The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Acceptance is ... > Comments

Acceptance is ... : Comments

By Sebastian De Brennan, published 12/1/2006

Sebastian de Brennan argues Australians should aim for the higher ideal of acceptance, rather than just tolerance, of others.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
VGC

That is a new one: I have been accused on OLO as being left wing, and I have had arguments with people because of my views against Fascism and racism, but this is the first time that I have been accused here of being 'right wing'.

In another forum I have been described as:

"A pretentious, pious, know nothing, psuedo-intellectual inner Sydney w@nker"

A tag which I now wear with pride.

By the way, I also dislike Australian Rules, mainly because it has no apparent rules, and basketball. In basketball a good game is where the two teams are level pegging until the end, and one team wins by two points, say, 102 to 100. I agree with the sports writer who said that they should simply give both teams in basketball 100 points and let them play for two minutes.

And my comment about Marcel Proust is as much about his writings as yours. Proust won a Nobel prize for putting on paper ravings in a form that would be heavily criticised if they were submitted as even a high school essay.

If people want to enjoy soccer or Australian Rules or basketball, fine, just don't expect me to get caught up in the general adulation for overpaid sports 'stars'. To submit that a win in a sporting event is a indication of Australia's multicuturalism is to denigrate the much more important Australian successes in the areas of medical and scientific research.

Australian culture is about being free to like or dislike anything you want, within the law. It is about having freedom of speech to critice such things as soccer. You have the right to enjoy it, I have the right not to.

By the way, I am not your 'mate', in a liberal society I have the right to chose who my mates are, and you are not one of them.
Posted by Hamlet, Saturday, 14 January 2006 2:59:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"And I cannot like a game where the rules are so artificial as to prohibit the use of the hands in playing a ball or where half of a particular national team seems to be proud to not know who their fathers were. I am talking about Brazil, of course, where so many players only have one name (Renaldo, Fred, Ricardino etc). They seem to not know what their surnames are, so that tells me a little of their ancestry..."

I have a first name and 2 middle names, but when I play sport, my uniform only has my family name on it. That does not mean that I don't have christian names. Similarly, the Brazilian's jerseys show an abbreviation of their full name.

"so that tells me a little of their ancestry..."

We all know how Hamlet ended. (did he only have one name?)
Posted by Timmy83, Saturday, 14 January 2006 4:39:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hamlet

If you knew how common are the attitudes you've just expresed you'd take great heart. Australian's won't abandon the things that have made this country safe and a great place to live. Nor will they tolerate the bs that is invidiously sneaking it's way into the fringes of our society.

I enjoyed your outpouring of emotion. It is quite unusual for people who are normally quite restrained. It will alarm those who seek to damage our way of life.

Yep you are tolerant and self-critical. They are accepted norms in our culture.

I loved your post it was from the heart and showed a great passion to be Australian.

Well said.
Posted by keith, Saturday, 14 January 2006 7:07:40 PM
'In another forum I have been described as:

"A pretentious, pious, know nothing, psuedo-intellectual inner Sydney w@nker"

A tag which I now wear with pride.

'...as only a '"A pretentious, pious, know nothing, psuedo-intellectual inner Sydney w@nker"'

could.

:-)
Posted by keith, Saturday, 14 January 2006 7:11:55 PM
davo,

A few Jean Marie le Pens would be great.

In this country you are not allowed to have views like le Pen however. Just ask the minorities who run the show.

It would be nice to have a few Bardots also, but once again the minorities own the place, so forget that too.
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Sunday, 15 January 2006 9:57:49 AM
It appears anyone who writes an article for this forum has only to mention the word "Muslim" once to trigger a micro analysis of words and beliefs and their justifications ad nauseum.
This particular discussion reads like a group therapy session for chronic sufferers of a new strand of public disease.
"antimuslimitys". Its obviously contagious, but some appear to have some natural immunity.
Posted by LEO, Sunday, 15 January 2006 10:15:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy