The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is the new industrial relations reform an inequality trap? > Comments

Is the new industrial relations reform an inequality trap? : Comments

By Ray Cleary, published 9/9/2005

Ray Cleary discusses who the IR reforms will benefit and who will be disadvantaged.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
While browsing for information regarding an essay I have to submit, I came across this site. I read 'wre's comments about weekly wages for those on benefits and felt I had to clarify just how much those on welfare receive. I am on Austudy which is the equivalent to what unemployment benefits pay....not $375pw...I wish! The amount is $398 per fortnight. If it were in fact $375pw, nobody would want a job. My essay is about the struggles and current debates over the Industrial relations reform and how these struggles reflect power in organised society. My conclusion...this government is greedy, power mad and reflects a country that is becoming very Americanised. We are in big trouble!
Posted by ozzy, Monday, 17 October 2005 4:37:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More and more is being exposed (or not as the govt would have it) on this Fair Go stuff which actually used to have a name as Industrial Relations rather than a dumbing down "nice guy" moniker.

It's not really about the libs vs labor (the Big Kim being vomitously silent). Wre (sorry if I got your moniker wrong) is right. Some of its about taxpayers on a shoestring paying for people that are "welfared" out of the job cycle, systemically, through dumbing down of education, lack of opportunities for all that are not uni education, things that have gone on for years.

The whole thing about the IR issue is white anting the conditions that Australian workers already have. What is given up through lack of foresight is usually regretted down the track. Little Johnyy's scenario about workers having the luxury of sitting down and shooting the breeze about bargaining away, say 3 weeks of holiday pay with their employer for an equivalent dollar is up there with the ugly step sister fitting into the glass slipper and marrying the prince. Don't shove Cinderella out of the way.

Show me a worker that successfully has a economic and healthy relationship with their employer (as i do and some of my friends are currently negotiating as they are seasoned) - it will not be the norm. Especially with young ones entering the workforce. They'll be cheap fodder. Workers have never sent the country broke.
Posted by Di, Tuesday, 18 October 2005 8:04:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yukky poo!! There is a govt advertisement blinging on my monitor as I posted my last comment, promoting this whole "fair manure for all you fodder" thingy by the govt. Flaming or spam! Tres uncool, like that's gonna change my learned opinion!
Posted by Di, Tuesday, 18 October 2005 8:09:10 PM
There are those who defend the Industrial changes and those that do not. However, as a humble transport operator, I have come from a country as you may see by my handle, that has been living under this system for a number of years. What are the consequences? We have a high rate of crime, the courthouses are packed out every week. There are numerous mortgagee sales nationwide, repossessions, broken homes and most of all HURT! HURT! HURT!

Unless you come from a system that J.H. and his monsters are pushing for then you will never know the consequences first hand. I have had experiences with unscrupilous employers who use the system totally to their advantage. I can go on and on about this mis-used system, with wage comparisons, living costs and so on but it will obiviously not alter the thinking of some, who obviously are situated quite comfortably in their employment, as I would term, "The Boss Lickers". Australia! Wake Up!. There are some who say we are here to steal jobs? If this reform goes through, you can have your jobs, and most of all you can have your Prime Minister, and good luck to you.
Posted by RUNKIWIRUN, Saturday, 5 November 2005 10:18:25 AM
Here are some wage examples in NZ under the same system that J.H. is pushing for...

Line-haul driving...$9.80 per hour...flat rate...t\half=nil
d\time=nil
Local delivery......$12.50-14.00 per hour...same as above

Most safety and work clothing to be provivded by the employee.

I was required to work 17-18 hours a day for that sort of pay.
6 days on and 2 days off was the norm and if a day off was taken you would lose your rostered day off which gave you 7 days on and 1 day off for that week. Everyone was on a casual basis with full time opportunity at the discretion of the company. Casuals in NZ are paid less than full time employees, so I hope you will get an indication of "what's up" and what may happen under the "new reform"

Here's a goody! My Grandad died. I asked for time off to attend his funeral. I was asked to provide proof that he was was my Grandad.

Good luck Aussies!

Good luck Aussies!
Posted by RUNKIWIRUN, Saturday, 5 November 2005 10:46:30 AM
I am not one for big words, but I do know when there is a need for common sense and wise judgment. Now "The Business Council Of Australia" have got their finger in the pie, with a well strategized campaign through the media trying to convince the general public of the benefits of the I.R. reform.

Remember this! Business is about profit, which is good depending on which side of the table you're on. Back home the "Big Businesses" win under the same proposed I.R. reform, with the small business operator going under. Cut back on Union representation, and certain rights and privileges are thrown out the back door.

Australia in the eyes of the rest of the world is and has been a country where people can live decent lives with priveleges and comforts second to none. Look around you! Why are there so many different nationalities? Because of the opportunity that this great country has to offer.

It seems to me that this current government has on it's agenda a "Let's be like America" also coupled with greed which is normal with most leaders of every country. It annoys me to think that a lot of people can be so complacent and think it is going to "Work Out". Sorry, no such thing. Get real everybody! Think about your children, and their children! I used to call my Prime Minister..."Her Worship The Prime Monster" I think she has a brother here in Australia.

Cmon' Aussies! Wakey Wakey!
Posted by RUNKIWIRUN, Monday, 7 November 2005 12:36:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy