The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let us send all children to state primary schools, here's why > Comments

Let us send all children to state primary schools, here's why : Comments

By Dennis Altman, published 4/8/2005

Dennis Altman argues now more than ever our children need to know and respect other cultures.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
If I was 14,15 or over right now, attendance at a public school would ensure that I could safely attend in my gender of identification, without being treated detrimentally by the staff, under a legal framework that says I would have a right to an education no matter my lifestyle. If a uniform was expected to be worn, I could use the uniform garments consistent with my gender of identification.

Would a private school offer that, and what questions would be asked about which amenities I seek to use---though for years the answer to that one has been obvious to me anyway school administrators in a private school might take exception to what is obviously appropriate in the circumstances.

Public schools are absolutely critical because they offer an educational environment which any student of any faith, non-religion, lifestyle, culture etc can attend and get an education, supposedly crucial to assist in participation in the social, cultural and economic life of our society.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Monday, 12 December 2005 5:55:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A particularly interesting article especially when I am a teacher in a Catholic College in a cohort or year 11 & 12s. We have a relatively large ESL group from various parts of Africa which simply do not, have not, don’t appear to be given the opportunity, to assimilate with mainstream students. Although I have broached the subject with other teachers nothing seems to be in place to assist, encourage, cajole, our entire student population to assimilate. Is this a product of the culture of the college or is this simply about difference? What I also find interesting are the ‘other’ kids who seek what I can only interpret as comfort/solace within our ESL closeted environment. These are the kids who for whatever reason don't 'fit-in' with the mainstream kids either. These kids congregate as one in one of the only classrooms which is open during recess and lunch breaks while mainstream kids frolic around our expanse of indoor and outdoor areas. Although I have on a number of occasions ventured in to the ESL area to encourage these kids to come outside and join in with one thing or another, my success has been limited. Every time I walk past this particular area I am at great pains to understand how an all embracing, supportive and caring setting such as a Catholic College can allow this situation to continue.
Posted by Marty Hoare, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 6:32:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marty Hoare,
You are the educator - educate. You see the problem and are there deal with it. This is your opportunity. He who recognises there is a problem and wishes change has the power to make that change because he is aware of a different position. You have the answer.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 6 July 2007 5:31:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy