The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Minorities behaving badly > Comments

Minorities behaving badly : Comments

By Peter van Vliet, published 13/12/2005

Peter van Vliet argues Australia is a society of immigrants and we need to co-operate to make it work.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Striker,
You represent the hope and future of this nation.

Perhaps you can encourage more young people to participate in discussion and debate of this kind. You give me a glimmer of hope that all is not lost to the fear mongers and fanatical.

Bless you, shalom and Sukran
Posted by Reason, Thursday, 15 December 2005 3:19:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank- You too all who understand my point and get me. Our nation is growing by the day as immigration brings more people in. You cannot deny there is no problem. By the way im not denying that theres a minority of lebanese people who are Dkheads but they must caught and dealt with accordingly. And Definateley Not by having many angry people and having a fun day of bashing people. To solve this situation we must stop the tension between both minorities etc. Please spread the word and maybe more people will understand Me and the rest of the other people like me. Now doubt im a young kid, who obviously no one will take notice of but i ask all who can to PLEASE solve this situation and talk sense between the two groups. crime is a normal part of our lives and is a never ending cycle, so when those young lebanese men bashed those lifeguards they had no right do but did it and must face consequences not by practically having a civil war or bashing each other!!
Posted by striker, Thursday, 15 December 2005 6:48:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My good friend Peter, I've enjoyed reading your article. Being an American, I can attest to the point of immigration being a success story. Of course, I would argue that if it works it's actually despite the multicultural aspect rather than because of it. I believe the workable element is when people concentrate on how they are the same rather than different. For things to work in the USA we've all had to accept our common "Americanism". I would assume the same would hold true in Australia.
Posted by Wayne68, Friday, 16 December 2005 1:51:36 AM
GREATER PUBLIC AWARENESS + ZERO TOLERANCE FOR SEX OFFENDERS

http://www.mako.org.au/list.html

Please follow the link, go to the bottom of the page and click on a few faces. The majority of sex offenders in Australia have been of Anglo-Saxon descent. Some of these people have murdered and raped children and have served their sentences. They are now at large in our fair city and all we can do is point the finger at the Lebanese community.
Posted by forgive_and_remember, Saturday, 17 December 2005 10:31:06 PM
f_a_r

that may be because Anglos make up around 90 % of population
Posted by meredith, Sunday, 18 December 2005 12:08:07 AM
It is obviously a long time since Peter read Puberty Blues, if he thinks it is a celebration of an "egalitarian" surf culture. Puberty Blues is all about the lengths that teenage girls went to, to be accepted in a narrow sexist sub-culture, culminating in the realization that it wasn't worth it. The Australian beach has always been about display, elitism and class. Where you live, what car you drive and who you hang out with are all markers of your status. Mateship is not the same thing as egalitarianism at all. You look after your mates, against any threat from the "other". I love going to the beach, if it weren't for the threat of violence I'd probably be at Maroubra today, practicing my less-than-average body surfing skills (instead of sitting in front of my computer). But that doesn't mean I kid myself that I'm anything other than an interloper there. It must have been great for all those kids from the suburbs to finally feel they belonged at Cronulla. Being Anglo was enough to make you a temporary local. Don't bet on that lasting though....
Posted by Johnj, Sunday, 18 December 2005 3:13:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy