The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Federal Government folly over 'Kopassus' > Comments

Federal Government folly over 'Kopassus' : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 3/1/2006

Gary Brown argues the Federal Government is making a potentially disastrous mistake by supporting co-operation with 'Kopassus'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I wonder if a big factor in this resumption is a continued belief that among Kopassus officers are some of the rising 'stars' in the TNI and that this type of 'training' is really a way to get to know these people. The official line of anti-hijacking training does not make much sense to me - it's 20+ years since the last hijacking in Indonesia and terrorists in Indonesia are much more likely to explode bombs.

I recall that after INTERFET various ADF officers said how useful it had been to be able to deal with Indonesian officers who had been to Australia - even though there appears to a good deal of distrust of parts of TNI within the ADF there might well be a continuing wish to get to know them.

Finally without wanting to minimize the nastiness of Kopassus they are far from the only elements of the Indonesian police or army that have used torture and killings of civilians. Certainly in Papua the police mobile Brigade has been very nasty.

Tony
Posted by Tony O'Connor, Monday, 9 January 2006 6:15:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony

I agree with your first 2 paras. I think to "get to know" neatly somes up the motivation for aiding (and abetting) KOPASSUS in its training.

Australia always needs to realise that the Indonesia Army has a peculiarly dismissive attitude to human life when it comes to the crunch.

When Keating and (more recently) others in Australia say they wish to "engage with Asia" - they must realise that they are not (condescendingly) dealing with exotic dark people.

The 1965 massacres of half a million Chinese in Indonesia and events in East Timor indicate that "murder with a smile" by Asians is as vicious as "murder with a frown" practiced by whites.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 12:18:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I also agree with you Gary.

Kopassus is just an evil organization with links to Laskar Jihad and also Al-Qaeda. These are the organizations our SAS troops could be fighting in the near future. My bet is the SAS troops themselves aren't too happy about the Kopassus training.

Don't forget what happened at Balibo in 1975 when the Australian Defence Signals monitored Indonesian radio traffic in East Timor. The truth about the fate of the five journalists was kept from the next of kin and the Australian public for thirty years by the Dept of Foreign Affairs. See this web site http://www.wpngnc.org
Posted by desone, Friday, 13 January 2006 10:37:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy