The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lost between war and peace, the Leb wild Westies > Comments

Lost between war and peace, the Leb wild Westies : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 20/12/2005

Joseph Wakim argues the more Lebanese youths are demonised, the more they are driven to the margins of Australian society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Is there some problem with being a racist?
Posted by teamworktom, Sunday, 25 December 2005 8:39:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, there is. It is inherently stupid and infantile to despise someone because of a matter beyond their control (such as ethnicity, race or colour). It also makes no sense to discriminate against such a person.

Racism creates artificial barriers that serve little purpose, and help to create a society based on division and not inclusion. When we start discriminating on the basis of race, we then find other excuses to divide and discriminate. And soon we won't have a society left.

Further, the Abrahamic (Judeo-Christian-Islamic) values that form the basis of our civilisation regard racism as an abomination.
Posted by Irfan, Sunday, 25 December 2005 8:50:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
irfan do not ever put words in my mouth and please do not trot the raceist theam out to stop debate.
Mate I WALKED ACROSS SYNDEYS BRIDGE TO PROVE I AM NO RACEIST, I find work for kids from minorirtys for nothing more than the grin on a face in work.
I however know its not up to me to change the raceist atitudes of far to many Lebanese Muslims.
No race invited to share our properity has ever bittened the hand that feeds it in such a way in my memory.
has reality any place in your thoughts?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 26 December 2005 6:56:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan,

>> Further, the Abrahamic (Judeo-Christian-Islamic) values that form the basis of our civilisation regard racism as an abomination.<<

I strongly object to you purposely or simplistically hyphenating the so called ‘islamic religion’ to God’s established covenant with humanity through Abraham in His one and only Scipture: The Bible.

A man in your position of literacy should know the vast chasm that exists between the two ideologies; and any attempt to claim similarity is a fraud and an impropriety of another’s most valued possession to further your agenda of propagation.

To use racism as a way of acceptance, integration and luring infidels to your way of life is abhorrent and repugnant.

I much prefer your using the sword than the word.
Posted by coach, Monday, 26 December 2005 7:18:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan

Please explain where the racism is exhibited in Belly's post.

From what I read he merely specified SOME of a religious and national group, SOME Lebanese Muslims. There is nothing at all racist about that, in this country... Yet if people as educated as you can cast aspersions on peoples stances because they are critical of something important to you how are we ever going to be able to discuss the myriad behavioural problems associated with that particular group?
Posted by keith, Monday, 26 December 2005 8:12:10 AM
'It is inherently stupid and infantile to despise someone because of a matter beyond their control (such as ethnicity, race or colour). It also makes no sense to discriminate against such a person.'

Would you like a few quotes from the Qu'ran in respect to this statement?
Posted by keith, Monday, 26 December 2005 8:15:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All