The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One nation, one culture > Comments

One nation, one culture : Comments

By John Stone, published 26/7/2005

John Stone argues to win this war, official multiculturalism should be abandoned and Muslim immigration virtually halted.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. All
Continued...
I might add, am I third generation born here, but a third generation Anzac who has fought and literally shed blood for this nation. I believe I and my forefathers fought for this freedom of speech and culture. I served in the armed forces with personnel of many different cultures, including moderate Muslims from Kuwait, Indonesians, South Pacific Islanders, PNG personnel, Malays & Singaporeans, Japanese, US, Canadians, Ghurkas etc etc. We got along just fine as we were working toward the same goals - defence and stability in Sth East Asia.

I spent much time in Indonesia, and loved teh people, was treated wonderfully there. Even so, I was able to determine some pretty savage underlying attitudes in the men of that culture, where so many women are second-class citizens, beasts of burden, sent out to work as prostitutes whilst their husbands sit around most of the day. Are all like that? No! Are many like that? Yes!

Am I racist for observing and reporting such? Am I racist for saying I have seen Indonesian maps listing Australia as "South Java?" Am I racist for reporting that I and friends have witnessed Indonesian troops engaging in acts of genocide against the native Irianese population in Irian Jaya - East Java or West Papua?

Is it racist to talk about what one has witnessed in East Timor - more Indonesian atrocities? At least they are not committed in teh name of Islam, rather in the name of Indon Gov't - but Indon is the largest Islamic nation. Whilst co-operating with Indonesia in matters of defence, aid, finances, forensic science, disaster relief etc etc, is the Australian Govt racist in also having a defence plan drawn up in case of Indon aggression or invasion?

I think not, it is what one may call "due process" or "contingency planning." Indonesia certainly has had its plans in recent times.I can tell you, first hand, I have no desire to live under Indonesian Military Law.

Surely we can discuss the possibility of Islamic Law in Australia, without resorting to need of name-calling and sarcasm?
Posted by Flezzey, Saturday, 25 February 2006 9:29:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a chinese new immigrant, partly I support the idea of the writer. Why we come to australia? The most important reason is the kernel of ideology. Logic, logos, contract, peace, democracy and the most important freedom.

But we have to differentiate what is the kernel of ideology. The kernel is not culture, not language, even not religion. I believe the constitution of australia involving the whole kernel of ideology.

So the best way to syncretize new immigrants is not asking us to pass an english test. I believe a constitution test in our native language is far more better. Just like the muti-languages driving test.

Immigrants can feel the respect and warm. So we have more will to understand how to be a responsible australian.
Posted by nathan, Monday, 8 May 2006 12:39:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i think that John Stone has a good point in moderation not all muslims are terrorists so not all deserve persecution. there is a shortage of skills in Australia so to halt immigration completley is utter madness only islamic terrorists are the people we are fighting this so called"War" against so any not provern to have links to terrorism could be useful to Australia's economy a fair go is what is needed and not to generalise a minority.
Posted by jkid, Tuesday, 9 May 2006 10:48:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy