The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Human embryos, a material commodity > Comments

Human embryos, a material commodity : Comments

By Joe Santamaria, published 12/1/2006

Joe Santamaria argues justice should extend to the human embryo and the fundamental right for it to exist and to grow.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Pericles,

THERE are runs are on the board for adult stem cell therapies, generally from local (small) teams. The other side is yet to score, despite the backing & budget of a 'World Series.'

Despite either sides bias, I return to the objective question:

Is this good science and good value? This will be difficult as no one is independently assessing either the science or the economics.

cheers!
Posted by Reality Check, Tuesday, 17 January 2006 3:55:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reality Check
Can you justify your statement

“THERE are runs are on the board for adult stem cell therapies, generally from local (small) teams. The other side is yet to score, despite the backing & budget of a 'World Series.'”

There are currently several limitations to using adult stem cells. Although many different kinds of multipotent stem cells have been identified, adult stem cells that could give rise to all cell and tissue types have not yet been found. Adult stem cells are often present in only minute quantities and can therefore be difficult to isolate and purify. There is also evidence that they may not have the same capacity to multiply as embryonic stem cells do. Finally, adult stem cells may contain more DNA abnormalities—caused by sunlight, toxins, and errors in making more DNA copies during the course of a lifetime. These potential weaknesses might limit the usefulness of adult stem cells.
Scientists have only been able to do experiments with human embryonic stem cells (hESC) since 1998, when a group led by Dr. James Thomson at the University of Wisconsin developed a technique to isolate and grow the cells. Moreover, federal funds to support hESC research have only been available since August 9, 2001, when President Bush announced his decision on federal funding for hESC research. Because many academic researchers rely on federal funds to support their laboratories, they are just beginning to learn how to grow and use the cells. Thus, although hESC are thought to offer potential cures and therapies for many devastating diseases, research using them is still in its early stages.
http://stemcells.nih.gov/StemCells/Templates/StemCellContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2finfo%2ffaqs%2easp&NRNODEGUID=%7bA604DCCE-2E5F-4395-8954-FCE1C05BECED%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#nihfund
Please spare us your regurgitated pro-life propaganda and look at the facts. Adult stem cells have been used for over 40 years, hESC have only been studied for less than five. I would prefer the views of the US National Institutes of Health than those of an obvious if closet pro-life propaganda merchant.
Posted by Steve Madden, Tuesday, 17 January 2006 4:31:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I hear stem cells from umbilical cords have been found damn useful, even more efficient than from embryos. Anybody got info on that?
Posted by Jose, Wednesday, 18 January 2006 3:59:55 PM
Dear Steve,

Returning to the question you cannot answer - Is this good science and good value? - I will accept that my knowledge is incomplete and ask a supplementary question - for how long should we allow fruitless research? Or, for how long should we accept treatments that have a marginal success rate?

These questions can be argued in terms of economics or the intrinsic value of a human life. As someone on dialysis for 15 years with a 0.3 medical quality of life index, economically I should be disposed of, however, my contribution to society - in my eyes or others - may significantly challenge that rating.

Anyway, given the way society is going, the economic (and pragmatic) may well triumph over the traditional view to save/preserve life irrespective of costs.
Your "closet pro-life propaganda merchant."
Posted by Reality Check, Thursday, 19 January 2006 7:51:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy