The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are we deceived by multiculturalism? > Comments

Are we deceived by multiculturalism? : Comments

By Danny Nalliah, published 6/1/2006

Danny Nalliah argues immigrants must be prepared to do more to assimilate into Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. All
LittleAgreeableBuddy, I am sorry for your loss. It takes great strength of character to join such a program and allow positives to come from tragedy. However, I personally know it is an easier road in the end then to hate or seek revenge.

I read with interest your remarks on maintaining one's culture and your friends who have assimilated. I guess I have issues with this whole concept of assimilation, in particular how far should people be expected to assimilate. Various studies on assimilation and theories offered over and last 60 years are inconclusive. Frequently assimilition has been seen in religious groups (Protestant, Catholic and Jewish), rather then in cultural groups themselves. The debate continues, with current trends leaning back to multiculturism disguised with names like cultural plurism.

I am curious, agreeable buddy, surely your friends still hold some of their cultural heritage, even if they now behave in a manner consistent with Australian society. Continuing to choose partners from ones birth nation retards the pace of assimilation and maintains cultural practices. Personally, I think traditions are important practices in everyones lives. Why do we all celebrate Christmas in families in special and traditional ways? My partner once told me that sometimes the answer is simply 'just because'. The 'just because' in this case is 'just because it is part of who we are'. Are you saying that when you take on a new country all your traditions should be dropped, thus dropping part of the self? What would be the consequences of this? Even if traditions slowly change it takes many many years for assimilation to occur. Between some cultures it will never occur because the traditions of their past are too different.

I agree Danny, some immigrants need to do more to assimilate. But where is the line drawn? What allowances are made for those who simply cannot? It may take a few generations in some cultures. Not only will the rate differ interculturally but it will vary intraculturally. The latter particularly effected by age groups and the assimilation of other family members.
Posted by Coraliz, Monday, 30 January 2006 10:53:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi All

Rainier (posted 3:19:13 PM 21/1/06)
France is next to Germany too, & they're all closer to England than much of Indonesia is to Australia. Are you suggesting that the whole of Europe embraces the dress, language, eating habits, dancing rituals, music styles, religion & legal system of say the Parisians?
Let the 170-million Muslims in Indonesia be who they are. Australia has a border too. Let Australians be a unique blend of what we were before the Whitlam philosophies tried to make us all unidentifiable from other nations. My daughter-in-law is a wonderful non-Christian Chinese lady who integrated. She left behind the poverty, suffering, politico-legal systems, dress-codes & culture of China when she 'escaped'. She's a proud Aussi.

Dobbadan (posted 3:45:57 PM 21/1/06)
I again refer you & others to the hyperlink to the Qur'an, viz:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/.
Unlike other religious text - including the Humanist Manifestos I & II - of all other religions, which are consistent throughout, the Qur'an is not. It is in constant conflict with itself in accordance with what is called “An-Nasekh wa Al-Mansoukh” (the abrogated & abrogating text). I can give examples in both Arabic & English to ad nausium.
Your comments about the Police in WA goes much further. In Victoria an arrest must be handled with 'diplomacy' across certain cultures. I deal with the NSW, Victorian & AFP at "senior levels" (Commissioner). Very worrying. Governments? Arrrggh!

Kalweb (posted 4:53:51 PM 21/1/06)
Spot on! Refer my comments to Jolanda in my 8:48:03 AM posting today (30/1). I see it often.

Hamlet (posted 1:57:20 PM 26/1/06)
You "slam-dunked" that one. Well said.

RObert (posted 2:26:37 PM 26/1/06)
New Zealand is another Aussie state, isn't it? I've worked with some great Kiwi musicians - they all lived in Bondi.

Rainier (posted 12:13:03 PM 27/1/06)
I don't see a person's colour - I just accept or reject the individual according to his/her morals & ethics. I notice a language accent for purposes of introductory conversation. Often people 'open up' over that topic.

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Monday, 30 January 2006 7:51:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was a refugee from Cambodia and I love this country because it gives me new life, new beginning with many opportunities to pursue,so I always seek to give back of myself to help my fellow Australians in whatever ways possible to contribute to the well being and stability of this country. I was so proud to receive Australian citizenship in 1985 and I along many others were pledged on the Holy Bible to abide by the constitutional law of the country. Peter Costelo was rightevery
person wants to become Australian citizen must abide by the law
thecountry. Countries that adopted sharia law have so much violence, strife,atrocities ESP directed towards women and young girls. All good
,loyal,law abiding citizens and loving life and loving this country will agree with Peter Costelo that shaira law is unacceptable here.
Posted by Tamar, Friday, 24 February 2006 3:19:47 PM
Tamar

Welcome to OLO and thank you for your contribution to this wonderful country. We need people like you.

Best wishes for your life
Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Friday, 24 February 2006 4:13:41 PM
This forum is great as the newspapers and electronic media can't be trusted with the truth as they play games with words and reports that cannot be proved,..I read a report on a public forum that 100 people sent letters to the Editor of an Australian newspaper to test their honesty and fairness ,found that of the 100 letters sent by different addresses on a very important topic that only 3 were published,but if you wrote on racism they go with that.

Multiculturalism hasn't worked in the UK,USA,NZ and or Australia,never will , when we import an entirely new culture that clashes with Christianity.

Just do some research on Mohammed and Jesus Christ and compare their teachings,which are poles apart,Jesus taught and lived love to the end.

You won't ever get a fair deal from media on Christianity and what God is doing all over the world in a positive way,they only print or show negativity on Christians ,Bible,Creation,Church,Christianity,and how much God loves all mankind.

The Bible tells us in the book of Acts that we are all of one blood,so why don't people act like it?

Muslims whinge,call anyone ,"racist" and intolerant when they are challenged on the way they live and treat others who don't agree with what they demand to be changed to their way of thinking .Go to website below and see for yourselves.

http://dog-pundit.blogspot.com/2005/10/horrific-murders-of-christian-school.html
Posted by dobbadan, Friday, 24 February 2006 10:58:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi all

Tamar (posted 3:19:47 PM 24/2/06)

Thank you & congratulations for your attitude towards Australia. You are precisely the type of person who is welcome to share in the blessings & wonderment that is "the Land of the Great Southern Cross".

Tragically many people confuse racial origins/ethnicity with multiculturalism - they are divergent philosophies.

I have little doubt that the reason that you &/or your family came to Australia was to escape persecution or victimisation. You have embraced the Australian culture & realise that there is a debt of gratitude required in becoming an Australian Citizen. That 'repayment' is simply to conform to the norms of Australia - its laws, its basic beliefs & its standards.

That's not too hard. It just takes respect for the country which allowed you to come here, & now regards you as one of us.
(25/2/06)

Kalweb (posted 4:13:41 PM 24/2/06)

Hear, Hear!
(25/2/06)

dobbodan (posted 10:58:44 PM 24/2/06)

Sadly, what you say is true. However, it is nonetheless true, & it is up to Australians to finally realise that truth.

Chamberlain tragically succumbed to the false beliefs & hopes of a world living in peace - his decisions & rhetoric was only righted by Churchill's determinations & the combined effort of many nations. The cost as some 60-million lives.

If Europe had acted appropriately when it 'knew' the truth many millions of lives would have been saved. Certainly 6-million Jews wouldn't have been killed.

Will mankind learn from its past errors? Unlikely, if history shows us anything. Whatsmore, when its too painful to confront us, we simply ignore history - or stop teaching it.
(25/2/06)

Cheers all
Posted by LittleAgreeableBuddy, Saturday, 25 February 2006 10:42:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy