The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails > Comments

Slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails : Comments

By John Ridd, published 20/4/2005

John Ridd argues the education establishment doesn't have a clue about what makes boys disadvantaged in the English classroom.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
There is no doubt that many boys, particularly the not "naice" ones, and some girls are disconnected from schools, and that more needs to be done to make what we teach relevant to who we are teaching.
But, there is a question in this debate that is never asked, if girls do so much better at school, what happens to them after school? Where are all our bright, high achieving, well educated girls?
There are two problems in the way we educate our kids illuminated here; a systemic bias against boys in our schools and a similar systemic bias against girls in our work places. Neither are acceptable.
Posted by enaj, Wednesday, 20 April 2005 10:56:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi John
I can never understand how so many well meaning people and researchers make people like me and you so angry. Could it be that all educational research is fundamentally flawed because the organisations (schools) on which they comment are themselves flawed. This messes up relationships, leadership opportunities and pretty much everything else. UK kids are rated as having the lowest self esteem in Europe but the effort put in by teachers (and researchers)is huge. Sadly our schools as organisations are flawed and based largely on what I can only describe as a pack of visionary lies. Pile in massive government interference and the organisation drowns in complexity. I believe that vertical tutoring has many answers so please visit www.verticaltutoring.org where I try to explain all of this. Having been a very successful head, I understand slugs only too well. Peter
Posted by retep, Wednesday, 4 July 2007 9:00:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy