The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Book review: 'The Bohemian Bourgeois' by David Myers > Comments

Book review: 'The Bohemian Bourgeois' by David Myers : Comments

By Ian Callinan, published 15/2/2006

Justice Ian Callinan reviews David Myer's book 'The Bohemian Bourgeois'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and agree wholeheartedly with Justice Callinan's comments.

A large part of its attraction is the way in which the author awakens the reader's emotions and sympathy; we are soon reliving our own embarassments and personal tragedies, as well as happier memories, through his stories.

I am of much the same era and share many nostalgic memories; but none of the academic ones, as I didn't attend a university.

It is hard to imagine anyone who would not gain a lot from reading The Bohemian Bourgeois (or should it be The Bourgeois Bohemian?).
Posted by Working Kelpie, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 2:44:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Justice Callinan

I will not read David Myers book. You short synopsis told me it would merely be a book recalling from where I have come. Your descriptive details convey that clearly. While such a study is admirable I have sufficient recall and self-criticial ability to evaluate my past, thereby allowing a reasoned assessment of how and to where I have currently evolved.

Autobiographies and biographies are great ways we learn without doing. As such they would be wonderful reading for later generations. Your recommendations warrant serious consideration for those of us who hadn't experienced Saturday Morning Football, fish on Fridays or the Sunday Mass.

However like yourself I'd consider buying a sequel which delved into Myers travels through academia. It would be a wonderful revelation.

Happy writers...hmmm W.Sommerset Maugham, Kypling, Twain, Grim, Andersen, Aesop and Swift spring readily to mind. Yes I know! They are among the exceptions and most are aimed at the very young.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 8:34:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy