The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer > Comments

Cronulla: finger pointing not the answer : Comments

By Jason Falinski, published 28/12/2005

Jason Falinski argues the Sydney riots were the result of government welfare policies which removed hope.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. All
Jason's suggestion that removing the welfare system might create hope is far fetched and not realistic.

We have seen how the introduction of the GST which supposedly had to regulate the ‘cash’ deals and tax evasion has not done so.

The facts are that some groups of people will not integrate into the social fabric regardless.

To stop welfare is to take the candy out of the baby tiger's mouth.

Crime and riots will always follow.
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 7:51:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's new...since when did two surf-lifesavers get stabbed? I was under the distinct impression three surf-lifesavers were bashed. Do you know something I don't?

I agree blame shouldn't be attribited. But all the people involved in violence should accept responsibility for their actions. Any solution must involve all sections of the community showing responsibility by recognising and accepting the behaviour of those, from their particular community, involved in violence. Then to condemn that behaviour and ensure those elements are made to feel their community expects them to take responsiblity for their actions. What shouldn't be done is for denial of basic facts to occur, as is happening in the Lebanese Muslim community, particularly with those involved in violent racist attacks prior to the Cronulla RIOT.

That is being done by almost every commentator at present, including the current commentator.

Take A look at OLO. Only one of the commentators, David flint, actually names Lebanese Muslim youths as the group primarily involved in the violence that preceeded the RIOT.
Every commentator acknowledges and/or blames the involvement of Anglo youths at Cronulla.

While the Lebanese Muslim community refuses to apportion responsibility to those rogue elements within their community they are tacitly allowing the finger be pointed at rogue elements within the greater community. The more sublime fingerpointing is at greater community, for that fingerpointing includes all those excuses that blames the greater community by trying to mitigate or lessen the responsibility for their own elements violent behaviours.

That is leading to resentment by the sections of community who have acknowledged the violent and stupid misbehaviour, and condemned those elements within their own communities.

Jason hasn't spoken a truer word when he says.

'No progress can be made while claiming that one group’s problems and grievances can be blamed on another'.

That's exactly what Sydney's Lebanese Muslim Community, the 'sympathetic' commentators and OLO are doing.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:00:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Methinks Jason's message is that we should stop pointing fingers at people and start pointing fingers at failed policies. I guess that's hard for some of our armchair Nazis on these forums who love pointing index fingers at others without realising that 3 index fingers point right back at themselves.
Posted by Irfan, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:10:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan this is not the first time I have seen you cast generalised aspersions. Instead of casting aspersions on those who don't hold exactly the beliefs and views you hold why don't you come straight out and name names and give specific examples of their nazism.

Or better still counter their views.

Such is what makes people and lifestyles wholesome.
Posted by keith, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:15:57 AM
as an armchair goebbels i love pointing fingers......especially with a nazi salute.....it's so empowering, and i encourage everyone to try it.

we should point fingers because those retard politicians and social engineers responsible for immigration, multiculti and law enforcement policies are the root cause of social disintegration.

and these failed pollies need to be exposed and ridiculed before the public as the failures they are......and that means you labour party.
Posted by vinny, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:43:25 AM
yes forget the interfaith talks, they are so fake its perverse.

point the finger i reckon, were it belongs.

some one just said we all acknowlage the Anglo pat of Cronulla, i think thats more like we see it that Anglos who were tolerent for so long lost their temper oneday.
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:48:43 AM
Jason Falinski's piece on welfare and crime has no relevance to the Cronulla riots and their causes.

Like France, Australia inists on burying its head in the sand or trying to explain the Muslim problem away with anything but the obvious.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 10:04:31 AM
Jason begins:
"On Sunday, December 11, the fabric of the Australian ideal was torn."
Incorrect. The fabric of Cronulla in the Liberal electorate Cook was torn. The rest of Australia was not torn. The tear in Cronulla was reported to the rest of Australia. That does not mean that all Australia is grieving. Read the papers up here in Queensland. It is a Sydeny problem.

"It was not the first time, and it will not be the last."
Correct.

"We have learnt from our past that it is in the knitting together of our community, the healing, that real and long lasting progress is made."
Incorrect. We have not learned to knit. Just who knits in the community these days. No need to go on.
Posted by GlenWriter, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 10:41:04 AM
Jason is a liberal and just trying to pass the buck, Irf's a mozzie and trying to pass the buck, Coach is a christian and trying to pass the buck. The Pc's are begining to squirm as they agenda slowly comes unstuck

Lots of answers here for the smoldering inferno that lies beneath the surface of our society. No one will take responsiblity, they will just hope it goes away. Why isn't the federal lib/lab coalition saying much, they want the focus taken away from them. Because they are fully aware that their direction is wrong and the only way they can keep control is to allow chaos to become the norm. Then the true police state will be invoked, we have seen it before throughout the world, and we will see it here this coming year unless a miracle happens.

DO I hear any of the religous volunteering to get their god to give us at least one useful miracle in 2000 years that actually works.

Irf, coach, did I hear your chairs squeek as you jumped up to raise your hands, or what that just you both leaving the room quickly.

I doubt that anything can be done until the root cause is removed, religion
Posted by The alchemist, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 1:08:25 PM
Jason: These things just do not happen by themselves and to not point to the instigators is incredible stupid and even un-Australian.
Recently I read a speech by a senior Sydney Policeman - forgive me as I have forgotten its source - he talks about the Lebanese community. If I recall or find this horrific scary speech elsewhere I will let you all know.
We the public need and must know who are the perpetrators of crime and violence.
So we can hate them and throw rocks at them - no! forewarned is forearmed.
How would you have reported the criminal, cowardly, senseless, thuggish, brutal attack on the public serving defenceless lifesavers by ethnic lebanese hoods?
If the Lebanese criminals were not identified they, as would any other group of thugs, see that as carte-e-blanche for further attacks.
You only had to see these "brave?" hoods when the Police collared them, suddenly knowing they were identified and nabbed they became compliant little lambs - "who us Officer?" numbat
Posted by numbat, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 1:50:53 PM
Irfan Usuf doesn't like the comments and all he sees is "Armchairs of Nazis" prowling this site haunting him with home truths.
Name calling does not alter the facts Irfan.

Our problem is only with a small section of the Lebanese community that came from the lawless war torn areas of Lebanon and like a rotten apple it is beginning infect the rest of the community.

Our PC Govt and it whimpish judiciary have all but destroyed our police force(service."Do you want fries with that?")and that is why we have such a proliferation of crime.It is both an immigration and law and order problem.Tim Priest predicted this years ago.

The sniverl libertarians and Irfan want a Bill of Rights so people will not be able to be described according to their ethnic origins or religion and thus the crime will fester even more un the umbrella of an even more politically correct legal system.

Let's have a warts and all debate,speak the truth then if the community puts enough pressure on our Govt,they will eventually have the balls to act.

Welfare is a side issue.The criminals just use welfare to entrench themselves in even more crime.

The covering up of crime and anti social behaviour will only hurt the Muslim/Middle Eastern community even more.

Irfan why don't you put pressure on the Iemma Govt to get tough on this section of your community that is giving you all such a bad reputation?Cut the cancer out now before it spreads.The PC brigade will only entrench your community in more denial,lies and cover up.

I know good Lebanese people who are crying out for some one to have the guts to put and end to this nonsense.Do you have the guts to make a start?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 3:01:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My Grandfather got shot up fighting the Nazis and his brother killed by them, all so Ifran and I have the rightsn in Australia we do today. Personally I don't dive a flying fig if Ifran can cope/adjust or not.

A friend of mine is a truck driver and had the police radio on all through the Sydney Multicultural riots, He said the cops were terrified and couldn’t deal with it at all.

We need a petition to lobby for a commonwealth level enquiry into the inability of the police forces to combat islamic crime. They face physical retribution by islamists and also legal issues (i.e. calls of racism for attempting to police islamic thugs) I think it takes about 15000 signatures to prompt a legislation change, so very doable, even if its more to get a Government enquiry.

Other issues include the so called peace pact by the Bra boys and Comancheros (leb bikie gang famous from Milperra Massacre)

Also the Multicult rioter from Cronulla (an Anglo man)who is in supposed hiding after death threats from the Lebs

Our police need supposrt and strengtht against this or we will end up like Paris, which is still burning today.

NUMBAT

Here is the whistle blowing speech by an x Sydney detective.
http://www.australian-news.com.au/The%20rise%20of%20Middle%20Eastern%20crime%20in%20Australia.pdf
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 3:45:39 PM
I am used to different opinions in this Forum.

However, none explains me how to start own topic? And what is a criterion to have one’s article/letter published for a discussion?

Surely, in a country where racism is de-facto basic stone from the First Fleet, linking an enployment opportunity with welfare sounds more than naive if this word was appropriate to describe a submission recent deliberation was initiated with.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 28 December 2005 3:50:08 PM
Having read the coments here, I thought I must have miss read the article, but no. When I reread it, it was as I thought, a well reasoned account of the problem, & a design for the cure.
It mentions the lousy immigration, housing, & welfare policies, which are the caused the problem. It details the softly, softly policing policies, which have allowed the problem to ferment, into a potent brew, & suggests the policing necessary to cure the problem.
It missed in only two places.
1; The lousy schools, with no discipline, where teachers try to just survive, & to hell with teaching for one.
2; The politicians who are more interrested in votes from these communities, than policing them.
I have a couple of answers, who doesn't?
Minimum sentences, to toughen up the legal system, made usless by our current crop of magristrates.
Work for the dole. It workes. The ones who hate it, go get a job to get out of it. These are usually the leaders. Once they have done it, the rest can follow, with out loss of face.
When they have a few bob, & a legal car, there is no thought of going back. I have seen it turn around a couple of dozen hard core bludgers in my community
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 4:24:08 PM
Jason begins by arguing that we shouldn't finger point and that there are too many contributing factors to make it a feasible exercise anyway. Agreed.

Yet by the end of his article, he is certainly finger pointing and with one finger at that, with his simplistic claim that welfare is the cause.

He dismisses the possibility that disparity in income and opportunity may be a contributing factor when he states, "We will not make progress while claiming the gap between rich and poor is widening, when the statistical evidence shows the opposite."

Let's see this evidence, Jason.

In 1996, the richest 20% in Australia earned 10 times that of the poorest 20%. Just four years later, in the year 2000, the richest 20% earned 13 times as much. I don't have the statistics, but another four or five years on and I'm sure the gap is even wider.

After allowing for both welfare transfers and income tax, a recent Luxembourg Income Study estimates that Australia has the sixth largest percentage gap between rich and poor out of 23 surveyed OECD countries.

The gap between the rich and poor in this country is undeniably large and is growing, and I'm sure many would agree it goes a long way towards explaining events such as Redfern and Cronulla. It certainly shouldn't be dismissed out of hand as Jason has done here.
Posted by Bronwyn, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 4:27:14 PM
Jason proves that just about anyone who aspires to have a high public profile can write a line dancing polemic with just enough logic in it to make some sense. Any of our resident online troglodyte posters could write a better piece than this with some help.

Pre selection jostling must be in the wind in some marginal Liberal Sydney electorate is my guess. His lack of intelectual rigor in discussing the complexities of these riots is conveniently compensated for by taking the old ‘don’t point fingers’ but “let me point mine” approach. Yawn!

Last time I looked Jason was the president of the Point Piper branch of the Liberal Party.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 5:06:05 PM
Nothing in this article explains why - when inflamatory text messages were sent to St Kilda in Melbourne - the result was a multi-cultural cricket match and not a riot or lockdown. I think that the Sydney climate of hard right Shock Jocks plus the materialistic mind set which is fostered by current economic rationalist policies has much to answer for.
Posted by Nimue, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 5:50:55 PM
Nimue, St Kilda is home to a large number of Howard hating,rabid leftie culture vultures. It is also a suburb with a higher socio economic demographic - in other words, people with a lot to lose if they dare to step out of line.

In Sunshine there was an ethnic brawl, barely mentioned by the media. Sure, there was'nt 5,000 people to see it and no media to catch it all on camera.

The main problem is that people with anti-multicultural views and those that want to see immigration levels reduced are simply not represented anywhere. Political movements to adress these concerns are quickly infiltrated by pro-multicultural moles and shut down. No media or political representation. So the steam has to be let off somehow, and for the people of Cronulla, violence is the only option
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 8:09:54 PM
Bronwyn,
For what it's worth, I think you are on the right track, however that track is in itself worthy of an article for discussion. Hasbeen, I agree that a job can give someone a sense of identity, and belonging, provided that job has decent wages and conditions, otherwise the opposite can be true, robbing people of confidence in themselves and leading along a path not disimilar to the current one. Bronwyn, please submit an article on the widening gap between rich and poor in Australia, it would make for a pleasent change from recent articles, Regards,Shaun
Posted by SHONGA, Wednesday, 28 December 2005 9:13:49 PM
Jason,

An attempt at finding the problem.

Unfortunately, your liberal views and your political background has skewed your analysis.

Not everything comes down to politics. Perhaps to some extent it is a macro problem and what you mentioned may be 5% of the cause, but it is a micro problem to do with individual attitudes, community self isolation and a build up of tensions and negative slander in the community on both sides.

Life is 10% what happens, 90% how you deal with it. Policies and governments do not pull the populations strings as much as you might think. Just because the ALP may have attempted to improve the standard of living of its poorest citizens, does not mean they cop the wrath. Unlike your party, I dont feel the ALP is clever enough for ulterior motives such as stacking the electorates, it was what was thought was the best planning method at the time and it was often based recently finished overseas communites. They did not have a generation of analysis, and Australian communities were essentially less multicultural. Fact.

Your Liberal party has had the ability to control where the populations of new migrants were going in your flawless immigration policies. Intstead you treat Australia like a fun park, get in the gate and go for life, congregate in ghettos and isolate yourself, the most simple move is the most effective....allow a condition of entry to be 24 months in an area deemed in need of population, with labour shortages, with a proportionate mix of migrants.

Play the blame game and you lose sight of the simple solutions. you win more votes shooting them down than worrying about your own job.

Finally:

How many generations of Aborigines have been destroyed by welfare, and the drinking it led to?

I think you need to stop playing the blame game. If you take the responsibility away, you also take away the power. Thanks alot.
Posted by Realist, Thursday, 29 December 2005 9:45:23 AM
Jason,

Good point. Policy formulation and law enforcement is a key factor to end or limit youth and social problems we are facing today.

The issue can be easily resolved when we stop the blame game.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Thursday, 29 December 2005 10:19:32 AM
“Policy formulation and law enforcement is a key factor to end or limit youth and social problems” – words, words, words.

Non-Anglo-Celt youth does not want being into footsteps of their parents, oppressed biologically inferior slaves for older generation of recent Cronulla youngsters taking their "Aussie accent" as a sure grant for prosperity and managerial superiority over not so English fellow citizens.
Posted by MichaelK., Thursday, 29 December 2005 11:01:40 AM
Jason has made a very valid point; The Left has removed the Motive of existence, and near destroyed the fabric of honest trade and annihilated integrity in people- inhibited existentialism as a virtue – And all of that is being polite. Quashed intellectual ability and created a Guilt ridden society ready for conditioning to be robbed of all its virtue’s in the name of? “Social Justice”. Well, do we see any justice? - Nowhere to be found- just a society spiraling out of control and near ungovernable. We all can appreciate what that means.
This is the direct result of Fascism- Part Government- part Looter controlled Capitalism, meaning Criminal extortion not the integrity of capitalism that was to be honored and the initial intention of rewarding success.
Marxist Philosophies at work in part, and Irf’s hero Hitler was as left as Stalin , undoubtedly a “messenger” only a little smarter in short term economics, long term; is a terminal failure and we have reached that point of no return. Near three generations of State Dependant constituents as well as an Immigration policy well out of control and welfare dependant. Less than half a Nation Producing and More than half Looting; The tax paid by workers does not cover the Welfare Bill, how many other bills does the Australian Government pay? The future is not very Sweet I’m afraid.
Posted by All-, Thursday, 29 December 2005 1:06:54 PM
Please log-on to http://www.jihadwatch.org and really just what our pagan moslem friends are up to. numbat
Posted by numbat, Thursday, 29 December 2005 1:52:51 PM
All, Hasn't Howard and the Right been in power for last decade?
And where do you go to cut and paste all that gobble de gook into your posts? Its so theoretically dyslexic.. or is this your intention.. to appear to be pretentiously sophisticated without saying much at all
Posted by Rainier, Thursday, 29 December 2005 2:04:12 PM
Gee Rainer, you are being a bit hard, what cut and paste? If you do not understand anything, just ask, or even grab a dictionary. This was not a Howard problem; you know that, it started under Whitlam. Expand your horizons a little and employ your talents for the greater good of everyone, not just your self, start repaying society for what it has given you , and that is a chance to succeed. Discharge the crap some idiot has filled your head with and get on with it.
Read some of your contribution history, interesting Rainer, interesting.
If the best you can offer is insults mate butt out.
Posted by All-, Thursday, 29 December 2005 2:19:17 PM
The Background to all human conflict, of course is 'resources'

Gen 21
25 Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of water that Abimelech's servants had seized. 26 But Abimelech said, "I don't know who has done this. You did not tell me, and I heard about it only today."

27 So Abraham brought sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelech, and the two men made a treaty.

Abraham had been living among the Palestinians.. OOps.. that should read "Philistines" (same thing actually) inevitably, they started fighting over the BEACH.. ooops again..no, it was access to pasture and a well for watering animals.

Same old same old. "its our beach"..."NO... its OUR beach" Instead of Abimelech's herdsmen harrassing Abrahams, we have he Lebs and Anglo's going at it.

When Abimelech heard about the fault of his herdsmen blocking the well against Abraham, he fixed it by acknowledging the crime, and making a treaty with Abraham, hmm... I'm getting this mental picture of some Commanchero's and some Bra boys having a warm fuzzy here.....

But, like most things where the issue is really a clash of cultures, the 'fix' was short term.

The conclusion that 'policy' is the answer is correct, but rather belated.

-No large concentrations of single enthnic/religious groups in one area
-No immigration or State Settlement policies which allow too many people of a similiar profile to areas in which there is no employment.

-Zero tolerance, no nonsense policing. (the idea that police must inform the people they are 'moving on' of who they are and where they work is ludicrous, see open letter from serving policeman of 17yrs in the papers)

Nothing worked for Abraham, he ended up keeping on moving till 'no one harassed him' which took quite a while.

AAh I love the Genesis, its so up to date :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 29 December 2005 4:44:24 PM
that was a great article from the former cop, just unbelievable.

how cum the media isn't all over this debacle and expose how the labour gov has feminised the police force.......in fact why isn't the liberal opposition making an issue of this??

that peter ryan was a typical PC pmmy plodder, more worried about public relations and playing politics instead of controlling the streets.

the cops should go on strike and force changes.
Posted by vinny, Thursday, 29 December 2005 5:29:37 PM
Vinny

thats my question as well, cops should strike god wouldn't that show people.

A friend of mine is a truck driver and had the police radio on all through the Sydney Multicultural riots, He said the cops were terrified and couldn’t deal with it at all.

We need a petition to lobby for a commonwealth level enquiry into the inability of the police forces to combat islamic crime. They face physical retribution and also legal issues (i.e. calls of racism for attempting to police islamic thugs) I think it takes about 15000 signatures to prompt a legislation change, so doable even if its more to get a Government enquiry
Posted by meredith, Thursday, 29 December 2005 5:35:55 PM
Government policies have certainly removed hope. The Federal Government most of all. Its continuing funding of "niche" schools, separate to, and at the cost of, the State Education System is now bearing fruit in the complete dicthotomony of Cronulla.

The egalitarian, humanity based State Education System where all of us learnt the unbiased facts, is being driven into oblivion. The option of maintaining cultural links as an addition to a civic education has been removed.

The Fed's capital funding of private schools does not encourage acceptance of multi-culturalism but allows the school's proponents to isolate and proslytize their singular point of view - turning out less than well informed students with all the cultural bias of their homeland and none of the egalitarianism which has made Australia great.
Posted by hijacked, Thursday, 29 December 2005 7:46:55 PM
Not quite right Hijacked

Church schools were in existance in NSW long before The Public School System was formed and funded. Oh and they received funds from the NSW Government at the time. So much of what you've said is merely Teacher Union propaganda...misinformation.

Sad really.
Posted by keith, Thursday, 29 December 2005 8:04:19 PM
Unbelievable the right wing of society is using the typical sociologist stance to explain the Cronulla riots.

Has anyone heard of individual responsibility. Those gutless thugs that beat up female passerbys of Lebanese descent did it because they lived in public housing? What an insult to all of us that have grown up in public housing estates.

When we keep on fashioning excuses for pathetic actions on the existence of welfare policies or the like we rationalise anti social behaviour. What about middle class welfare like negative gearing that is costing $7 billion a year in subsidising the creation of suburban landlord empires.

Not everyone living in public housing or receiving welfare is sub human and beats up on people. We can tell right from wrong.

This is the typical North Shore view of the world lets cut off welfare and the riots won't occur again.

It is nonsense. Let the courts punish and rehabilitate the offenders, ultimately those individuals have to take responsibility for their actions.

Lets face facts the most cost effective way of providing cheap housing is by the public provision of housing units. Unfortunately the town planners have to fight the middle class nimbys who object to the integration of public housing in housing estates. These nimbys object to the ghetto like public housing estates but fight tooth and nail if a public housing unit would be built in their street. Maybe if we were to end the public subsidation of the middle class and divert the funds to creating low cost housing integrated within normal planning processes we weould create a better society.

But will the North shore silvertails give up their welfare, not likely.
Posted by slasher, Thursday, 29 December 2005 8:24:30 PM
slasher, this may be off topic but I'm kind of interested in what you mean by "public subsidation of the middle class".

Who is subsidising the middle class? It is my impression that the middle class is subsiding just about everybody else. Mostly caught at that point where they don't earn enough to have effective tax dodges and paying a lot more in tax than they get in government support, discounts etc. Am I missing out on some subsidisation that everybody else is getting?

Right now I pay out way too much of my income in taxes for what I consider to be a fair share of the cost of running this country. I'm doing the subsidisation, not being subsidised. On top of significant income tax I have to pay for my own housing (and upkeep), I have an ex with an adversion to work who I have to subsidise, I get taxed extra if I don't have private health cover (which I never use), I don't get concession prices on anything. Not a sob story, rather the reality for many of the so called middle class.

So I'll be really interested to know in what manner the middle class is being subsidised and by whom.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 29 December 2005 10:08:11 PM
i watch many american cop shows and the attitude is totally different......they aren't affraid to draw their guns and use them if their threatened by penisheads or use brutal force when faced by uncoperative retards.

the message soon gets out to the criminals and if any of them decide to retaliate against police or shoot up police stations the response from the cops would be bloody and brutal.......and the cops wwill always win because they have the law on their side.
Posted by vinny, Friday, 30 December 2005 5:27:36 AM
Rainier and Col.Rouge use the same idioms in messages. Sounding the same, speaking the same, acting synonymously - is one not the same person?
Something of English, something of welfare and nothing of a core issue which is racism as a skeleton of an Australia’s statehood
Posted by MichaelK., Friday, 30 December 2005 11:40:31 AM
Robert and Slasher,

I think you're both right in many respects.

"As recent study has shown that the old civic culture on which Australia was based (wage awards, arbitration, a strong public service) has been torn up by the "reformers" and that the economic results aren't accepted by middle Australia as making up for the highly insecure, distrustful, market-dominated world into which they have been plunged. Thus 80 per cent of his survey subjects are insecure about their future, 70 per cent believe wage-earners are the losers in economic reform and 86 per cent feel the income gap between rich and poor is too great".

So its not so much middle class being subsidised but that the economic saftety net is fast disappearing around middle class earners - making the drop to being poor much more permanent.

Imagine if riots were between white Anglos. What would be cause? Class? Status? That is wasn't does not discount these social indicators. My personal observation is that white Australians resent non-white Australians who are economically well of f or have the same economic base as they do. A sense of entitlement is obviously at
play.

See: http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/Uniken_May_p16.pdf
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 30 December 2005 11:56:29 AM
Just found out a friend of mine was the victim of an attempted Leb gang rape in Granville. Luckily, she was able to fight off her attackers. She said they had said they were after Aussie chicks to rape and tried to drag her into their car, but she resisted and was then stabbed her in the back (just missed her kidney) and beaten on her on her arms and back. She was black and blue i can tell you. A passerby showed up and the cowards jumped in their car and took off. Sadly she couldn't identify them as it was dark and she was busy defending herself.

I haven't heard a goddamn thing about this in the press. I wonder how many other assaults are covered up..
Posted by Sebby259, Friday, 30 December 2005 12:31:00 PM
lots Sebby, heaps and heaps of them

check this out it helps explain why
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=3999
Posted by meredith, Friday, 30 December 2005 12:34:22 PM
Excellent post, Rainier.

Vinny, you "watch many american cop shows"

I'm impressed!

..."and the attitude is totally different......they aren't affraid to draw their guns and use them if their threatened by penisheads or use brutal force when faced by uncoperative retards. the message soon gets out to the criminals and if any of them decide to retaliate against police or shoot up police stations the response from the cops would be bloody and brutal.......and the cops wwill always win because they have the law on their side."

I doubt very much whether US crime statistics would support the point you are trying to make, Vinny. With its prison industry flourishing and millions of its citizens in gaol, America has been described as "the world's leading incarceration state" - it's tough on crime and uses the death penalty where it can, yet I can't imagine its streets being any safer than ours.

Over thirty million Americans live in poverty and no amount of cops and robbers will change that, just as no amount of upping the ante on law and order here will change the situation for marginalised groups in our society.
Posted by Bronwyn, Friday, 30 December 2005 1:22:05 PM
Much of Australia's problems are being caused by ineffectual government , it seems to me that this country is being treated as the world's doormat and the government is too frightened to stop the rot in case we lose trade.....or something.
In the north we have foreign fishermen taking our fish, they have fished their own ocean without restraint until there was nothing left , now they are doing the same here. The government does nothing.
In the south, the japanese whalers are making merry with the whales that have managed a comeback after nearly being driven to extinction. The government does nothing.
We are allowing immigration of totally unsuitable people who , not understanding democracy, will never assimilate into this country.
Bringing tribal people into a western society is asking for trouble,the results are now being made apparent, the government sits back and permits it to go on.
Who else is to blame?
Posted by mickijo, Friday, 30 December 2005 1:43:49 PM
Sebby259,unfortunately there will be a lot more covering up of crime by those who have been pushing the "Multicultural Barrow"There is a surrepticious movement by the left to give absolute power to all the cultural minority groups.They are self deprecating Anglo hating radicals that want to over turn the present status quo.

All ordinary Australians want is a say in the quality of immigrant that comes to this country regardless of colour.

Multiculturalism is about divide and conquer.We can have a more intergrated and less racist society if people come here under our terms and not to roam our suburbs in an orgy of lawlessness.

The Multicultural lobby is extremely powerful and is backed by a lot of Federal and State funds ,not to mention the legions of left wing journalists.

The ideal of Multiculturalism has failed in in France and we are seeing it fail here.We are not proposing excluding other cultures from coming here,we just want to stipulate the terms and have a say in the quality of immigrant that come here.

The present Federal Govt are just as ignorant to what is happening in Sydney since John Howard blamed France's problems on lack of IR reforms and said it wouldn't happen here.

It is going to be a long hard battle because most of the print media journalists are from the left and have been brainwashed by a very cunning and sneeky Multicultural lobby.

The fight has only just begun and they will cover up and lie even more to protect their precious ideals,even if it means all your friends get raped and murdered where the media are not on watch.

The Middle Eastern gangs are so powerful that the Police,Govt and even many of their own people are too terrified to critise or act against them.The same scenarios have happened in France but on a far grander scale.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 30 December 2005 2:55:21 PM
robert, the middle class welfare i am referring to is negative gearing.

It goes like this I borrow a significant sum of money to buy an investment property say $400 000, the interest payments will be between $28000 and $35 000 per annum. I rent it out at $300 per week.

I am therefore making a loss of between $13 000 and $20 000 per year.

I can then use this loss from my investment to reduce my taxable income. If I am earning between $80 000 -$90 000 then I can reduce my income earnt in the highest tax bracket by between $13 000 and $20 000 effectively reducing my tax paid to the fed govt by between $6000 - $9000. So the Fed Govt (taxpayers or the general public are subsidising my investment. When I sell it in 5-7 years time I would only pay approximately 25% tax on the capital gain.

These arrangements are costing $7 billion a year.

What needs to be changed is losses from investments can only be written off against the same investment class. Therefore the losses from the interest payments would be limited to being written off against the earnings from the rental.

The taxation system is designed to encourage investment from debt rather than equity raisings and the public is subsidising it.
Posted by slasher, Friday, 30 December 2005 3:29:27 PM
Arjay,

Good post however one point:

>>The ideal of Multiculturalism has failed in in France and we are seeing it fail here.We are not proposing excluding other cultures from coming here,we just want to stipulate the terms and have a say in the quality of immigrant that come here.<<

France is not a good comparison to our multiculturalism situation. They, like the UK are paying a dear price for their past colonial heydays. The problem there is mainly from French-speaking north Africans with French passport arriving at there door steps and settling in ghettos.

Unlike Australia, France has a very strict immigration policy and an even tougher social security system for non-French residents. They also passionately hate foreigners.
Posted by coach, Friday, 30 December 2005 4:03:20 PM
How can France be said to have a "strict immigration policy", when there are over 5 million muslims most from northern Africa in that country?!?!
Posted by Sebby259, Friday, 30 December 2005 4:17:30 PM
Arjay appears to have slipped off his perch, Can someone help?
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 30 December 2005 4:40:25 PM
I think that the very base cause of the problems is that we use immigration to make ourselves look/feel good. You see all around western worlds some sort of competition who has the most diversity, or has the most refugees, or has the least racism. treating real people some sort of trophy cabinet.

We need to only allow immigration to those it would benefit. If we see that in the longer term they would probably not fit in easily or have to depend on welfare I think we need to accept that we are not doing anyone any favours in creating a subclass. Sometimes it is kinder to say no! I have immigrated a few times to similair cultures and found it very hard. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone in a totally alien culture.
Posted by Verdant, Friday, 30 December 2005 7:36:52 PM
Rainer, as I've said on many occasions,just refute my assertions in point form.Just put up or shut up.You,admitting to your civil libertarian activism,just really defines your agenda.It is all about taking from the very society that you profess to detest so much.

You and your latte sipping chardonnay set will suck off the tax payer in the form of a cushy Govt job and denegrate the very system that affords you such abundance.

You pretend to be the champion of the poor by telling them how to rort the social security system and appeal to their weakness of being victims,rather than their courage to achieve.

No I haven't become unhinged,just a little pissed off when I analyise the real agenda of the so called Multicultural Lobby.It is all about minority groups having power over the majority.This is not democracy!

Anyone who disagrees with any tenants of Multiculturalism is basically a racist.The Nazis had a similiar philosophy,only they called them traitors and deftly shot them.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 30 December 2005 10:46:59 PM
A French employers’ steady demand to bring in uneducated knowing nothing of trade unions and elementary human/job rights Algerians from the African hills was a very ground of a France’s "strict immigration policy", Sebby.
Posted by MichaelK., Saturday, 31 December 2005 11:41:23 AM
The same mistakes, huge mistakes ,are happening here. The 'Feel Good' brigade are making sure that in a generation or two, the population here will equal the third world both in demography and crime.
We are now getting as immigrants, tribal Africans with large families who will be dependant on welfare for ever, they cannot understand English,how are they ever going to get employment?
Like the muslim population, they are setting up Councils who will push for privileges for their own enclaves.
Talk to their Councils about MULTICULTURE, they only recognise their own culture. The rest of the nation are considered worthless.
That is what our children and grandchildren will be battling against.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 31 December 2005 3:20:03 PM
Surely, Africans are to depend here on welfare upon generations because even much light-skinned inhabitants leave this hopeless place in thousands if any opportunity to.

Taking slaves in – is it not a good gain itself to increase a number of bureaucrats privileged to be employed and paid wages in this country?
Posted by MichaelK., Sunday, 1 January 2006 11:42:52 AM
These post just make believe more that we can fix Australians image and problems by bombing Sydney and making sure no one gets out.
Get over yourselves there was no great Anglo paradise before the Muslims. There was no great Anglo paradise before the Asians. There was no great Anglo paradise before the Europeans. There was no great Anglo paradise before the Irish. There was no great Anglo paradise before the Saxons or even the Normans. Quit blame other people other groups for your problems. Tell me why is it the Muslim community that needs to solve the "Lebo gang" problem. Is George Pell and other "leaders" of the Anglo community responsible for solving the Anglo gang problem.
I’ll give you a hint stop blaming other people, groups or political parties for the problems and do something to solve the problem in a positive manner.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 2 January 2006 10:48:39 AM
Kenny

The cops did ok on the day at Cronulla, but I think the Military needed to come in and hammer the leb rampaging around Maroubra, etc I agree muslims cant deal with their own crime, id much prefer the Army :)

I’m actually very proud of my Convict Ancestors, they prevailed over such adversity, they didn’t go whining and suing, they just got over it n built a beautiful country. Hate us all you like, I doubt many of us give a stuff.
Posted by meredith, Monday, 2 January 2006 11:00:45 AM
Kenny:This place was better before the moslems - unfortunately.
Australia is the tops actually in spite of the moslems - unfortunately.
Any, repeat any white including Celto/Anglo country is so far ahead of all the squalid, dirty, depraved, dictatorial moslem countries.
The west could live without islam and the islamic world, it would be draconian but we could do it.
Moslems could not live without touching so many times a day something from western civilisation. Be it autos, radio, TV, aircraft,ships and on and on.
I am so thankful to live in this wonderful country, not perfect but bloody wonderful so free, so clean and decent.
Kenny just what islamic country would you move to? numbat
Posted by numbat, Monday, 2 January 2006 11:51:39 AM
Kenny no one is claiming this was paradise before the muslim 'invasion' but it sure has gone down the tube since.
Watched the New Year's celebration on TV, great shots of fun and jubilation in New York, London,Moscow ...Paris......wait a bit . What was that shot of Paris? Cars burning in the streets again. Pictures of muslim youth happy they had something to destroy again.

Happy New Year kenny,
Posted by mickijo, Monday, 2 January 2006 3:42:57 PM
Kenny, your post incensed me. If the pre 1950s immigration Australia was not an Anglo-Celtic paradise to what do you attribute the great desire of millions of migrants to immigrate? The Australia of the 1940s was a culturally homogenous, prosperous and successful nation, and 'British to our bootstraps' as our great leader proclaimed. What we have seen over the past 50 years is the slow erosion of our culture and increased Balkanisation of the community through unsolicited immigration. We have seen many (but not all) migrants maintain inferior cultural practices rather tenaciously, and as a result weakened our country. Is it coincidence the Australian culture (pre-1950) had no provisions for dictatorships, racial unrest and the degradation of morals that were witnessed in other countries then and now. Is it not unfair of Australians to demand that guests of our generosity (ie. immigrants) disavow themselves of their cultures and values, and adopt traditional Australian ones?
Posted by consort, Monday, 2 January 2006 5:01:57 PM
Consort,Kenny and Rainer are realising the tide of logic and facts are running against them.The Multicultural facists have been unveiled and they can no longer thrash us with their racism stick.Why bring in people of any race if they are not going to intergrate?It would be better to help them in their own countries.If they can't make it there with our help then they probably never will.

France had another 450 cars trashed on new years eve and the violence doesn't look like abating.Last time they had violence in over 300 different locations all over their country.Imagine the stories that you don't hear because the PC media and Govt are in damage control and are busily covering up the whole debacle as they are doing in Sydney.

This is the beginning if the end,unless they do something drastic.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 2 January 2006 5:37:50 PM
Jason Falinski wrote : "Our community does not need to spend more money on welfare, nor can it afford to keep spending money recklessly and negligently, ignoring the consequences. How many generations of Aborigines have been destroyed by welfare, and the drinking it led to?"

This is nothing but a crude attempt exploit the tragedy of the Cronulla riots to justify the odious 'welfare to work' legislation recently enacted by Jason Falinski's ideological compatriots in the Federal Government.

Jason Falinski wrote : "We will not make progress while claiming the gap between rich and poor is widening, when the statistical evidence shows the opposite."

What 'statistical evidence'?

The inflation figures figures which are used in the calculation of real wages fail to include the costs of housing which has rocketed up in recent decades, and a good many other factors which add to the cost of living.

The factual account of life in low wage occupations in "Dirt Cheap" by Elisabeth Wynhausen (see http://tinyurl.com/7rfjv, http://tinyurl.com/dxth8) shows that such claims about real wages having grown and the gap between rich and poor having shrunk are complete nonsense. If the overworked and miserably underpaid workers described in Whynhausen's book are indeed 13% better off than they were in 1996, as our Prime Minister repeatedly claims, then what must they have been earning back then?

These same sorts of dishonest arguments, put here by Jason Falinski, here have also been put previously by Peter Saunders of the right wing extremist Centre for Independent Studies and roundly refuted in another discussion thread. In case it may be of interest, the discussion thread can be found at: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=3737
Posted by daggett, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 2:28:56 AM
Kenny,
Muslims were kicked out to Australia with the First Fleet –and many others, openly brought about slaves from non-Anglo-Celtic backgrounds: Chinese were here, and a First-Fleet-transported having done his term Jew was first policemeister of what then was named Australia.

---

“Kenny:This place was better before the moslems - unfortunately.”
Numbat

Yeah, read above message. It was surely not a worse place for its natives before British occupation than till seventies of a last century.

---

“Kenny, your post incensed me. If ...Australia was not an Anglo-Celtic paradise to what do you attribute the great desire of millions of migrants to immigrate?”

“The Multicultural facists have been unveiled and they can no longer thrash us with their racism stick. Why bring in people of any race if they are not going to intergrate?”
Arjay

Many came simply hidding themselves.

“Multiculturalism” was introduced in Australia by then liberal government as an alternative to worldwide fight against Anglo-oppression in other British semi-colonies.

Why should the all world assimilate into something like Irishmen, Wells, Scots and Englishmen exemplify in their nations' cradle -British Isl.? What sort of “intergrate”? It is hard to quarrel if one says, integrity is out of an agenda of the IR minders because ultimately rejects official ground of discrimination, which is biological origins of job seekers.

---

“,,,attempt exploit the tragedy of the Cronulla riots to justify the odious 'welfare to work' ... .”
Daggett

Cheap slave labour is a practical outcome of any legislation abolishing minimum wages and minimizing work conditions while leaving business profits unlimited with no obligation to create more jobs as public consumption declines relaying on CREDITS only. And credits come in different forms – on plastic (bank creditline) or different type of welfare. Media provides that state’s perks to local “businesses” are equal to an Australia’s national debt: money simply changes ownership in amounts exceeding governmental spending on dole for poor. Dole payments end up in pockets of property-owners and providing the services as money constituting “business benefits” are too frequently in overseas banks and used to fund new Australia’s borrowings in cirle.
Posted by MichaelK., Tuesday, 3 January 2006 11:12:12 AM
Sajo. I agree with you that there are parents that would make great home educators and others that would not. Just like there are some teachers that make great teachers and others that do not.

I personally believe that the public education system has so much potential! It saddens me when people give up on it as it makes it harder to effect change. However, I can understand why parents take their children out of the school system. I have had to do the same many times.

However, I have some good news. Recently I received a letter from the DET asking me for information in relation to my families allegations so that they can assess the matter. I actually didn’t believe them, but it appears that maybe after 5 years they may have decided to do the right thing. My Solicitor will be dealing with the complaint on our behalf because last time it was at this stage, the Department pretended they investigated the allegations but instead they closed the matter internally.

Then, yesterday I received an email from an Organisation that I had previously contacted who indicated that it appeared that the Department is taking my allegations seriously and they are going to investigate the matter. I don’t want to hold my breath because they have ways of making it appear on paper like they are doing their job when really they are not. But I am hopeful.

We want this to end. We want the system to set a good precedent and example on how to deal with bullying allegations within their ranks. Not to mention that my children and family are tired of being victimized, ostrasized, neglected, vilified and bullied. We just want to move on with our life without fear and in order to do that - things need to change!

Here’s hoping the bullies in the system will be dealt with and removed from their positions of power.

When there is change there is always hope that things will be better. I feel positive that 2006 is going to be a year of change.
Posted by Jolanda, Wednesday, 4 January 2006 8:56:13 AM
Susie. I agree with you that a motivated parent would provide a better learning environment than what a child could get at school. Problem is that not all parents are motivated to home school and not all parents have confidence in their abilities and are well educated. It is also a fact that not all kids want to spend all day with their parents. It really does depend on their personalities and how they get on. There is no doubt however that the amount of time schools spends herding, leaves little time for learning and that the problem with bullying is doing a lot of psychological damage to our kids.

Of my 4 children, two of them (my most introverted two) would love to be home schooled for the duration of their school life but I just can’t do it. To me it isn’t easy, I cant deal with the questions, I struggle to explain things, I don’t understand things. I get stressed and my children notice and then they feel bad and then they avoid asking me questions.

We have taken our kids out of school and homeschooled them for short periods in order to protect them and we will never leave them in a school where they don’t feel safe but we keep searching for a school like the one sajo talks about because I know that my children would just thrive in the right environment and they love being students, they just need to find the right school. I also really need to get back to work. The plan was that when my youngest started kindergarten 3 years ago I would return to work but instead I have had at least one of my kids at home at different times being homeschooled or unschooled as is our case. It hasn’t been easy.

I personally think that both the home school community and the school community need to respect, support and help each other. That would be the ultimate
Posted by Jolanda, Wednesday, 4 January 2006 9:26:14 AM
JOLANDA there u go again dear :) wrong thread.. *pinch*.....

CRONULLA the SYMPTOM National Renewal the Medication.

The Cronulla riot, demonstrated many things. There is 'blame' to apportion, and fingers can be pointed.

1/ Well intentioned patriotism which was easily hijacked into violence by 'provocetuers'. I did not even see ONE of the actual rally organizers shown addressing the crowd on TV.

2/ Poor settlement policies, short sighted immigration policies with uninformed, or just plain 'idealistic' assumptions about human nature behind them.

3/ Naive and flawed and even discriminatory Policing policies which place higher priority on low crime statistics in politically sensitive areas than on the rule of law.

LESSONS.

1/ There is strong passion among Aussies for their culture.
2/ Emails, SMS etc are an effective medium for mobilizing large numbers of people and VOTERS.

PREDICTION

A new political force is on the horizon, held loosely together by some very basic issues. Meeting in cells and small groups. No leader, no party, unable to be infiltrated, no one to attack, just a common heart and mind.
The silent majority, will emerge from its 'silence' increasingly as it realizes there IS a way of effecting change.

P.S. did anyone notice the SNEAKY answer Mark Vale gave when he was asked if 'The cost of pharmeceuticals will increase if the Labor Amendment is removed from the AUS/USA FTA ? He said "The cost of medicines will not increase"... what did he REALLY say with these words ?

1/ The amendment which prevents RE-patenting already expensive drugs is not needed, 'we have protection under patent law' [COMMENT err..WHO has protection ? its not 'US' it is the DRUG COMPANIES.]

2/ The cost of drugs will not INcrease.

BUT... when patents run out... GENERIC drugs become CHEAPER !
So, with that ammendment in place, PBS drugs should REDUCE in price!
He is saying they WONT.

Crafty Mark... very crafty indeed. *SPIN*
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 4 January 2006 9:50:40 AM
Kenny, find me evidence of one Anglo gang problem. Find me evidence of any anglo gang rapes that are racially motivated; find me evidence that shows there are groups of thugs that hang around certain places, such as Darling Harbour/plazas/parks/trains/beaches, that consistently engage in abuse, intimidation and bashings; find me evidence of even one case where a group of anglos kicked, stabbed, or shot to death an ethnic person merely for racial reasons; find me evidence of police needing to retreat to their station house due to the severe intimidation and threats of murder and rape of their wives from a group of anglos.

Anyone can look in any month's news archives and find such crimes committed by either Middle-eastern thugs, South-east Asian thugs or Pacific Islander thugs. I have never, ever, found such a month where such crimes were committed by a group or groups of Anglo thugs. Notice I specifically speak of "group crime", as individual crime is often perpetrated by the desperate or insane, whereas generally the ethnic-gang group crime I am referring to is carried out by young racist thugs who are well dressed, clean, wearing expensive clothes and jewellry, and driving hotted up cars. The main differnece is that the ethnic racist thugs are not self abusing, but they are heavily involved in crime and anti-social behaviour in general. This can only indicate a severe selfishness and ethnocentrism, where no-one but them and their race even matter.

Also, why shouldn't I assume that the whole Lebanese muslim community in Australia is racist? No-one from that community ever acknowledges the nazi-gang-type problem they have, all they ever do is complain of mistreatment but put forth no hard evidence, just "feelings about the way the media speaks, or Tampa". Until people from within that community start to acknowledge that they seem to have a higher proportion of racists than most other ethnic communities, then why shouldn't I be angry, disgusted, and just plainly assume that they all are racist bigots?
Posted by Matthew S, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:11:24 AM
I have come to the conclusion the author of this feckless article, Jason Falinski drivels simplistic absurdities over the outcome of " Cronulla.Dec 11/05 " Our day of infamy.

His 'deja-vu' thesis, I am afraid wouldn't even rate a mention in a HSC essay competition - let alone appear in this Forum ? To a point, his other submissions aren't much better.

Normally, I prefer to ' play the ball, rather than the man '.

His Liberal Party arrogance got to me. Former President of the Young Liberal's Movement, bespeaks volumes.

I fear his unconvincing arguments about graffiti, fare evasion, Rodney King, crime in NY..etc is an indictment he watches too much Foxtel. Wouldn't it just be marvellous we can solve 50 ++ years of social, economic and psychological modalities, on such a narrow perspective ? Isn't it symptomatic though, of the underlying problems facing Society today to conjure up naive ' band-aid's 'as remedies to pandemics ? Unfortunately, his choice of comparison - the US is a worst example. The Bronx, Queen's, even Harlem have absolutely no relativity to Sydneyville. Like comparing the streets of Calcutta or Bali to Martin Square CBD. No contest.

Quote: ' you cant fix crime unless you fix the enviornment '. Yeah. Dismantle the bureaucracy. Give palsy-wallsy Amanda Vanstone the chop ? Bulldoze the ghetto's at Macquarie Fields, Lakemba, Redfern ? Public Housing estates in Melbourne ? WestEnd in Brissy ? Just what do we do with the flotsam and jetsam of humanity Jason - send them to the gas-chambers. Perhaps off-shore Nauru or maybe Baxter in SA ? More enigmas, less realistic proposals.

His references to Kevin Shreiber, Mayor of Sutherland " it could happen anywhere " One-dimensional nonsense. It cant and wont ever happen in Wynnum, Cleveland, Coolangatta, or all along our magnificent coastline to the Whitsunday's and beyond. Peter Beattie's personal guarantee.

Welcome to the Sunshine State - beautiful one Day. Perfect the next !

Other myopic references only add fuel to his youthful exuberance. With quasi-intellectual's of his calibre - no wonder the Young Liberal's are a problematic anachronism.

continued:
Posted by dalma, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:20:46 AM
Telling inflammatory ' porkies ' about the stabbing of two Lifeguards puts the final moral/ethical stamp of credibility where it rightfully belongs - the proverbial ' feckle-shute '. Not one statement - official or otherwise from NSWPD Commissioner Maroney indicated an attempt was made on the lives of voluntary Lifeguards. Why, pray, exacerbate an already 'volatile situation' by sexing-up a new's item ? Sorry Jason, your street-cred is shot for good. Your journalistic extravangaza is not only 'verboten', it's tacky and in bad taste.

But then, paradoxically, the Libs have always besmirched their Political rivals - in and out of Parliament. Telling porkies is an art form perfected like no other by JWH. Pity too - for followers of National History, the lies, deceit and fradulent claims - all too apparent in the tabloids are a mundane occurrence. Too often celebrated in Parliament with as much gusto as a floundering damp squib !

Despite JH's draconian clamp on FOI ( freedom of infomation ) to suppress truth. Deny dialog and repress debate, his latest ' patriot act ' legislation comes at a sobering price. People will come to realise we are mindlessly following George Bush's ' soft-shoe-shuffle-smoke-and-mirror ' balancing act. Anon, mark-my-words Orwellian Big-brother will shamelessly reveal ( like our US counterparts) we've also been victims of phone-taps for years -long before Set 11.

Why else do we subscribe to " PINE GAP " even though it's been off limits since 1974's Gough Whitlam's bloopers. The cohort secrecy that surrounds this establishment on our soil, has been the subject of numerous controversal expose's. Indeed, bugging decent ozzie citizens contravenes the Privacy Act ? AS if we didn't know ?

Cheers
Posted by dalma, Thursday, 5 January 2006 9:50:00 AM
Jason, it is a thought provoking and genuine posting that, by reasoning of the 'Not happy, Jason' replies, I believe, contains more than a modicum of truth.
The means by which the lifesavers were molested is immaterial to this discussion. To address such a mistake in order to denigrate the message does little to recommend the reply posting.
Cronulla, of course, is still a highly emotive topic however I think that Jason's observation does have an application here, and in many other sectors of our society. The welfare net is a crucial component of our society but that cannot blind us the welfare trap that many find themselves in. Many cultures across our society, from the Indigenous and those that came later, know the pitfalls and ramifications of a welfare net that eventually cages and strangles hope if the impetus to rise is removed. To wake up of a morning with no purpose or hope would be a degrading and, ultimately, dehumanising struggle. Many of those that find themselves there understand that all too well and would sympathise with Jason's view, even if it reflects harshly upon themselves.
Jason did say that he would put forward things we may not want to hear and he was correct in that assumption.
The message was one of compassion if you were to look just a bit further than the angst that portions of it may have caused.
Posted by Craig Blanch, Thursday, 5 January 2006 11:21:45 AM
It (a Cronulla riot) could really happen anywhere could egocentrizm, isolation and schooling at home rule.
Posted by MichaelK., Friday, 6 January 2006 11:44:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy