The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer > Comments

Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer : Comments

By Jason Falinski, published 28/12/2005

Jason Falinski argues the Sydney riots were the result of government welfare policies which removed hope.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All
JOLANDA there u go again dear :) wrong thread.. *pinch*.....

CRONULLA the SYMPTOM National Renewal the Medication.

The Cronulla riot, demonstrated many things. There is 'blame' to apportion, and fingers can be pointed.

1/ Well intentioned patriotism which was easily hijacked into violence by 'provocetuers'. I did not even see ONE of the actual rally organizers shown addressing the crowd on TV.

2/ Poor settlement policies, short sighted immigration policies with uninformed, or just plain 'idealistic' assumptions about human nature behind them.

3/ Naive and flawed and even discriminatory Policing policies which place higher priority on low crime statistics in politically sensitive areas than on the rule of law.

LESSONS.

1/ There is strong passion among Aussies for their culture.
2/ Emails, SMS etc are an effective medium for mobilizing large numbers of people and VOTERS.

PREDICTION

A new political force is on the horizon, held loosely together by some very basic issues. Meeting in cells and small groups. No leader, no party, unable to be infiltrated, no one to attack, just a common heart and mind.
The silent majority, will emerge from its 'silence' increasingly as it realizes there IS a way of effecting change.

P.S. did anyone notice the SNEAKY answer Mark Vale gave when he was asked if 'The cost of pharmeceuticals will increase if the Labor Amendment is removed from the AUS/USA FTA ? He said "The cost of medicines will not increase"... what did he REALLY say with these words ?

1/ The amendment which prevents RE-patenting already expensive drugs is not needed, 'we have protection under patent law' [COMMENT err..WHO has protection ? its not 'US' it is the DRUG COMPANIES.]

2/ The cost of drugs will not INcrease.

BUT... when patents run out... GENERIC drugs become CHEAPER !
So, with that ammendment in place, PBS drugs should REDUCE in price!
He is saying they WONT.

Crafty Mark... very crafty indeed. *SPIN*
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 4 January 2006 9:50:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kenny, find me evidence of one Anglo gang problem. Find me evidence of any anglo gang rapes that are racially motivated; find me evidence that shows there are groups of thugs that hang around certain places, such as Darling Harbour/plazas/parks/trains/beaches, that consistently engage in abuse, intimidation and bashings; find me evidence of even one case where a group of anglos kicked, stabbed, or shot to death an ethnic person merely for racial reasons; find me evidence of police needing to retreat to their station house due to the severe intimidation and threats of murder and rape of their wives from a group of anglos.

Anyone can look in any month's news archives and find such crimes committed by either Middle-eastern thugs, South-east Asian thugs or Pacific Islander thugs. I have never, ever, found such a month where such crimes were committed by a group or groups of Anglo thugs. Notice I specifically speak of "group crime", as individual crime is often perpetrated by the desperate or insane, whereas generally the ethnic-gang group crime I am referring to is carried out by young racist thugs who are well dressed, clean, wearing expensive clothes and jewellry, and driving hotted up cars. The main differnece is that the ethnic racist thugs are not self abusing, but they are heavily involved in crime and anti-social behaviour in general. This can only indicate a severe selfishness and ethnocentrism, where no-one but them and their race even matter.

Also, why shouldn't I assume that the whole Lebanese muslim community in Australia is racist? No-one from that community ever acknowledges the nazi-gang-type problem they have, all they ever do is complain of mistreatment but put forth no hard evidence, just "feelings about the way the media speaks, or Tampa". Until people from within that community start to acknowledge that they seem to have a higher proportion of racists than most other ethnic communities, then why shouldn't I be angry, disgusted, and just plainly assume that they all are racist bigots?
Posted by Matthew S, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:11:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have come to the conclusion the author of this feckless article, Jason Falinski drivels simplistic absurdities over the outcome of " Cronulla.Dec 11/05 " Our day of infamy.

His 'deja-vu' thesis, I am afraid wouldn't even rate a mention in a HSC essay competition - let alone appear in this Forum ? To a point, his other submissions aren't much better.

Normally, I prefer to ' play the ball, rather than the man '.

His Liberal Party arrogance got to me. Former President of the Young Liberal's Movement, bespeaks volumes.

I fear his unconvincing arguments about graffiti, fare evasion, Rodney King, crime in NY..etc is an indictment he watches too much Foxtel. Wouldn't it just be marvellous we can solve 50 ++ years of social, economic and psychological modalities, on such a narrow perspective ? Isn't it symptomatic though, of the underlying problems facing Society today to conjure up naive ' band-aid's 'as remedies to pandemics ? Unfortunately, his choice of comparison - the US is a worst example. The Bronx, Queen's, even Harlem have absolutely no relativity to Sydneyville. Like comparing the streets of Calcutta or Bali to Martin Square CBD. No contest.

Quote: ' you cant fix crime unless you fix the enviornment '. Yeah. Dismantle the bureaucracy. Give palsy-wallsy Amanda Vanstone the chop ? Bulldoze the ghetto's at Macquarie Fields, Lakemba, Redfern ? Public Housing estates in Melbourne ? WestEnd in Brissy ? Just what do we do with the flotsam and jetsam of humanity Jason - send them to the gas-chambers. Perhaps off-shore Nauru or maybe Baxter in SA ? More enigmas, less realistic proposals.

His references to Kevin Shreiber, Mayor of Sutherland " it could happen anywhere " One-dimensional nonsense. It cant and wont ever happen in Wynnum, Cleveland, Coolangatta, or all along our magnificent coastline to the Whitsunday's and beyond. Peter Beattie's personal guarantee.

Welcome to the Sunshine State - beautiful one Day. Perfect the next !

Other myopic references only add fuel to his youthful exuberance. With quasi-intellectual's of his calibre - no wonder the Young Liberal's are a problematic anachronism.

continued:
Posted by dalma, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:20:46 AM
Telling inflammatory ' porkies ' about the stabbing of two Lifeguards puts the final moral/ethical stamp of credibility where it rightfully belongs - the proverbial ' feckle-shute '. Not one statement - official or otherwise from NSWPD Commissioner Maroney indicated an attempt was made on the lives of voluntary Lifeguards. Why, pray, exacerbate an already 'volatile situation' by sexing-up a new's item ? Sorry Jason, your street-cred is shot for good. Your journalistic extravangaza is not only 'verboten', it's tacky and in bad taste.

But then, paradoxically, the Libs have always besmirched their Political rivals - in and out of Parliament. Telling porkies is an art form perfected like no other by JWH. Pity too - for followers of National History, the lies, deceit and fradulent claims - all too apparent in the tabloids are a mundane occurrence. Too often celebrated in Parliament with as much gusto as a floundering damp squib !

Despite JH's draconian clamp on FOI ( freedom of infomation ) to suppress truth. Deny dialog and repress debate, his latest ' patriot act ' legislation comes at a sobering price. People will come to realise we are mindlessly following George Bush's ' soft-shoe-shuffle-smoke-and-mirror ' balancing act. Anon, mark-my-words Orwellian Big-brother will shamelessly reveal ( like our US counterparts) we've also been victims of phone-taps for years -long before Set 11.

Why else do we subscribe to " PINE GAP " even though it's been off limits since 1974's Gough Whitlam's bloopers. The cohort secrecy that surrounds this establishment on our soil, has been the subject of numerous controversal expose's. Indeed, bugging decent ozzie citizens contravenes the Privacy Act ? AS if we didn't know ?

Cheers
Posted by dalma, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:50:00 AM
Jason, it is a thought provoking and genuine posting that, by reasoning of the 'Not happy, Jason' replies, I believe, contains more than a modicum of truth.
The means by which the lifesavers were molested is immaterial to this discussion. To address such a mistake in order to denigrate the message does little to recommend the reply posting.
Cronulla, of course, is still a highly emotive topic however I think that Jason's observation does have an application here, and in many other sectors of our society. The welfare net is a crucial component of our society but that cannot blind us the welfare trap that many find themselves in. Many cultures across our society, from the Indigenous and those that came later, know the pitfalls and ramifications of a welfare net that eventually cages and strangles hope if the impetus to rise is removed. To wake up of a morning with no purpose or hope would be a degrading and, ultimately, dehumanising struggle. Many of those that find themselves there understand that all too well and would sympathise with Jason's view, even if it reflects harshly upon themselves.
Jason did say that he would put forward things we may not want to hear and he was correct in that assumption.
The message was one of compassion if you were to look just a bit further than the angst that portions of it may have caused.
Posted by Craig Blanch, Thursday, 5 January 2006 11:21:45 AM
It (a Cronulla riot) could really happen anywhere could egocentrizm, isolation and schooling at home rule.
Posted by MichaelK., Friday, 6 January 2006 11:44:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy