The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Windschuttle, history warriors and real historians > Comments

Windschuttle, history warriors and real historians : Comments

By Dirk Moses, published 11/4/2005

Dirk Moses offers a riposte to Keith Windschuttle's essay 'Tutorials in Terrorism'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All
Children worked in the mines and mills. The death rate was high and the life span low. Black people were exhibited like animals and the philosophy of the day did not admit them as humans.

A recent book I recommend for an idea of attitudes during settlement is “My Dear Spencer the Letters of F.J.Gillen to Baldwin Spencer” http://www.biblio.com/books/2699507.html

Gillen, a decent man who says he prefers the Indigenous (he calls them ‘nigs’) to many of the white settlers, knows a policeman who participates in ‘turkey shoots’.

Gillen is an educated man who corresponds with a respected anthropologist. He was only mildly critical of these ‘turkey shoots’, and did nothing. The anthropologist did nothing.

This is entirely consistent with the way my father described attitudes of the outback people toward the Indigenous in the 1930’s. They detested the Indigenous people, thought they did not deserve to be on the land and thought it a cryin' shame that they hadn't all been shot.

These were not bad men and women. That was just the way it was and even more so back in the 19th century. Think about it.

Perhaps the problem is that you are imagining too much, that the settlers were good blokes just like you. They were good blokes but were still happy to see the Indigenous people die out, or be killed by not so good blokes
Posted by Mollydukes, Thursday, 21 April 2005 6:43:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wish to correct a statement made above.

I said: "Whitewash" actually notes 3 killings missed in "Fabrication".

Two of these were recorded in "Fabrication" after all - from a different source.

So in fact "Whitewash" identifies only one killing not discussed in "Fabrication"

John Dawson
Posted by John Dawson, Wednesday, 14 September 2005 2:18:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy