The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When academics don’t like the results of good research > Comments

When academics don’t like the results of good research : Comments

By John Fleming and Selena Ewing, published 25/5/2005

John Fleming and Selena Ewing reply to Eva Cox’s article criticising their research into Australians' attitude to abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Dear Manz: :"Professional Responsibilities of Researchers pt 14. - clearly states that " Researchers must always be prepared to make available the technical information necessary to assess the validity of any published findings" - key word being "always"". For the umpteenth time, all of this will be complied with when the research project has been completed. That is, "we are preparedto make available the technical information". So, we are not in breach of any ethical guidelines. This is my last on this for the time being.
Posted by John I Fleming, Thursday, 2 June 2005 9:19:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am no academic but the first thing I asked myself, after having read the "key findings", was "what were the questions asked?"

Testing the validity of research results, which I thought included an analysis of the methodology used, as well as the results achieved, entails submitting that research for peer review.

Dr Fleming says the questions will be published later. That's fine! But until the "research" can be effectively peer reviewed the "key findings" have little validity.

Peer review also serves to test the quality of the research reporting. In this respect Dr Fleming's "research" has been found lacking also.
Posted by annacam, Saturday, 11 June 2005 11:30:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Agreed annacam.

So John Fleming - are we there yet?
Posted by Ringtail, Saturday, 11 June 2005 12:33:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy