more advanced and understanding way. I fear it will be at a great lose of both population and resources.

It may be, that in time they will return to moving around their continent, as will lots of humans in the world. But their return to a better way of living with the environment, will be along side technology that will help that occur in a sustainable way.

I just hope people like Bashir can hold out until that time and use their superior intellect and understanding of natural life they have, to evolve that in peace and harmony with nature. As well as evolving their understanding. I am sure that they well remember, what certain sections of Europeans have done to their country and lifestyle.

I see nothing positive in dragging people into our own stupid approach to the world. With the right example, they follow willingly. We can see where the christian European example has placed them, no excuse for that is there.
Posted by The alchemist, Sunday, 15 January 2006 12:47:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20