The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nguyen Tuong Van - Australia cannot stand idly by > Comments

Nguyen Tuong Van - Australia cannot stand idly by : Comments

By Mirko Bagaric, published 29/11/2005

Mirko Bagaric argues abolishing capital punishment needs a principled approach.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Comments by swilkie: "Nguyen Van Truong, you shall be a Martyr for the abolition of capital punishment worldwide..... your death will not be without meaning".

Get a grip! This criminal got caught & now he's paying the price. You must have better things to do than make a martyr out of this wretch. Why not make a martyr out of Adolf Hitler or Pol Pot? Surely you feel they have been unjustly executed??
Posted by singaporeaan, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:47:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
singaporeaan, you need to get a grip most first world countries have abolished the detah penalty (obviously except U.S.). It is inhumane and outdated. You need to understand you may set your countrys laws as long as they dont take out citizens lives. In the end your country will be the one who loses out in all of this.
Posted by michaelbeckham, Friday, 2 December 2005 11:54:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MichaelBeckham,
Most first world countries have abolished the death penalty and made peace with their Native citizens(obviously except Australia). We still giving crap to our aboriginals in some way or another; ie. Golf course on sacred land in sydney. No voting rights till recent decades. Treating them as flora and fauna till recent decades. We're still a 3rd world country considering our actions on our own Australian "mates". Respect our own people before judging others.
I'd rather Asia filter scum before it reaches our shores. How many people have your helped or saved in your life? Go to the streets and help our Australia Street children. Go the streets and help our Australian Poor. Strike and abolish guns in Australia. Go to our national forest in QLD, NT and weed out wild marijuana. Do something!
Posted by arf2000, Friday, 2 December 2005 12:58:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is the difference in killing by hanging or killing by drugs?Why is one[drugs] apparently acceptable and the other[hanging] not?
Can any of the pro drug traffickers tell me what is so good about one method that is so wrong about the other.
As I see it one system is about stopping the other from profitting from killing and protecting those who need protecting.
The other system is all about filthy profit from selling drugs to addicts who need treatment, not overdoses.
Posted by mickijo, Friday, 2 December 2005 2:53:45 PM
An interesting read :

Culture Is Destiny; A Conversation with Lee Kuan Yew
http://www.fareedzakaria.com/articles/other/culture.html

Here is something funny :

Disney Land with the Death Penalty
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~afarrell/things/singapore.html

I am a Singaporean. Earlier i commented on my support for capital punishment. Most of us do. Lee Kwan Yew gave us tough love type of living. He probably admires the old empire of the British of keepng the stiff upper lip. And the eastern value of community first. Hence I argued if you sense the loss and grief of one, we sense the loss of many. Now your drug trade is an insidous kind of terrorism within your borders. Australians are being made use as little mules by drug lords with links to terrrorists.

Another part of our psyche -- we are all in the conscript army. 2-2.5 years and further 13 years reservist trg -- playing with guns and all sorts. I have my classmate and schoolmates died in trg.(I must admit this is one reason i would want to get out) ...Just recently it was reported ... some of our best died due unsanction commando torture.

Is there a link ? All this paranoia about protecting ourselves ... and its war against drugs too. It is kind of total defense thingy. Being tough. I think he likes to see us as tough "thugs" with an intellect.

Anyway ... don't worry we are going to get "soft", the signs are there. We will probably do away or amend our capital punishmentin 1-2 decades. We will be more like "first world" ... be soft on crime and as a country be less interesting to talk about.

Who knows ... Australia will bring back capital punishment ... most US states have brought it back ... reversing a trend.

Its a cycle ... who is barbaric. The Chinese and the Japenese once thought the world was barbaric and close themselves off. Theirs was of a very refine culture. Of course we had opium and alcohol that was introduce by the west.... and cycle of life and misery carries on ...
Posted by Be Outrage, Saturday, 3 December 2005 12:37:52 AM
All this concern for a dead drug dealer? Lets just say he finally paid the premium on his misplaced public liability insurance policy. Lets offer Jayant Patel a free pardon, provided he takes half a Kilo of smack via Singapore.

The only problems with the US death penalty is the elaborate cost and delay of the appeal system, the absence of a higher bar for the "reasonable doubt" test when the death penalty is imposed and under funded legal aid. It is now cheaper in USA to keep a guy in prison for life than to execute him.

Good on ya Singapore. And remember, the body of adverse opinion on these posts does not reflect the views of most Australians.
Posted by Perseus, Saturday, 3 December 2005 12:37:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy