The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Talk is cheap, tears are not enough, and being sorry will get you nowhere > Comments

Talk is cheap, tears are not enough, and being sorry will get you nowhere : Comments

By Brett Mason, published 27/6/2005

Brett Mason argues conspicuous compassion is not enough, we need positive practical measures to solve world problems.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
There is no mention that the weapons to commit the killing of millions have been supplied (often free) by some of the wealthy countries. Until we stop the huge global sale of arms we will not reduce the killing.
Posted by Peace, Monday, 27 June 2005 2:29:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Where are the facts justifying your suggestion that aid must be used to free up trade, in order to address the root causes of poverty in the third world ? My understanding is that where free trade had been tied to Aid in the past, as in the IMF loans which require privatisation/free trade, in order to get those loans - has proven to be a dismal failure. Witness Argentina - got the IMF loans, opened their markets, privatised everything and within a few years, their economy collapsed making it the biggest IMF defaulter yet. According to the Gaurdian (Monbiot) " As the World Bank's own figures show, across the 20 years (1960-80) before it and the IMF started introducing strict conditions on the countries that accepted their loans, median annual growth in developing countries was 2.5%. In the 18 years after (1980-1998), it was 0.0%." The problem is that 'free trade' tends to mean free trade for the poorest country and the antithesis of free trade ( subsidies, trade protection etc) for the very propopents of same. So, again I ask, where is your proof that aid tied to 'freeing up' the economies that such aid is directed to - will benefit those economies and take them out of the predicament which required them to need aid in the first place.
Posted by aniko, Monday, 27 June 2005 6:05:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok all I can say is, off you go and change the world, and don't write anything here again until you can prove your work has made the world a better place ;) All jokes aside; I actually agree with you about tokenists, sorry days and the like. Do-ers are better for the world than thinkers. So I say, if you think you have the goods, go do it. I can't because I am too gutless of being kidnapped, shot or whatever...so in the meantime I keep my mouth shut. hee hee
Posted by silent minority, Monday, 27 June 2005 6:39:10 PM
It's still only words. If we are to be practical and actually do something, then the majority of people are only able to start in their own little patch, unless they are in a position to go out and change the world. So, it's about doing stuff that you can during the day - smile at the bus driver, wave to the person in the car who lets you into the queue, pay for the person behind you at the toll gate, laugh at yourself more, and get outside and look at the sky!!
Posted by Pennyc, Monday, 27 June 2005 6:40:07 PM
Peace, .. r u for real ?

That is the most simplistic 'disney' assessment to world conflict I've seen for a long time. It fails to address the human condition.
Your approach seems to be 'look, there are 10 mass murderers in your village, DONT let them have guns and they will go away' Only to find they go and grab the nearest chunk of wood and bludgeon everyone else to death. Don't treat the SYMPTOM, treat the underlying cause, which is fallen mankind. Redeemed and renewed people tend to move away from that kind of thing.

Nigeria at last count had consumed something like 3 "Marshall Plans" in $$ stolen by their leaders. <== this, is the problem NOT the debt !
Get rid of the corrupt leaders, introduce values that are enduring, and there might be a chance of success.

The corrupt politicians of Africa learned well the ways of their colonial masters, who just exploited, marginalized and displaced them, so they emulate. We are as much the problem as them. Humanity has never escaped "all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God" and that is why these problems exist. Where Christ reigns in HEARTS (as opposed to political structures) the politics seems to be beneficial and Holistic. When 'man' is on the throne of his own life, he just acts like a man, hence, Nigeria, Congo, etc etc. We are still trying to exploit them by proxy, nourishing various power factions for the sake of multi-national profit. Shame on us
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 27 June 2005 8:03:10 PM
"Tears are not enough". And there are reasons enough for tears. "All the world is sad and weary, everywhere I go," - sung by my grandparents, with reason enough, some three quarters of a century ago - is still as current as ever.
And Senator Brett Mason stirs us now in relation to the situation: "don't say anything unoless you're also prepared to do something."
Senator, the Parliament, of which you are a part, could do - rather than talk - much, much more. The most important action would be to fully implement our commitment, made at Cairo in 1994, to help developing countries promote the emancipation of women and consequently minimise population growth.
"The real solution to poverty is democratic reform, opening up the economy, freeing up trade, and creating robust social institutions." Fine words. But they are programs difficult to implement and sustain in the face of reality: Africa's population is predicted to double in some 30 years; Asia (excluding China) is expected to take about 44 years to do so. Even now, their environments (eg. soils, water, biodiversity etc.) upon which these populations depend are badly depleted, and are deteriorating.
Until our Australian Parliament does, rather than talk, in relation to amelioration of the most fundamental cause of the tears - incessant population growth - then we need to look around for statesmen who will implement this most effective of all overseas aid. Better that than having yet again to face "The brutal truth is that genocide is only ever stopped by force of arms, or not at all."
Posted by colinsett, Monday, 27 June 2005 8:23:06 PM
The unvarnished truth is that until something is done to halt the rate of population increase in third world countries all attempts at improving their condition will be futile. As opposition to any restriction to population growth is the only policy that the Vatican and the muslim world agree on, nothing will be done and conspicuous compassion will be used solely to make first worlders feel better. The four horsemen of the Apocalypse are saddling up ready to solve the problem. For the benefit of those not familiar with the Bible, their names are: War, Famine, Pestilence and Death.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 27 June 2005 11:03:17 PM
Some use words, inter alia, to raise consciousness, to question, to seek, to contribute; some use words to raise the idea that words are futile and self-serving for their own political ends. So 'Opinion On Line' is a waste of time? So street protests are a waste of time? So taking action by creating discourse that riles against ideologies that people think are harmful and unfair is a waste of time? Perhaps it is waste of Liberal's time? Perhaps we should all adopt Senator Brett Mason's Liberal Party policy as our first action to a fair world. If words are so useless why does the Liberal/Labour/Democrats/Greens and all the other major parties spend zillions on public relations with their conspicuously compassionate propaganda.
Posted by rancitas, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 8:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Visit http://www.rightsatwork.com.au/ to be informed or take action against unfair and unjust Liberal reform in the workplace. Instead of this Liberal defeatist aiming for the lowest workplace conditions for Australian workers lets set the bar at its highest possible level for other nations to aim for - always aim high.
Posted by rancitas, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 9:27:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent article Brett. It seems to me that it's much more important to be thought of as compassionate these days then to actually BE compassionate. Most of the drivel spruiked under the cover of the "C" word finds its origin in political hatred. The destruction of conservative governments is much more important than solving problems and helping people.
Posted by bozzie, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 2:59:29 PM
Brett, I think you have tapped a vein here.

"Australian society, sadly, is not free of tokenism, symbolism and conspicuous compassion"

I would suggest that we are rapidly getting to the point where we are, not simply tainted with, but entirely constructed from these vices. One indication is that we do not have one single newspaper of record - they are all, as are the television and radio stations, branches of the entertainment industry. This is why there are such varying reactions to international disasters. The tsunami was given a run, but I suggest that if there hadn't been the dramatic pictures, which gave a visual hook to the segment or column, the story would have been far shorter. Hands up those who can tell us how many have died of starvation in Zimbabwe so far this year?

And Boaz, comments like this don't help:

"Where Christ reigns in HEARTS (as opposed to political structures) the politics seems to be beneficial and Holistic"

Give us one example, please, that support these empty musings.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 3:23:02 PM
Brett wrote: "But the Howard Government has been consistently resistant to this sort of make-believe social, economic and foreign policy, which is why it has championed initiatives and philosophies such as mutual obligation, practical reconciliation, and tied aid."

Ok fair enough, how about this for a practical solution Brett. Reconcile and repatriate with Indigenous people for stolen land, wages and children. The first of these are easily quantifiable, the third may be a bit difficult but I'm sure Indigenous people would be willing to negotiate. Then, come up with a practical economic and fiscal and legal formula and lets wipe the slate clean once and for all! It’s practical and positive and would solve many problems...hang on, what’s that I hear you say? ...its still compassion??...so who decides when its compassion or practical?
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 4:29:57 PM
Ah, Brett, another who offers only an either/or scenario.
Most of us think and feel and talk about lots of situations we feel strongly about, it may not be much, but it is something. It also keeps us engaged with the world and learning.
Some of us then turn some of our compassion into action, maybe money, maybe letters to papers, politicians, lobbying, joining citizens groups or political parties or volunteering.
A few saints take serious action and go feed the hungry and heal the sick.
Compassion is good, not good enough alone perhaps, but a good start. Without it, no-one would ever do anything.
Just as the promoters of exercise and healthy living have realised that asking people to do too much actually paralyses them, so we need to understand that every little bit of help, helps. Condemning small acts of compassion as not good enough will help no-one. And the importance of saying "Sorry" to indigenous people should be decided by indigenous people themselves, not by white Australians who tell them that much as they may desire a symbolic gesture, it is not appropriate for them to get it. That argument always sounds so arrogant to me and exposes a lack of not just compassion, but imagination.
Posted by enaj, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 4:38:33 PM
Aid

Point one: Throwing monetary aid at world poverty is better than not throwing money at it in most cases. It’s just not very efficient. Which leads to-
Point two: As suggested above, it does not address or solve the root cause of the world’s problems (largely human inflicted).
There is at least one international organisation that has realised that the solution to world poverty & suffering lies within the individual. The New Humanists (Humanist Movement or Siloists) work with both the individual & society simultaneously, with the full understanding that we will not change unless we do precisely this.
This organisation is largely ignored in the western world. It is Latin (South America) based and has grown from 1969 to 2 million active members. It has substantial presence in South America, Northern Africa, India, Bangladesh & generally thrives in poor, “democratically” governed nations. It was not slow to establish itself in Eastern Europe post Soviet bloc.
The Movement has frequently been classed as a subversive cult, as a “brainwashing” exercise, as dangerous. There is a “Silowatch” website created by a disgruntled former member.
The organisation is not dumb. It is structured, it is cultured & has almost infallible logic. It can be harsh & intolerant of those who wish to speak but not act. It alienates a lot of people.
But it is correct. The results are starting to speak for themselves
Posted by Swilkie, Tuesday, 28 June 2005 7:53:24 PM
Thankyou for pointing out my 'self-indulgent, and quite often harmful' ways. Before reading your article I believed a more compassionate approach to kids in detention was much needed. Shows how little I know.
Posted by Tieran, Thursday, 30 June 2005 1:21:58 PM
OK Swilkie, I'll bite. What do the Siloists believe to be the answer to world poverty and suffering?

'Silo, the Argentinean guru, sees the chief problem of society is that we are governed by "unprincipled pragmatism", too much choice facing any individual, and global (American) banking interests. He argues that capitalism has misled us to believe that free-market forces will ultimately relieve us of every problem, from poverty to the environmental crisis. He believes that we are in a period of "schizophrenic individualism" in which everybody looks after only himself.'

[From Arthur Chappell's review of "Silo: Letters To My Friends, Latitude Press 1994]

It's not the most earth-shattering analysis I have seen, but what my research couldn't uncover was any practical advice on what to do about it.

In what way do Siloists "work with both the individual & society simultaneously"?

You claim that "[t]he results are starting to speak for themselves" - could you give a couple of examples?

Frankly, my snap judgement would be that it is just another hangover from the drug-fuelled dreams of the idealistic Sixties. But I happen to believe in taking an objective stance on everything new that crosses my path, so if you have anything to back it up, I for one would be interested to hear it.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 30 June 2005 2:32:29 PM
The answer to poverty & suffering is to create a ground swell of consciousness &understanding of the individual, society, & non-violence. The answer could also be 43.
Seriously now, the fact is that the more people involved in solving the above, the better.
Arthur Chappel’s review is correct & far too simplistic. A number of HM (it’s the usual abbreviation) publications exist. All the core work is deconstructive in the philosophical sense & to the point. It integrates a combination of Bhuddist-style philosophy & meditation techniques with practical approaches to local & universal social problems. The culture is, as previously described, South American based.
If one wishes to contribute, one will be asked to establish a group of associates with the same values & goals. The activities will be of your choosing within the values of the HM. Meditation involving ‘light’ & the ‘force’ will be explained & ‘guided experiences’ will be recommended. Your financial contribution, if any, will have no bearing on your status. Your status is determined by your (unpaid) activity.
The HM does have its origins in the generational crisis of the ‘60’s. Drugs are not involved. Full stop.
Most HM members are normal citizens, with normal jobs & day-to-day problems.
The structure is unashamedly a pyramid, with Silo at the peak. The structure will alter with time, but it is appropriate for now. It is simply his life’s work to create a structure of good that will outlive him self.
The more people there are with his values, the better

Links

http://www.humanisten.ch/hi/front/index.php?lang=en

http://www.humanistparty.org.uk/

http://www.humanistparty.org.uk/links.htm

Peace rally in Budapest March 22 photo published by SMH with full credit to the Humanist Movement of Hungary
Posted by Swilkie, Thursday, 30 June 2005 10:25:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy