The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nguyen Tuong Van is not alone > Comments

Nguyen Tuong Van is not alone : Comments

By Keith Kennelly, published 1/12/2005

Keith Kennelly examines the extent and use of the death penalty around the world.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Like all the impassioned rhetoric that goes under the guise of intuitive and simple logic, redneck's remarks spells out the danger of uninformed minds and warns against an inadequate education system that does not recognize the frailties of the young "unguided/misguided" human mind. I mean to say that like Japan not recognizing its mistakes in WW2, Australia still has not come to terms with the record of it colonial past, imposing and maintaining(in this case, ignoring)a mindset that Australians are only European in origin. But this is the nature of conquerors. If anyone should be pitied, it is the poor aboriginals of Australia, not redneck, who is after all the product of the system. Is the Australian record of "pauperism" of the Abos any better than the record of Yugoslavia? The tremendous efforts by many Australians to overcome this mindset is undone by the many yet relative few who deep down are racists in attitude (and many such can't help it because it is in the nature of the primitive beast to be tribal in nature). Hence let's be more circumspect about our comments.....behind every thing we say lies many unexamined assumptions...I am only too aware myself I have made many assumptions. But that is the limitation of 350 words.
Posted by Lumens, Friday, 2 December 2005 9:10:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have read where Singapore's crime rate is similar to that in Hong Kong.....does that suggest that the death penalty is a deterrent?
Posted by finbar, Friday, 2 December 2005 10:08:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for flaming. Poster suspended for 2 days]
Posted by Realist, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:16:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AFGHANISTAN, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, BAHAMAS, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BOTSWANA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHINA, COMOROS, CONGO (Democratic Republic), CUBA, DOMINICA, EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GABON, GHANA, GUATEMALA, GUINEA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KAZAKSTAN, KOREA (North), KOREA (South), KUWAIT, KYRGYZSTAN, LAOS, LEBANON, LESOTHO, LIBYA, MALAWI, MALAYSIA, MONGOLIA, NIGERIA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, PHILIPPINES, QATAR, RWANDA, SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS, SAINT LUCIA, SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES, SAUDI ARABIA, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SWAZILAND, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, TANZANIA, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE

what a bunch eh? cant wait to join that exclusive club.

it allways ammuses me when the far right claim some kind of majority support. redneck, do you really think the reintroduction of the death plenalty has that much support, enough to win an election on? one would think that this government, so adept at wedge politics would have used it by now if the the support was there. i dont think it is. there are some wedges that are too polarising, and while such a position would attact extremists like yourself you might just find that it loses many in the socialy conservative centre(the real majority), who voted for economic and national stability.

so keep living your fantasys redneck, but if you think that we are going to sit back and let you bring this country down to the third world you are in for a rude awakening.
Posted by its not easy being, Friday, 2 December 2005 12:08:35 PM
Sigh.....

Two high ranked dangerous cities in the USA are in Michigan. - its a easy to confirm; Detroit and Flint - one has a highly visible and large population of negroes - the other mainly white, How does that fit in with Redders theory that multi culturalism festers crime?

In the top top ten nations for murder we can find Columbia, South Africa. Jamaica, Venezuala, Russia, Mexico, Lithuania, Estonia Latvia and Belarus - not all but mainly monocultural places. International indices of crime rank nations you could tag as multicultural low down the scale.

Crime rates have fallen in the past ten years in the European Union - where the states there are awash with coffee colored people.

There are some out there who say in South Africa its the blacks what do the killin'; they may say the same about Jamaica and blame the drug barons in Columbia - but either way you cut it this multicultural/racial mix/crime link is stupid

And of the states in the USA with the death penalty 6 appear in the top ten for death by Murder; so the death penalty would seem to encourage people to kill one another: go figure!who would have thunk it! - How the hell does that work? Maybe people see the state as setting a good example where it kills that which it cant deal, cope or understand in any other way - if it good enuff for the state then its good enuff for the individual.

those states without the death penalty have a murder indice around half that of those where the state kills people for fun and profit.

I would have a lot more time for the proponents of the death penalty if they where just honest enough to admit to the fact that they enjoy the notion of seeing people killed and hunger for revenge, rather than bore the crap out of me with spurious arguments, half baked sociological theories and what's worse adoloescent boasting about how bloody clever they think they are.

sigh....! [Deleted for flaming]
Posted by sneekeepete, Friday, 2 December 2005 12:34:03 PM
I am totally opposed to cold blooded murder be it by bombs thrown in crowded places, premeditated murder, serial murder,by dealing in deadly drugs like heroin, killing or rape of children and other helpless innocents.
I could probably go on but for these crimes, nothing less than the death penalty will do.
And the quicker the better.
Posted by mickijo, Friday, 2 December 2005 2:27:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14