The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Questioning the death penalty > Comments

Questioning the death penalty : Comments

By Brett Bowden, published 6/12/2005

Brett Bowden suspects if the question of the death penalty was put to the Australian people, it could well be reintroduced.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Ah redneck, at the very least, we can say that you are consistent, the reason that 3 jurno's are against the death penality is because most people are, you have found yourself in a tiny minority again, most of us don't like killing people, or the State doing it for us. Some of us actually believe that is crimes where it is possible, that prisioners be rehabilitated, so that when their punishment has ended they can become productive members of society, and make a contribution, the bible tells us "thou shall not kill" and as a general rule, whether you are a Christian or not, the 10 commandments are a worthy set of rules to try to live by. Judges have "all" the facts in front of them when making a descion, we read the vertict in the newspaper, or see it on TV we are not made aware of the circumstances, only the vertict. Sometimes I also resent what seems like lenient sentences, however not being privy to the content of the trial, I accept the vertict, and take it up with my local member of parliament. Something I suggest all posters do, if they are concerned enough to do so.
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 8:51:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shonga,
Not that redneck needs help, but thou shell not kill... What crap is that. Tell it to the crims that do, if for fun, thrills or out of anger. They still kill. What ever happened to an eye for an eye..
I dont think most folks are for the d/p just for the revenge side, but an eye for an eye. maybe let the victums and the reletives of victums decide the punishment. i know myself if some P..ck took the life or innocence of a loved one of mine I would want the punishment to fit the crime at the least.
Posted by barry, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 10:40:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am totally opposed to the death penalty as a matter of principle - killing under the cloak of the judicial system is still killing.

I am also opposed for the pragmatic reason that the penalty is final and allows no scope to rectify mistakes. A number of posters have referred to sentences that appear too lenient. But what about the innocent people wrongfully convicted? Has anybody asked Lindy Chamberlain what she thinks about the death penalty? The Morling inquiry would not have helped Lindy much if she had been executed after being found guilty.
Here in the West we have had two people convicted of murder in the 60s and spent many years in prison who have recently had their convictions quashed after further inquiry. The High Court has recently expressed serious doubts about the case against another convicted murderer in WA and that is also now under review.
There have also been many cases in the UK and USA convicted on the basis of dodgy evidence.
They can be released from prison and compensated if appropriate when subsequently acquitted but they can't be brought back to life if executed in the mean time.
Posted by rossco, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 11:20:02 PM
To Shonga. I deny that most people are opposed to the death penalty. Every poll that I have ever seen indicated the exact opposite. The reason why politicians will not give us a referenda on this issue is because they know that the pro death penalty agenda will win.

The Christian God did not say "Thou shalt not kill", He said "Thou shalt not murder." Theologians have always interpreted this as meaning that killing for personal reasons is forbiden but killing on behalf of your community (eg warfare or executing criminals) is OK by God.

If killing people is naughty then we should immediately disband our army. All armies not only say to their members "Thou shalt kill", but also "Great woe shall betide thee if thou dost not."
Posted by redneck, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 3:19:11 AM
Polls on this subject are useless because they are invaribly taken in the midst of some high profile case. Take a poll the day after the headlines red "madman rapes and murders 20 schoolgirls" and you will no doubt get widespread support. Take another poll after the headlines read "executed citizen found not guilty" and likewise you will find less support. By the way Redneck, we don't have a referendum on the subject because one is not required. These are used when changes to the constitution are required. Reintroduction of capital punishment does not require constitutional change.
Posted by crocodile, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 6:28:35 AM
What do you say to the mother, wife, husband or kids of a person murdered by the state for a crime they did not commit. 1 in 8 of the people murdered by the US courts have been founded to be no guilty. When DNA and other modern techs were used. When you kill someone you can't undo it? As for Judges not given correct jail terms I think people need to have a closers look at their guidelines. The jail terms seem to much once you have a loved one facing one. The death penalty is an act of revenge not punishment.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 8:20:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy