The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sydney’s burning: but why did it happen? > Comments

Sydney’s burning: but why did it happen? : Comments

By Peter West, published 14/12/2005

Peter West examines the causes of the Sydney riots.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
PLANTA

I notice your other post said
"Assuming Police can handle it"
and in this one you said
"Police CAN handle it" :)
But, as you also said, and we both know, they can only 'handle' it in the short term, and soon the extra police will return to other duties, and the lurking 'evildoers' will be on the rampage again to show us skips a thing or two about who really runs the city.
It is really quite clear that there has been a declaration of war by the 'thug' element of the Lebanese community.

Regarding some of what you mentioned about certain 'requirements' of such a home guard, yes, agreed..but there somethings better left unsaid and more to the creative imagination of those involved eh :)

The strategy I'm advocating is actually the same one used by Gengis Khan, and trained people can be called on at any time, and don't always have to be used 'just' in their immediate area.

Aaron was less circumspect in his suggestions of plausable scenarios, and I assure you there are plenty of ideas floating around which exceed and amplify his thoughts.

PERICLES
thanx for that link, it actually underlined my point. That was a spontaneous issue which was not seeking to assert the authority of a particular ethnic group over the authority of police, it was just simple 'we hate cops and here are some vulnerable ones, lets beat the crap out of them'
The actions of the Lebanese were more calculated, and had a much more sinister purpose. So, I believe I have made my point.
On the 'Colonal Blimp' remark ... well you call them as u see them. 2night I'm meeting with the former director of Defense Signals Directorate, I'm sure we will have an interesting convo. He is one of my former course mates in the RAAF. There are many solid Military connections in our community. Hardly 'Colonal Blimp'.. ur too British :) "blerrrdy convict commoners.. they know nothing"

But yes, proclamation of the gospel is certainly my preferred domain and far more peaceful.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 15 December 2005 7:25:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah yes! The "melting pot" on full boil - it creates a nasty odour doesn't it?

Those politicians have done it to us again. They changed education to eliminate knowledge and elevate mediocrity creating cheap labour. Destroyed families to get women into the work force creating new compulsive consumers and more cheap labour. Imported "multiculturalism" to replace the missing babies from the working women, simultaneously getting new aspirational consumers and even more cheap labour. Stirred everyone together in a big urban bowl. Made laws prohibiting freedom of speech so nobody could complain. "Rationalised" services to cut costs and forced people to work harder to provide for themselves and for less. Kept housing development down to push house prices higher to make people work even harder resulting in lower wages. Kept pushing everybody together in cramped cities with increasing social pressures and increasing psychological temperatures, bringing that ol' melting pot up to the boil.

Now on the southern beaches, it's boiled.

Now politicians can make grand noble speeches about themselves, about tolerance, and law and order, and terrorism, and "get tough" on crime, whipping up more social unrest so they can demonstrate how much more we need them and why they need to keep changing laws and taking away our freedoms, and why we should pay more tax and why we should all work much harder and for less.

Yep, that ol' melting pot - sure stinks when the lid blows off. But those politicians, they love it.
Posted by Maximus, Thursday, 15 December 2005 7:46:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Still some here are very apologtic for fear of being prejudice
But if you can't diagnose the disease how you will treat it? or you do just as we say in medicine you treat symptoms and leave the disease to grow
look around you there are many other middle eastern groups who aren't muslims do you have problem with their attitude to western Culture or any one arrested terrorist actions?
look around there are many other cultural difference in other groups, Indian, Spanish, etc ? any similar problems?
Today problems arise from a single source and everybody has to be clear that it is from Indonesia, to France, to Australia, to England to Spain to Philipins, to Bangledesh, to Iraq and all midlle east countries ...........................
is a Specific Islamic Ideolgy of hate,refusal of others which lead sometimes to overt terrorism and othertimes to national unrest in the countries they live in
Again Islamic Ideology not all Muslims follow that is why there are a lot of peacful Muslims ,
But if you don't fight this outfront in newspaper, TV and stop the resources in Mosques , schools , overseas and screen the immigrants well there will be no end.
Posted by samo, Thursday, 15 December 2005 9:13:10 AM
Crabby,

No. I’m not “dead wrong”. You are, and I totally disagree with your apologist nonsense. I also regard with great suspicion anyone who uses the word ‘simplistic’ in an attempt to deny the arguments of others.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 15 December 2005 9:46:40 AM
>>2night I'm meeting with the former director of Defense Signals Directorate, I'm sure we will have an interesting convo.<<

Please don't misunderstand me, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are able to find many folk who think the same way that you do - vigilantism, civil defence, whatever - I've heard plenty of them dribble away on talk-back radio. But that still doesn't make it a realistic response.

In fact it brings us ever closer to the Mosley model:

"There are only two ways to meet such a situation: a national consensus to secure action - which we first attempted - or a grass-roots movement of the people, which I set out to create when that attempt failed." Sir Oswald Mosley, 'My Life' 1968

Get hold of a copy of Sir Oswald's autobiography straight away and take it along to your meeting. You'll find it contains many useful tips on how to mobilize a national force against people you dislike.

This country, as far as I can tell after only twenty-odd years here, prides itself on mateship, the fair go and all that self-congratulatory tosh, but also upon the rule of law and on the distant approximation to democracy that we call the government. The last thing we need right now is a bunch of superannuated Dad's Army types pushing their weight around.

Although, come to think of it, it might inject a much needed touch of farce into the whole mess.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:04:26 AM
If the families of the young Lebanese want to go on living in some kind of peace, it would probably be better to send their troubled young people back to their country of origin until they are mature enough to decide which culture they feel more in tune with.
There is no reason why Australians should be forced to tolerate the bad behaviour of these people.
If you catch a cancer in time, you can eradicate it. But leave it alone and it does the worst to a body or a country.
Posted by mickijo, Thursday, 15 December 2005 3:39:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy