The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Michelle Leslie - please explain > Comments

Michelle Leslie - please explain : Comments

By Salam Zreika, published 23/11/2005

Salam Zreika argues Michelle Leslie should explain the inconsistencies in her dress to the Australian public.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I'm surprised that anyone took the conversion seriously. I mean - under the circumstances, in jail for a few days after being caught with ecstasy, it just made her look stupid.

And she's looking increasingly stupid. Heck, if I was a muslim I'd be offended.

A fake conversion would seem indicative of poor moral fibre. A true conversion after mild hardship seems indicative of a fairly hastily thought out set of codes and values. Finally - to change her mind again (if that is what happened) only helps convince me that thoughts breeze through her head like clouds through the sky.

In either case, I agree. She needs to explain - if only to salvage some dignity.
Posted by WhiteWombat, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 2:55:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Couldn't care less whether she offends you or your religion or not Salam.

Get over it.

Did her lies hurt anyone?

Is someone rotting in prison because of her actions?

What would you do in her shoes?

Least she's not faking single motherhood or a bad back to get a pension card.

Same old whiny crap from the same ideology that has less credibility than your average model.
Posted by CARNIFEX, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 3:12:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a regular visitor to Bali. When I was there a month ago, I was in the Matahari dept store in Kuta Square and was going up on the escalator right behind a couple of extremely attractive young women. They were wearing little tops, VERY tight jeans and hijabs on their heads. I see no conflict, perhaps because I am an Australian. I have seen a girl wearing a hijab on the back of a motorbike, with her skirt hitched up far enough to make our Balinese Hindu taxi driver smile. And a Balinese Hindu girl of my acquaintance has a Muslim friend who wears little tops, mini skirts and no hijab. What's supposed to be the problem?

As avocadia pointed out, it's not unknown for various accused men to leave their customary very casual attire in the wardrobe and wear the English national dress to an Australian court, presumably to impress the judge.

I have Christian friends who may do one or more of the following: Be in de-facto relationships. Prefer to swim nude. Be gay and either be in, or actively seek, a relationship. Surely most Christians these days would not criticise them for this. And hopefully, Muslims living in Australia will, if they haven't already done so, learn to "live and let live" in this respect.

Some of us may remember Fred Nile. When Fred was a member of the NSW State Parliament, during a debate on free beaches [clothes optional], Fred said that he would like us all to wear neck-to-knee costumes. But maybe Fred's a bit too fundamentalist for most Australians.

I would like to think that most Australians are more interested in what goes on in a person's mind, and in their resulting actions, than in what they choose to wear.
Posted by Rex, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 3:12:59 PM
It's just a piece of cloth guys.
To cover or not to cover your face or body will not earn you more or less brownie points any more than to be a good person will take you to heaven. It's a lie and it's called "religion".
God must be really upset to see how his world is reverting back to religion after all he has done for humanity.
In case you forgot he has died on a cross to deliver you and me from the religious laws and regulations to give us free access to eternal life with Him.
Check it out while it is still FREE.
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 3:53:04 PM
Perhaps she should have just organized the murder of 200 people, I mean, that get's you like a couple of years right, as opposed to the 15 she was staring down the barrel for carrying 2 pills, possibly carrying on behalf of some son of a government minister, but lets not mention that, you know we have our foreign relations with this Islamic nation to worry about.

Tell us Salam, does it offend your religion when people claiming to be adherents are corrupt to the core, or commit mass murder? Where is the condemnation? Or you don't mind that, only when young girls facing 15 years of hell for a minor indescretion choose to take on a certain dress? A dress mind you that some of you back here insist on wearing despite violating entrenched dress codes because it is your right to express yourself as you want? Does Michelle Leslie not have that right?

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Michelle Leslie ever stated before the court, "go easy on me, I'm a Muslim". And don't tell me Islam holds ownership of the "quilted head" look.
Posted by HarryC, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 5:40:30 PM
Salam,
I must ask you is the religion of Islam adherence to a code of dress laws; or is it like Christianity the expression of character that identifies the nature of God eminating from the mind and soul?

From your comments you judge her relationship to God by her dress and not by her character. I suggest you look much deeper within, perhaps there is weakness in her character for taking estacy, but even if she sin it does not denounce her faith. Changing clothes does not mean you have changed your faith. Or does it??

Quote,"Despite being found guilty, she still stuck to her Muslim appearance until she was freed and back to being the model.."
Posted by Philo, Wednesday, 23 November 2005 8:19:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy