The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Home education can help prevent bullying > Comments

Home education can help prevent bullying : Comments

By Susan Wight, published 29/12/2005

Susan Wight argues home education is an answer to bullying

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 42
  9. 43
  10. 44
  11. All
Thank goodness home education exists to provide a refuge for families suffering from bullying. Home education has proved to be successful for the majority of children, and not just for those suffering from the systems ineptitude to deal successfully with the issue of bullying. It is frightening that the State Government is trying to curtail the growth of home education in this state. Perhaps they too subscribe to the view that ‘Bullying builds Character’. Or maybe they are trying to bully the home education movement out of existence.
Posted by Chris1, Thursday, 29 December 2005 11:43:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The real issue here is that our education system has broken down as far as bullying is concerned. As such it is part of a larger problem of a breakdown in law and order which people have responded to with security doors, dogs, alarms and mobile phones.

How many people feel like going for a walk after dark especially in the inner suburbs of Melbourne and Sydney?

The other point is that compulsory schooling today is ridiculous. I might accept that the government expect parents to see that their kids can read and write and do basic maths essential for earning a living. I fail to see any justification in this day and age for demanding that parents send their kids to a school every day from 5 to 15 when educational standards are so low and there are so many cheaper and better ways of achieving that schooling is supposed to achieve.
Posted by gbyrneg50, Thursday, 29 December 2005 11:55:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Susan

Thank you for your article.

I have been (pathetic grammar!) mental health nursing for some 25 years or so. Mmm.

Remove the kids? Mmmm.

I must have missed something during that time.

Simple for me. Bully kids learn bully behaviour from bully parents.

And the "bully parents" are so often the so-called middle and upper class politically correct people who have a hidden agenda.
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 29 December 2005 11:58:36 PM
Hi Kalweb, what exactly is your point? Your rhetoric appears to be somewhat rambling and confused. Who exactly is it that you are against, home educators, middle class people, or politically correct people? I salute the fact that you have been a mental health nurse for 25 years, but what exactly has this to do with the issue in hand?
Posted by Chris1, Friday, 30 December 2005 12:21:16 AM
I agree with kalweb - bully kids learn bully behaviour from their parents, ( where did their parents learn it ) children also learn this behaviour from their peers and their teachers, both they spend more time with in the school year than their parents. All behaviour, good or bad is learnt. Babies have only two needs food and care, everything after that we learn from those around us.It appears in this world of self indulgance that adults have forgotten that we are all human, whatever our schooling, upbrining,religion, or political agenda. We need to consider others as well as ourselves. It's time to work together regardless of whether our children are in state school,private school,home educated, slow learners or advanced learners. It's time we take the control of our children back from the government.Stand up and say " enough - your track record is rotten, you have failed. I f the government was a private business running our schools they would have been sacked by now. Something has to be done to rectify the situation. Bullying policys are obviously not working, children are still being bullied. It's still a major problem in every school in australia. Rather than bringing in new legislation the government needs to take a huge step back and rectify the mess they have gotten our children into. All parents need to write to their local member and say - 'the new proposed laws regarding education are not going to fix literacy or bullying, we object to them abd want and demand a study that includes all educators,parents,researchers and proffesors, that will look logically at all evidence and consider changes to bring back sensibility into our schools and the give the power back to the parents to make choices for their children.' Our children deserve our support.
Posted by lilian, Friday, 30 December 2005 6:55:58 AM
I fully support your remarks. I have been exposed to parents who have been put through these issues. Good luck in your work towards peace for the families.
Posted by ANGELASCHOOL, Friday, 30 December 2005 8:43:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 42
  9. 43
  10. 44
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy