The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kim Beazley on a learning curve > Comments

Kim Beazley on a learning curve : Comments

By Nick Ferrett, published 21/6/2005

Nick Ferrett argues Kim Beazley could have learned enough to be a threat at the next election.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Alchemist

I don't think we have missed the point at all. I have no illusions that beazley will take labor across the line at the next election. Until labor actually seizes on the many opportunities provided by the Howard government and provides some true opposition - no one is going to vote for labor. Beazley has failed too often. No one is taking labor seriously.

So it would appear that Australia is sticking to the devil they know rather than pay any credibility to the man from yesterday they know only too well.
Posted by Trinity, Sunday, 3 July 2005 2:02:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are two factions fighting over one ideological position. Opposition within this political framework sounds like an echo.

The culture war is over, the Liberals have won and Labor has yet to completely comprehend this victory as the Latham fallout has shown.
Howard will jump before he is pushed and this will be strategically organised so that it gives Labor no favors.

The real questions for me centre upon how Labor can reform itself in time for it to be competitive in the next election.

Whether Beazley or whoever leads them, the results of good structural and cultural reform required in the Labor party will define their political mettle.

This will be reform on the run, but it will be hard and ruthless reform that may see some of Labor's sacred cows sacrificed for the good of the party and the election. But I also feel that Labor is unwilling to go down this road to save its own hide. And I’m not the only one who thinks they have become comfortable and relaxed in opposition.

I listened and watched Wayne Swan talking to thousands of unionists in Brisbane last week. It was easy enough for him to call them to arms by pointing out how Howard’s impending IR reforms will hurt them.

But it was obviously difficult for him to point towards Labor as their only savior.

This is how far the political landscape has shifted to the Right. I'll be looking toward the next State election here in Queensland to see how relevant Labor is to voters.

It will prove to be the datum point that either bounces Federal Labor into a real fight for government or it will set a path for a train crash for Beazley and his professional oppositionalists.

And this is why I feel Nick Ferrett's assessment of Beazley's learning curve is irrelevant. It will not be his call.
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 3 July 2005 5:29:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Beazley is an old player - whether he has learned anything (which I doubt) it is too late for the Labor party.

A threat at the next election? I really would like to see that.

Lindsay Tanner could provide some necessary grist, however the right wing faction won't let that happen.

Labor may just scrape over the line by default if Costello leads the libs and the IR changes bite hard. Maybe.
Posted by Trinity, Monday, 4 July 2005 8:04:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy