The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Apocalypse now: why we shouldn't fear if the end is nigh > Comments

Apocalypse now: why we shouldn't fear if the end is nigh : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 9/11/2005

Peter Sellick deciphers the religious significance of waiting for the apocalypse.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Jose, the historical evidence is that Jesus epitomised those qualities of wisdom, love and compassion, whether or not he was divine; and yes, if there is a god he surely has these attributes. But in most of us, such qualities are masked by ignorance, greed, delusion, ego. My point is that it is our own responsibility, with our own efforts, to develop these qualities; it's in our own interests and in the interests of all other beings for us to do so. But it's not dependent on belief in God or interpretations of scriptures - we can argue points of scripture for ever, as this site demonstrates, and it tends to get in the way of actually working to purify ourselves.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 14 November 2005 2:46:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goldbrick incomprehensible to you maybe but not to humanity.
Religion was a candle to hold back the darkness now we have a new one called science and a much better one it is to. Stop playing with candles and step into the full light of day.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 14 November 2005 4:34:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GoldBrick

You may not believe I'm an atheist, but I do and (for me) that's what counts. You are free to believe as you will, and I support your freedom.

Gnostics were (are) a peculiar theological group who under various guises (eg, Albigensians) suffered greatly at the hands of Christians claiming (as usual) a monopoly on Truth. I do not believe my salvation will come from my own intellect; I do not believe in "salvation" at all. When I die I will cease to exist. I don't like this much, but I am strong enough to accept an unpalatable truth and not clutch at the religious straw in hope of some form of disembodied postmortem existence.

What difference would a Protestant edition of the Bible make? Aside from various doctrinal differences - to me, as interesting as the old filioque debate, or the one about the angels and the pinhead - it's essentially the same thing. If my present Bible were damaged, I wd just grab the first one I saw in a bookshop as a repacement without fussing too much about what "brand" it was. Every educated westerner should own a Bible - it's a central cultural document, but so are, eg, the works of Shakespeare or the great Greek and Roman writers.

I broadly endorse Kenny's comment (with the addition that scientific method is sound and the way forward, but individual scientific practitioners are by no means infallible, or even always honest).
Posted by Mhoram, Monday, 14 November 2005 5:41:53 PM
I thought the Bible said that Christ would come again when nobody expected it ("like a thief in the night") so obviously it won't be anytime soon since people seem to be expecting it.
Posted by Pedant, Tuesday, 15 November 2005 8:49:09 PM
Plus anyone who has read Douglas Adams knows that the end of the world will be a spectacular catering venture....
Posted by Pedant, Wednesday, 16 November 2005 7:55:20 AM
Atman,
Still not certain of your belief on this matter- do you believe that the world will end, but without Christ's return?
If you believe that the world will not end with Christ's return, what do you believe regarding the ressurection of the body?
If I've misenterpreted you and gone off on a random tangent, no worries.
Posted by Jose, Wednesday, 16 November 2005 5:26:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy