The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex, lies and stereotypes > Comments

Sex, lies and stereotypes : Comments

By Angela Chong, published 13/5/2005

Angela Chong argues a woman’s autonomy must not be compromised by what she chooses to wear.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All
Wow Di - you old romantic you.

Timkins - wish I could, like Di, apologise to you. I do apologise to any inferred slur to your daughter - an innocent.

However, unlike many posters who reveal a great deal of empathy in their posts eg, RObert & BD. I never see any hint of understanding from you towards others who hold different POV's. Even when people such as ringtail has stated that they agree with a point you have made - you never acknowledge this - no doubt because you have disagreed with ringtail vehemently over many issues. Try a little understanding - you have nothing to lose.

As for 'proving' anything on these forums - if you think your internet links and stats prove anything then you are very wrong. Anyone can 'Google' their way around and prove that black is white if they want. You miss the point of this forum which is a discussion of a variety of views - if you want I can provide a plethora of links describing sexist judgements, however I prefer the thrust and parry of discussion than expecting someone to a) read my links and b) believe them anyway.

I've probably just wasted my time on timkins yet again.
Posted by Xena, Thursday, 26 May 2005 11:25:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Xena, you are right in your last post, but at least these guys have a great sense of humour, which is a good barrier breakdown. I don't think that any posters have not had the issue in hand and at least we've thrown it back and forth with banter and not too many insultss (even if we've gone off track). You obviously haven't come across the Col Rouge who left his sense of humour at the door and gives some very harsh hand me down (Indonesian style) judgements on posters. Summing up the clothing debate...women have always been judged (and probably men have too, but to much lesser discrimination) by their attire (or lack of) regardless of the intention of the wearer. I don't think the wearer should cop any discrimination or abuse by the clothing they choose to wear (be it unintentionally or deliberately revealing), daggy or just plain unattractive. Judging by the way society is, it is still a long road to go. I still think the judge who made that decision should be made to walk down Oxford Street in a leather miniskirt with fishnet stockings and red stilletos with a blond wig on and see how much "deference" he gets treated rather than in his sheepskin wig and black cloak, but hey! That may well be how he dresses for his dominatrix appointments anyway!
Posted by Di, Thursday, 26 May 2005 8:02:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've got absolutely nothing to say on this topic but thought I had better post something so BOAZ_David knows I'm still around.
Posted by Priscillian, Thursday, 2 June 2005 7:57:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy