The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer > Comments

Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer : Comments

By Jason Falinski, published 28/12/2005

Jason Falinski argues the Sydney riots were the result of government welfare policies which removed hope.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
I am used to different opinions in this Forum.

However, none explains me how to start own topic? And what is a criterion to have one’s article/letter published for a discussion?

Surely, in a country where racism is de-facto basic stone from the First Fleet, linking an enployment opportunity with welfare sounds more than naive if this word was appropriate to describe a submission recent deliberation was initiated with.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 28 December 2005 3:50:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having read the coments here, I thought I must have miss read the article, but no. When I reread it, it was as I thought, a well reasoned account of the problem, & a design for the cure.
It mentions the lousy immigration, housing, & welfare policies, which are the caused the problem. It details the softly, softly policing policies, which have allowed the problem to ferment, into a potent brew, & suggests the policing necessary to cure the problem.
It missed in only two places.
1; The lousy schools, with no discipline, where teachers try to just survive, & to hell with teaching for one.
2; The politicians who are more interrested in votes from these communities, than policing them.
I have a couple of answers, who doesn't?
Minimum sentences, to toughen up the legal system, made usless by our current crop of magristrates.
Work for the dole. It workes. The ones who hate it, go get a job to get out of it. These are usually the leaders. Once they have done it, the rest can follow, with out loss of face.
When they have a few bob, & a legal car, there is no thought of going back. I have seen it turn around a couple of dozen hard core bludgers in my community
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 4:24:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jason begins by arguing that we shouldn't finger point and that there are too many contributing factors to make it a feasible exercise anyway. Agreed.

Yet by the end of his article, he is certainly finger pointing and with one finger at that, with his simplistic claim that welfare is the cause.

He dismisses the possibility that disparity in income and opportunity may be a contributing factor when he states, "We will not make progress while claiming the gap between rich and poor is widening, when the statistical evidence shows the opposite."

Let's see this evidence, Jason.

In 1996, the richest 20% in Australia earned 10 times that of the poorest 20%. Just four years later, in the year 2000, the richest 20% earned 13 times as much. I don't have the statistics, but another four or five years on and I'm sure the gap is even wider.

After allowing for both welfare transfers and income tax, a recent Luxembourg Income Study estimates that Australia has the sixth largest percentage gap between rich and poor out of 23 surveyed OECD countries.

The gap between the rich and poor in this country is undeniably large and is growing, and I'm sure many would agree it goes a long way towards explaining events such as Redfern and Cronulla. It certainly shouldn't be dismissed out of hand as Jason has done here.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 4:27:14 PM
Jason proves that just about anyone who aspires to have a high public profile can write a line dancing polemic with just enough logic in it to make some sense. Any of our resident online troglodyte posters could write a better piece than this with some help.

Pre selection jostling must be in the wind in some marginal Liberal Sydney electorate is my guess. His lack of intelectual rigor in discussing the complexities of these riots is conveniently compensated for by taking the old ‘don’t point fingers’ but “let me point mine” approach. Yawn!

Last time I looked Jason was the president of the Point Piper branch of the Liberal Party.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 5:06:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nothing in this article explains why - when inflamatory text messages were sent to St Kilda in Melbourne - the result was a multi-cultural cricket match and not a riot or lockdown. I think that the Sydney climate of hard right Shock Jocks plus the materialistic mind set which is fostered by current economic rationalist policies has much to answer for.
Posted by Nimue, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 5:50:55 PM
Nimue, St Kilda is home to a large number of Howard hating,rabid leftie culture vultures. It is also a suburb with a higher socio economic demographic - in other words, people with a lot to lose if they dare to step out of line.

In Sunshine there was an ethnic brawl, barely mentioned by the media. Sure, there was'nt 5,000 people to see it and no media to catch it all on camera.

The main problem is that people with anti-multicultural views and those that want to see immigration levels reduced are simply not represented anywhere. Political movements to adress these concerns are quickly infiltrated by pro-multicultural moles and shut down. No media or political representation. So the steam has to be let off somehow, and for the people of Cronulla, violence is the only option
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 8:09:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All