The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Justifying rape? Most Muslims won't defend the indefensible > Comments

Justifying rape? Most Muslims won't defend the indefensible : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 13/5/2005

Irfan Yusuf argues a Muslim leader's controversial comments on rape do not reflect the view of the majority.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
hi,

thanks for your comments, every1. i have not read any of irshad manji's works so i cannot comment on them.

for some muslim reviews of her work, go to the following url's ...

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/03/the_trouble_wit.php

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2004/02/a_multifaceted.php

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2003/11/thanks_but_no_t.php

i would be interested to read examples of muslim communities oppressing non-muslims. i agree that this has occurred. but i wonder how much of it was inspired by religion itself.

regards
Posted by Irfan, Sunday, 22 May 2005 2:12:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Nomad,

Unfortunately Ms Irshad is not perceived by Muslims as someone who studied or understand Islam.

You can get better/ deeper insight from "Koran for dummies", or other
US based educational/ analytical sites.
I support your idea for open debate as long as it is calm and reasonable (Not sure how you can achieve that:):)

Hi Arjay,

I can't understand your concern(s), you seem too angry with muslims for whatever unclear reasons and your history reading seems to be selective as well. All the best,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Monday, 23 May 2005 12:39:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rape has nothing to do with clothing, sex, or a woman's looks! Elderly women are frequent targets of rapists. And they are usually severely bashed first.

Rape is a criminal offence. It has nothing to do with sexual "urges". It is about power and control. It is about hurting. It is the worst of all crimes.

I was dragged off the main street by two men at twighlight (9pm) in a small country town. They dragged me behind a church. I was on holidays. I asked the locals if the area was safe before I went for my evening walk.

The bastards bashed me senseless before raping me. The police said I was lucky to be alive. I was wearing jeans and a long sleeved jacket. The only part of my body that was visible was my face and my hands. Hardly provocative!
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 26 May 2005 11:01:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ash Koheil,if you are not aware of the division and hate perpetrated by a substancial number in your community,then we all have a major problem.You either confront the differences honestly or it will all end in a bloody conflict such as Northern Ireland and Lebanon,that have suffered for centuaries.Many have come here to escape this stupidity.Do you really want this?

You are living in denial,and denial compounds and reinforces this insanity.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 1 June 2005 9:29:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,

I believe overwhelming majority of muslims in Australia are good law abiding citizens who interact well with the community. Can you be more specific about your issues?

Two points:

1- You seem to be unable to make up your mind whether the bad people are the majority or minority of the community.

2- Every community need two sides to integrate. I am not sure how
does incidents like the melbourne Evangelican church last year can help. Efforts should be done equally from both sides.

Nomad48

I would agree outside the koranic value there are different interpretations and sources for the Hadith. However, there are debates and studies conducted by muslims scholars (TV and websites)..
I can send you a list of sites..

Ash
Posted by Fellow_Human, Thursday, 2 June 2005 1:19:09 PM
Well Ash Koheil, the moderates need to be heard.Why are they not protesting in the streets against these radicals who are defaming your Islamic faith?If the moderates don't speak up,their silence is condoning the violence and disrespect many in your community are displaying to many Australians.Our community has afforded you with feeedom of thought,religion,job opportunities, social security and good will.How many of these things will you find in an Islamic country?

I think the radicals have the moderates too scared and this form of surpression will result in political,social and economic decline as has happened in Lebanon.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 2 June 2005 9:57:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy