The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How not to negotiate with workers > Comments

How not to negotiate with workers : Comments

By Jim McDonald, published 21/11/2005

Jim McDonald argues the WorkChoices Bill favours employers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Sorry Hedgehog - what I did was not a race to the bottom - it was convenient for me and would have saved the company money. That is called flexibility.

At the time, I had two very young kids (not school aged)so when I worked 9-5.30 plus any overtime, and getting to work, I only got to spend two hours max with my kids each day before they go to bed.

If I worked the late shift, I would start work at 3pm and work until 11.30-12 with very little overtime.
But I got to spend all day with my kids and still dropped home for dinner, read them books and tucked them into bed.

What's more, if I worked weekends and had days off during the week, my kids weren't at school so it was like a weekend anyway. Even better, I could take them to the local swimming pool on say a Wednesday when it wasn't packed like a Saturday.

But the union decided this wasn't best for me, what would I know?
I'm a scab because I want to spend time with my kids.

Shonga, just a note about the education budget - look at the total amount spent on public v private schools - the private schools get less money per student. Class warfare, Class warfare, Class warfare.

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Saturday, 26 November 2005 11:27:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sniggid,
Yes i believe that the unions are going to be involved in negotiating AWA's for MEMBER'S. However, thankfully this will not provide a flow on benifit to non-member's. As to whether the new laws can prevent industrial action - for half of the last century strikes many strikes were in fact illegal, however this salient point has evaded lil dimwit/ICA/BCA/SBAA/Andrews.

TUS
Anyone who works under the award rate, and in doing so undercuts their workmates is by definition a SCAB. Suggesting that there is mitigating circumstances is like suggesting that it is alright to cross a picket line for ANY reason. There is NO such reason, show some respect, or be taught it!
Posted by Aaron, Saturday, 26 November 2005 11:52:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aaron, your attitude is exactly what is wrong with the union movement.
Trying to bully your ideals on to other people who don't even want to be part of your organisation and then using threats when people don't oblige.
Did you ever think that is why the majority of people don't want to join a union anymore.
I'm sure your threats, hysterics and blacklists are going to change people's minds

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Sunday, 27 November 2005 2:43:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TUS,

What threats, hysterics & blackmail?

All I suggest is that people who enjoy the benefits provided to them by union action, then spit on those that provided them, should be refused membership in the future.

I also suggest that the ACTU should register and copyright a logo, which is to be provided for use on the packaging of applicable merchandise. Businesses would apply to use this logo, and authorization would be conditional upon their treatment of their employees’. As the requisite standards would be entirely voluntary, they are unable to be regulated by the Federal Parliament.

As all employees’ are by definition human, they are also consumer’s, and as such capable of exerting considerable leverage upon producer’s – which are very often also employer’s. Therefore if employee’s make use of their market power, by CHOOSING to purchase products, and patronise stores with the aforementioned logo, they will bring considerable market forces to bear upon those employer’s who fail to qualify for this logo, whilst rewarding those who do. The effect of this is that many, particularly large employer’s, will be forced by their shareholders (if nobody else) to comply with these requirements for the sake of their bottom line & investment.

This proposal does not seek to intimidate either employee’s or employer’s, it seeks to harness the latent market force that is the Australian employee, not to punish offenders, but to reward those who act well. Fortunately, the indicia for qualifying for such a logo, will be based upon a businesses treatment of its union members only, therefore there will no longer be any need for non-union employee’s to be treated the same as unionists. These non-union employee’s may therefore freely determine and choose the hours, wages and conditions that suit them.

Therefore TUS, Sniggid, BOAZ etc. my proposal is neither intimidatory or threatening, it seeks to bring about regulation of employment through the coalitions much vaunted market forces, and as such you would support it, right? Anyway, I feel that knuckle-dusters and clubs are soooo last century, don’t you?
Posted by Aaron, Monday, 28 November 2005 12:31:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TUS Your children seem to sleep a lot. What a fanciful story. You are not the only parent that wants to spend time with your kids. Undermining your workmates wages and conditions is not the way to to do it. It is also ridiculous for you to give such an example, in the context of this debate.These proposed new laws, will directly undermine an employees ability to structure work and family life. The employer will determine when and where u work, not you. I notice you on every stream concerning the IR reforms, as an unashamed apoligist for Howards extreme agenda. Your shallow contributions expose you for the propagandist you clearly are.
Posted by hedgehog, Monday, 28 November 2005 9:44:16 AM
Ask your coalition senator to oppose the IR legislation in the senate tomorrow by supporting the

A Short Walk to Do the Right Thing campaign

at http://www.yourrightsatwork.com.au/campaigns/
Posted by billie, Monday, 28 November 2005 10:09:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy