The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cronulla Beach riots: making waves for the Asia Pacific region > Comments

Cronulla Beach riots: making waves for the Asia Pacific region : Comments

By Peter Kell, published 19/12/2005

Peter Kell argues ambivalence by Howard Government has seen the trashing of the concept of multiculturalism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Oliver,

I've only been posting here for less than a week, and don't recall seeing any posts about 'The Block', but since you mention it.. Of course the problems facing communities of Aboriginal descent are very different from migrant groups.. for starters, they didn't migrate here, their culture was once deeply connected to the land, sky, plants and animals, etc. ie. the continent and everything living on it..

I think it's very beneficial to examine social dynamics, but I also think it's possible to go overboard with analysis of that kind (that you are delving into). Or maybe I should say, you need to take the next step and use the information gained from an analysis to formulate possible practical solutions.

Most of my posts have been focusing on the incredible vacuum of law enforcement that has become apparent in the face of gang and organised crime activity in Sydney. The crime in Redfern, particularly within the Aboriginal community tends to be localised, and although serious, doesn't come anywhere remotely close to the gang violence evolving in the south west.

Your analysis is sound and interesting. But remember most people don't think in those terms..
Posted by Ev, Wednesday, 21 December 2005 7:32:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ev ans oliver,

its interesting to compare the block and lakemaba, it often falls into a mindset of who deserves more "rights"and why.

when you compare redfern lakemba and anglosaxons, you will find we all do have equal oppertunity.

if some people wont't/can't make something of life in Austrlia, whos resposibilitie si really.
Posted by meredith, Wednesday, 21 December 2005 10:12:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While Arab and Aboriginal communities are both basically tribal, Arabian historial enjoinment with The West and the classical civilizations goes back over two thousand years. Herein, Arabian theocracies predate The West (476 AD)and Arabian societies were contemporaries with the Hebrews. In this frame, there has been plenty of technology and religionist transfer. Contrarily, Aboriginal societies have been something of Galapogos entities.

Vendettas are often entrenched in non-individualist societies. This circumstance would appear to be the case with Arabs. Control, power and missionary behaviour are Western individualist forms. Not a good mix. Unlike, the Aborigines the Arabs would seem to have the social structures, in part, at least, to counterbalance The West.

Meredith,

Loosely speakly, the Lebanese in Lakemba appear to better understand their nuclear community and broader Australia than the Redfern aborigines. In this event, perhaps, the Lebonese community is better fitted for Oz multiculturalism than the aboriginal communities. Ironic, given the latter founded Australia 60,000 years ago.

Maybe, regarding the aborigines, their society has just been overwhelmed and some individuals are at loss to take avantage of opportunities. The Arabs hold a stronger position, occasionally defining the route and the nature of opportunity, differing from that of the Anglo-Westerm members of Oz society.

Otherwise put, the Arabs have been maligned, the aborigines have been maligned AND defeated.

* Peter Kell, Hope you not just sitting on the sidelines. Pleae join
us.

* Any Lebonese folk out there?

Cheers,

O.
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 21 December 2005 5:47:59 PM
Peter Kell`s heart is in the right place and I agree with the fundamental premise of his article - that it`s time our Government became unambivalent about pro-multicultural, anti-racist stances.

However, I would like to offer another perspective on our Asian neighbours. In our rush to self-criticize (quite rightly), let`s not forget that Australia doesn`t have a monopoly on discrimination and prejudice. Our Asian neighbours need to get their own houses in order as well.

Japan - a few examples from somebody who lives here.

Huge signs posted in major railways stations proclaiming `Foreigners Follow The Rules`. This in a society where the most dangerous and common criminal activity exists in the shape of the Japanese gangs collectively known as the Yakuza who control most illegal activity,not a few politicians, and also manage to extort legal businesss.

Drinking establishments and hot springs/saunas with signs saying `No Foreigners`. The excuse for a major hot spring in Hokkaido, Japan`s northernmost island, is that Russian sailors didn`t follow their rules. Therefore it`s acceptable to bar all foreigners including the offspring of Japanese/foreigner couples - the children who take after their foreigner parent in looks, that is.

Common references to `Criminal Gaijin` littered liberally throughout the print media and tv programmes focusing on `Gaijin` (foreigner but literally means `Outside person`) crimes - the highest no. of crimes committed by foreigners are visa overstays.

The Government`s refusal to enact anti-racism legislation. And the new Foreigner Computer chip card coming by 2007 to track foreigners, even those of us who have lived here some time.

Oh and currently I have to carry an `Alien` (foreigner) Card AT ALL TIMES. The police can ask me for it anytime and if I don`t have it on me (eg even if I just slipped out to get some milk at the local shop)they will detain me until somebody I know can bring it to the police station. Or they will go and search my house for it.

Oh the joys of institutionalised racism!
Posted by worldoflight, Wednesday, 21 December 2005 6:10:46 PM
Worldoflight,

It has been said that "if the Chinese family centredness represents graings of sand; Japanese nationalism represents a single piece of granite". Herein, traditional the Japan has been highly inward looking and mistrusting of outsiders cum foreigners.

As you will have observed, non-tariff trade barriers operate internally to retard the fair operation of foreign businesses in Japan. More over the Japanese consumer will find it hard to buy a foreign product standing alongside a Japanese product. BMW found it could not profit from its motor cycle lines until it opened its "own" outlets, wherein its offerings were isolated.

In Hong Kong and Singapore discrimination legislation conveniently sidesteps the "race" caetgory. In Singapore, in particular, Filopino maids are exploited. Many Chinese Singaporians look down on Malays too.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 22 December 2005 11:02:32 AM
I think time has seen the concept of multiculturalism being trashed. Not Howard. Kind of silly to keep blaming a PM we keep voting for. May was well blame us? Well I forgot everyoe does!

In south/ south west Sydney we have had such a high percentage of the recent non anglo immigrant population the rest of Australia does not have any hope to understand. Even the northern suburbs of Sydney are as far away as Darwin on this.

Even inner city suburbs that relish multiculturalism only do so because of the fabby restaurants this policy affords. No clue I tell you!

There is such a thing as cultural genocide. look it up. We did it before yet we don't seem to care if it happens again.

Everyone has rights to birthright, cultural heritage and a state to call home. Don't deny this to ANYONE and we do not have a problem. Start saying all the migrant workers of the southwest have no right to be Aussie, only Aboriginal do then we have a problem. Not hard to see why.

Plenty of room for everyone to be Aussie but no room for those who say that no-one has a right to be Aussie, except Aboriginals. Migrants have worked hard for Australia, they deserve to be called Aussies. We all do. Without disrespect to our wonderful Aussies but also with respect to our great migrant community. Room for us all, if anyone is listening.
Posted by Verdant, Tuesday, 27 December 2005 10:46:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy