The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anecdotal evidence points to relief for MS sufferers > Comments

Anecdotal evidence points to relief for MS sufferers : Comments

By Cris Kerr, published 3/1/2006

Cris Kerr argues low-dose Naltrexone is a viable treatment option for multiple sclerosis sufferers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Oh boy...my comments are just longer then what is allowed. Please bear with me on part II again...lol.
Getting back to Alchemist, I think that I understand what he is saying about how most people are not really willing to do most of the things that one must do to completely reverse their medical situation. It is mind boggling what one has to consider and do. We all know that there are many out there that would just rather take a pill then to say, adjust their diets. That is of course their choice to do this but maybe not a wise choice. Of course there are many situations were the disease is way too far gone to be able to reverse it, regardless of what you try. I don't know enough about your particular disorder but have you looked into LDN possibly helping with it? I just went to www.ldninfo.org and noticed that Lymphocytic Leukemia is listed as something that could be helped potentially. I would say that regardless of what is listed, there is a possiblity of it helping. The disorders that are listed are limited to what may have been presented for treatment at one time or another.
I am sure that your friends that have succumbed to their disorder were very brave in life and with their particular situation, never really knowing what the next day will bring. I applaud you for doing all that you can to research and help yourself. It is all anyone can expect to do. I wish you well. Joyce.
Posted by JoyceF, Sunday, 8 January 2006 8:35:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alchemist.
You did give me a time-line, “They gave me just 18 months at the most, 33 years ago”. Once again you misunderstand my point, or you choose not to. I used the term palliative in its correct form” Relieving or soothing the symptoms of a disease or disorder without affecting a cure”. Not in the usage you use of palliative care or hospice care.

Once again I have to state that Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia is INCURABLE. No treatment has even been proved to increase life expectancy let alone affect a cure. So once again I say that treatment for me is palliative, it is a quality of life issue. I take synthetic drugs so my life will be as normal as possible.

Your dislike for conventional medicine is your own affair, keep it to yourself. If you choose to blame the victim for their illness you are a very sad old man.

I choose to live life to the fullest everyday, not to look for reasons for my illness, not to blame myself for doing something wrong, and certainly not groveling in self pity.

When diagnosed I had a white blood cell count of 430,000 (normal <11,000) my spleen was 8cm below my left rib cage. I had Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. 76% of my white cells were malignant lymphocytes and bone marrow involvement was 84%. Synthetic drugs mean I can still function. No amount of green tea, positive thinking, stimulating my immune system (the last thing that would help me), yoga, meditation, controlling my metabolic rate or other mumbo jumbo could achieve what Rituxan, Chlorambucil, Fludarabine, Erythropoietin and Intravenous Immunoglobulins have. Got rid of the pesky spleen that was causing the anemia too.

It amazes me that you cannot understand how hurtful your comments are no matter how good your intentions may be.

But of course you are intellectually superior to me; you have all the simplistic answers, and the rhetoric I hear everyday from well meaning morons. Lets all leave the city ,live in mud huts, grow our own leeches for medical treatment and die of cholera.
Posted by Steve Madden, Sunday, 8 January 2006 11:36:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh gawd, not another one. I've had MS for years and periodically someone comes up with a new treatment being denied us all by the backward health system. Remember the 4 Corners tosh about marijuana being an invaluable MS treatment a few years back, replete with images of a prim vicar's wife surreptitiously doing deals with the village supplier? A sure way to make an MS person feel even sicker - the TV that is. Or the Melbourne physician who appears on commercial TV every year or so when they're short of a story to trundle out his marvellous drug treatment - also denied us all by a rule-bound bureaucracy.
MS is unpredictable and often extremely variable in its long and short term effects and from person to person. It is very easy indeed to attribute any temporary medium or short term improvements to whatever experiment you might have indulged in lately - drug-taking, changes in diet, exercise, positive thinking, hyperbaric thingamibob, astral energy - whatever took your fancy at the time. I have a notebook stuffed with these "treatments" - purely for amusement you understand, and it grows year by year.
A friend suffered a severe attack of MS 40+ years ago and after a remission had no more symptoms. She attributes her cure (she jokes) to the fact that she took up bike riding just before the miracle. So I tried the bike-riding - you don't use your legs to balance on a bike - a good discovery, but the cure was typically evasive....
Some of these ideas might well help some people in some way some time in the future, but public funds can be wasted chasing treatments or a cure. I hope that funds are directed only after rigorous assessments of likely outcomes.
Vested interests appear to abound. e.g. the dope treatment.
As do numerous glowing testimonials for you-name-it.
And the internet has provided a way for these fads to proliferate even more than they did via tabloid TV.
Garlic with fish oil anyone?
Posted by Henery, Sunday, 8 January 2006 2:09:18 PM
Sorry Steve, time line for my treatment. Your certainly paranoid about anything other than medically accepted procedures. Returning to good health is not simplistic and requires investigation and discipline. You can keep your quack cures, green tea or other miraculous junk.

I live with the best technology there is, in sth Tas where the air and water are very clean, we use technology in the least harmful way.

My business supports me helping people, we have a place for people to stay to see if we can help. It gives them a break from debilitating city lifestyles. There are those to far advanced for any help, that's very disturbing for us all. I have shed many tears over the years at all the good people that haven't made it. Those that have, are the reason why I continue to help. Sorry if that offends you.

As to being hurtful, could that be because you can't stand the fact that others have overcome adversity successfully, whilst you keep your head in the sand. I understand your form of palliative, it still leads to the same result in the end. Luckily, there are those who aren't prepared to comfortably die without a fight.

Stick to your path Steve, thats your choice. Pity you can't celebrate those that make it against the odds, wishes and predictions of others. From your bitterness, tone and attitude, you may have read a bit about other approaches, but not tried lifestyle changes.

I have regular tests, as medical science is very good at finding abnormalities. I've a lot of scaring and thickening in my chest, which gives me problems, so I have to watch that. But I did survive inoperable NSC.

So say what you like, I'm an alive moron, not a dead one. As to being well meaning, not at all, just a viewpoint. I couldn't care less, we all make our own bed to lie in. I only have time for those that have a real go at living and those that are beyond help, that need and accept support.
Posted by The alchemist, Sunday, 8 January 2006 4:11:20 PM
People who reverse the effects of chronic illness without resorting to medication, Steve and Henery, don't do it with green tea and positive thinking. They do it through lots of research, hard work and self-discipline.

In my case, it has meant finding out what nutrition my system was missing and taking a wide range of targeted supplements. It has also meant cutting sugar, alcohol, caffeine, gluten and lactose from my diet. All of this, along with exercise and stress management, has required enormous effort, expense and patience on my part.

You put your faith in the medical and pharmaceutical industries if you will. That is your choice - I respect it and wish you well. Just don't slag off ignorantly at people who choose wholistic methods of healing.
Posted by Bronwyn, Sunday, 8 January 2006 4:16:36 PM
Poor old alchemist, you really are a sad old man; your ego just couldn’t let you hide your real agenda. “My business supports me helping people; we have a place for people to stay to see if we can help. It gives them a break from debilitating city lifestyles”. I gave you a little rope and you hung yourself. Have a look at http://www.quackwatch.org you fit most categories. Your ambulance chasing to fill your little business must make you feel good.

You cannot give me a timeline of your illness because your previous posts give you no time to be ill. “Teaming up with the ex Rev, John Cavanagh Phd meritorious, and Fr Ron Cleary Phd (deceased), in their study travels”. (The term is emeritus and it relates to Professors not Doctors, sorry 30 years of working at The Australian National University taught me these things). But at least you can cut and paste John’s posts from July and claim them as your own.

It’s alright to tell little fibs, I don’t mind, but let us know the reality of your situation, not some theory you have learnt from Google. Your posts are so negative but you espouse knowledge beyond normal mortals.

It is often possible to remove lung cancer with surgery. Of all those people with non small cell lung cancer treated with surgery, about 80 out of every 100 (80%) will be alive 5 years later so much for your death sentence. You continue to state your point of view but have not addressed any of the points I have raised.

Another post from a friend from this Saturday “This post is one I had hoped not to write. My husband Marshall passed away on Wednesday. He seems he caught a flu which turned into pneumonia and he just couldn't fight it. He was too tired from fighting these past years. He went peacefully in his sleep.
I'm going to miss him so much!
Posted by Steve Madden, Monday, 9 January 2006 3:38:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy