The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Basic maths: the brutal reality > Comments

Basic maths: the brutal reality : Comments

By Rhonda Farkota, published 31/8/2005

Dr Rhonda Farkota argues mathematics teaching, like literacy, could benefit from a methodical

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Strayan,
People have to practice anything to become good at it, but I would think there has been a move away from mental thinking towards verbal expression within education.

That does advantage young girls (who are generally more advanced in verbal expression than boys at the same age, while boys are generally more advanced at spatial type exercises) Even at an older age, women will tend to choose areas that require much verbal communication (eg sociology) over areas requiring more mental thinking (eg maths)

With an imbalance of females to males in many areas of the education system, (eg the primary school system) I believe the system is being converted into a system that requires more verbal type exercises, rather than thinking type exercises. (ie “soft science” as compared to “hard science”)

I’ve experienced this system myself when doing a statistics exam a few years ago. I knew the statistics, but the questions on the paper were worded in such a way that they could be interpreted in 10 different ways. The exam was not on statistics, but on interpretation of English
Posted by Timkins, Sunday, 4 September 2005 11:01:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Thieving Magpies comments are most important. They show clearly the pathetic condition of school Maths and a justified contempt for what passes for Maths in schools. Maths is in part a set of tools, hence practice is essential. But children are not trained to become proficient either in Arithmetic in primary schooling or algebra (the gateway to higher mathematics) in lower secondary schooling. That outcome is inevitable because the various state Boards of Study (for TTM the Queensland Studies Authority)produces syllabi that poorly define what is to be studied and contain handwaving non-numerate 'assessment' systems. Because ALL schools have to follow Board syllabi it follows that no improvement can occur until the Boards are compelled to write syllabi/assessments that emphasise the importance of Maths as a tool and assessment systems that are not based on 'on balance judgements'. Until syllabi meet the criteria of being defined, validated and reliable then both maths and the numerical sciences can never improve.
Posted by eyejaw, Monday, 5 September 2005 2:15:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy