The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Graduate model not the panacea > Comments

Graduate model not the panacea : Comments

By Michael Gallagher, published 6/12/2005

Michael Gallagher argues Australia is not well positioned in the worldwide competition for intellectual talent.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I agree that "This centrally managed (though arbitrary) approach is unlikely to work in the policy mess of partial price and volume controls." My concern is that, while there may be merit in having the model favoured by Glyn Davis available as an option, Minister Nelson appears inclined to mandate it, making it harder and more costly to acquire professional qualifications and reducing the working life of professionals throught he extra year(s) of study.

I have seen no indication of any cost-benefit assessment, either for the community or for individuals, which would justify Nelson taking such a strong stance. This appears to be a centrally-planned rather than liberal/free market stance. What we need is more choice, more innovation rather than more central direction.
Posted by Faustino, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 12:20:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy