The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Cronulla Beach riots: making waves for the Asia Pacific region > Comments

Cronulla Beach riots: making waves for the Asia Pacific region : Comments

By Peter Kell, published 19/12/2005

Peter Kell argues ambivalence by Howard Government has seen the trashing of the concept of multiculturalism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
LEBANESE KIN FAMILIALISM VERSUS INSECURE MARGINALISED ANGLOS

--CONCLUSION--

Thus, Lebanese gangs advantage familial-centric whole-value systems against Anglo “outsiders”. This behaviour is customary in inclusive societies. Contrarily, the Anglo gangs represent a marginal, minority group leveraging John Howard’s scare the people tactics. Unlike, the Lebanese group, this Anglo tribe is uncustomary.

In sum, we have two inclusive tribes whom feel hostilities towards each other. Both tribes live in Anglo Western society, which is “typically” non-tribal at a societal level. Neither gang, fits-in. The difference is that Kin tribalism and defending Islamic values, is a macro value-set; while, ethnic Anglos dropping out of the conventional Anglo society presents a micro value-set.
Posted by Oliver, Monday, 19 December 2005 2:14:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh is quick out of the blocks - he sees most forms of critical analysis as being yet another leftist plot.

I find it hard to accept Leighs over bearing sense of persecution at the hands of the left - when the conservatives have really dominated the political scene at a federal level all of this and most of the last century -

The same might be true of state governments when you add up the dominance of Playford in SA and Joh in Queensland - so its hard to work out whether the left is incredibly well organised or the right simply inept - but perhaps its neither . Now there's a novel idea - a social system that is rather malleable and responsive to the circumstance of the day.

In Leighs world view the left have the judiciary, the universities the schools and it would seem the police force by the short and curlies - they hold sway over every policy decision that has been made over recent history and are esentially to blame for everything from high oil prices to Nathan Buckleys hamstring and Princess Diana'a car accident.

I still fail to get the self loathing bit I would call myself of the left - god knows every one else does - but I certainly dont loathe me - in fact I love me - as do many others. I can only guess the self hatred - even aussie hatred tag comes from being critical of the homeland. If we were more critical of those in authority maybe we'd get better government from both sides

Leigh and a few others - quite a few - seem to hold the view a love of 'straya is unconditional - well I 'm sorry - I am fond of this place because, in part, I am under no obligation to love it at all; I can bag the tripe out of it if I so choose and indeed I do from time to time
Posted by sneekeepete, Monday, 19 December 2005 2:41:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oliver, please do some research on recent trends in crime and law enforcement in Sydney, rather than focusing purely on social theory.

On that topic, could someone who frequently uses the linear terms 'Left' and 'Right' to discuss the three-dimensional world of human politics, please explain why it is necessary to do so.

Back to the news, in today's SMH:
'Earlier in the morning, a Dee Why man was arrested after police discovered he was wearing steel spikes on leather wrist bands.'
(original source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/18/1134840742483.html?page=2)

Also in today's SMH:
'About half an hour after (the five arrested men) had been taken away, the Herald observed police talking to at least four young men of Middle Eastern appearance in West Botany Street.

The police officers had confiscated two baseball bats but did not arrest any of the men.'
(original source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/18/1134840742480.html)

Steel spikes on leather wrist bands - common fashion accessory.

Two baseball bats - not common fashion accessories.

Let the Attorney General's Department know about the outrageous injustices that are taking place:

http://www.ag.gov.au/agd/www/agdhome.nsf/headingpagesdisplay/department?opendocument

'The Attorney-General's Department serves the people of Australia by providing essential expert support to the Government in the maintenance and improvement of Australia's system of law and justice.'
(Attorney-General's Department self-description)
Posted by Ev, Monday, 19 December 2005 3:11:05 PM
For once Kim Beazley has put something both comprehensible and sensible together at the same time in his interview on 2GB on the 16th:

BEAZLEY: Let me start by saying one thing about Australia. We are not a racist nation. We are not. By now objective test are we a racist country. We are a tolerant country - a good country. Now, are there racist elements in the country? Yes. There are in most countries, they are here and certainly racism is involved. And the trouble that we saw at Cronulla, Brighton-Le-Sands, at Maroubra - there's racism involved there. There's an antidote to that and the antidote is personal responsibility and accepting that personal responsibility to live within a framework of a tolerant community. We must never take personal responsibility away from people - we must always expect it.

This is hardly a self-loathing statement and is far more productive than the practised denial of certain sections of Australian society.

Once we can admit that there are racist elements in Australia (as there are in every country) it will become easier to deal with issues of race and culture that inevitably arise when different races and cultures live in close proximity.

Honesty rather than defensive ideology goes a long way to diffusing and solving complex issues like those that lead to the problems around Sydney.

Honest acceptance of a racist element in Australia could open the door to for more open debate about modern Australia.

People should be able to question the policies of multi-culturalism without being accussed of racism, just as police should be able to arrest law breakers of any ethnicity without being accused of racism.

Equally, those of us who do accept that some Australians (of all ethnicities) do believe that their race is superior to or somehow better than others should not be accussed of self-loathing and selling out the Anglo heritage/culture Australia was built on.
Posted by Global Nomad, Monday, 19 December 2005 3:11:27 PM
Peter Kell says:
That concept has disappeared temporarily in the wave of violence on Cronulla Beach and will require a turning of the tide against the ambivalence and racism. Australians will need the help of its Asian neighbours to remind the Australian Government of its responsibility to all its citizens of all racial and religious backgrounds for an unambiguously safe, secure and tolerant nation.

Is Peter Kell serious? Are we to invite Indonesia to 'remind' us of our responsibility to our citizens. The East Timorese and Acehnese are sure to have something to say about that. Perhaps we could hear from Aung San Suu Kyi about the 'humane' treatment she has received from the Burmese leadership. Haven't we just finished hurling abuse at Singapore accusing them of being barbaric. And how unfortunate that Pol Pot died before he could conduct a series of workshops in Australia showing how to deal with people.
Posted by Sage, Monday, 19 December 2005 4:14:57 PM
Posters who look at photos in newspapers showing the ten on one attacks on people of middle eastern appearance and those thugs on the train can see that they were attacking on racial grounds. How could they possibly know what the beliefs of those people were? They were racist attacks and the main troublemakers were racists. The text messages and bashings have nothing to do with mainstream cultural mores.

The cultural element is held in the radical behaviours of the two rival groups of troublemakers and their agitators. That is culture apparently common to both Muslims and their antagonists.

The anti-multicultural mob assert that the behaviour of a few Muslims is representative of all Muslim and their culture, which is an argument that has never been sustained with any credibility. We see quotes from Koran but no minor premises to clarify the connection. We see A therefore C rather than A then b thus C. Not to mention relevant context. The Bible can also be used in this way to discredit Christians. I'll discuss reader theory some other time.
Posted by rancitas, Monday, 19 December 2005 4:50:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy