The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Assessing the Federal IR reforms > Comments

Assessing the Federal IR reforms : Comments

By Mark Bahnisch and John Quiggin, published 1/8/2005

Mark Bahnisch and John Quiggin argue the IR reforms proposed by the Howard Government are likely to lead to inequality of incomes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
The chat about the current state of the unions I think is very interesting. It seems to me that if anything will revive the role and purpose of unionism in Australia, it will be the implementation of the new IR reforms. Unions were born from the need of legitimate civil disobedience and when that need reappears, so will the union movement. If goverment policies won't protect you, where else can you go?
Posted by WAJohn, Wednesday, 3 August 2005 9:12:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sniggid says

"Those who do not wish to join a union must have the same rights as unions to negotiate about working conditions and wages. But they need to be able to negotiate either for themselves individually or as a collective represented by a non union organisation, such as a professional organisation. And whatever is the case unions should respect their decision. Only in this way do all employees enjoy the same rights."

But shouldn't employers respect these decisions also? If you think they should, then presumably you reject the policies of the present government, which, as an employer, demands that employees sign AWAs or individual contracts and, as a matter of policy encourages employers generally to do so.
Posted by John Quiggin, Monday, 8 August 2005 6:14:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Q, we are not in the luxurious position of declining the changes of the Lib govt in IR reforms because apparently, we have been voting for them for the last ten years. A bit of a legacy because apparently we didn't like the Keating package of everything else that was wrapped up in worker reform. Although IR is state based, it also overflows into IR National because of our laws and constitution. Now that the little JWH has control and power over the govt AND most importatnly the senate! Well, if i was a worker, I'd be a tad worried. If i was a big fat cat, it wouldn't probably make a dent in my DKNY wallet. Watch the bumpy space.
Posted by Di, Thursday, 11 August 2005 8:49:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy