The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To London Muslims - speak out or be condemned for your silence > Comments

To London Muslims - speak out or be condemned for your silence : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 8/7/2005

Irfan Yusuf sends a message to London Muslims in the wake of the terrorist bombings across the city.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
YngNLuvnlt, your post is probably better suited to the to the article http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=3599.

The call Irfan is making is for Muslim leaders to speak out against the acts of terror. This is neither the time or place to muddy that call with christain claims about Islam. It is the time for those of us who do not want the violence to support moderate muslims who are standing up to be counted.

There is plenty of space elsewhere for the debate about the merrits and failings of Islam.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 8 July 2005 3:18:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't blame it on the muslim community until the investigations are over. If a muslim terrorist network is truly responsible for the London blasts, then the 'war' on terror led by the americans has been a total failure - as usual Bush can't get anything straight - he is just a glorified demented moron.
The solution to any problem lies in negotiations - not declaring war on a nation & killing its citizens in the name of attaining 'democracy'.
The pen is still mightier than the sword or the guns of the forsaken 'coalition of the willing'.
Posted by awara, Friday, 8 July 2005 7:30:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan - thank you for your article. I think you should have addressed your title to ALL practising Muslims across the world - rather then targeting London Muslims.

If moderate good living Muslims throughout the world do not speak out against this latest Muslim terrorist attack they are in my view, just as cowardly as the perpetrators of the London Mass Murder.
Posted by kalweb, Friday, 8 July 2005 7:37:09 PM
Ifran,
Great appeal to moderate Muslims. I give my total support for your considered article.

As for awara,
She need to understand that these terrorist are not motivated to have their own "democracy". These people believe they have the authority of Allah to destroy all infidels. These people abhor democracy and believe in a totalitarian State where Shari'ah law is enforced as in Afganistan under Al Qa'eda. That was the reason all the moderates were leaving Afganistan for western countries as refugees.

Quote Friday July 08, "If a muslim terrorist network is truly responsible for the London blasts, then the 'war' on terror led by the americans has been a total failure - as usual Bush can't get anything straight - he is just a glorified demented moron." I suggest you head off to the Al Qa'eda cells of Afganistan - they will welcome you with outstretched alms. (past spell check ok)

NOTE! The war on terror began after September 11 - so please get some perspective on the causes.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 8 July 2005 9:12:26 PM
Great article and balanced. I do agree before we all get too heated over the days to come, George Dubya is a truly demented moron, elevated far beyond his level of competence. Which worries me in these times, but that's another forum I'm sure. I think that most people, be black, white, brindle, catholic, islam, hindu, et al, are quite reasonable and don't want to rule the world. The fundamentalists of any religion are the ones that do. I'd rather save the world than rule it. That's the paradox. I don't think you can do both. But the fundamentalists of any ilk think they can do both. What an oxymoron. How is it that any good book has been so misinterpreted over its message? I do local radio in my community and we did a special on what was going on in London. Again, in times like these, the only true anthem we could play to nutshell it was John Lennon's "Imagine". Total utopia, because our attitudes and our history will never allow us to get there. Call me altruistic, you may say I'm a dreamer...
Posted by Di, Friday, 8 July 2005 9:34:44 PM
You wanted some response from a London Muslim ? Here you go...

Like many in this city I’m an adopted Londoner. I’ve been here in this city for ten years now and it truly has the best that the world has to offer. I treasure the freedom and open-mindedness this city gives me. It is this diversity of people, living together, side by side, shoulder to shoulder that makes this city truly great, waves and waves of immigration that create new and ambitious communities and cultures that feed the soul of this metropolis.

But here’s the rub. Even if you are someone (like myself) who felt that they were lied and manipulated into supporting a war against non-existent weapons of mass destruction; even if you (like myself) went on the anti-war demonstrations protesting against this abuse of power; you can still abhor and despise these violent and ruthless terrorists who today chose to end the lives of ordinary people, people like yourself and myself. You can still be a Muslim (like myself) and want them to be hunted down and punished in strange and brutal ways. Because they don’t stand for Islam. They never have and never will. Here’s the core of this conflict; it’s not between Muslims and Christians. It’s against fundamentalists and moderates. And unless moderate Muslims (like myself) stand up and condemn what these people do, in the ‘supposed’ name of my religion, nothing is going to change.

As someone once said, ‘Islamic extremism is to Islam as the Ku Klux Klan is to Christianity’. A virulent mutation. An unwelcome and unholy prostitution.

This is London. We have been here for tens of thousands of years. It’s going to take more than this to bring us down You are going to have to get through people like me, for generations and generations, before you even come close to succeeding. And we will prevail. We will overcome. Trust me
Posted by Af, Friday, 8 July 2005 10:10:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy