The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lies, damned lies and fluoridation > Comments

Lies, damned lies and fluoridation : Comments

By David McRae, published 8/3/2005

David McRae argues that the public has been misinformed over the benefits and risks of fluoridation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
DizzyLizzie's latest post shows she may be guilty of some misguided assumptions herself because apart from what to her is the bleeding obvious -- fluoridation's effectiveness, fluoride seems for Dizzy to have another function entirely --- to increase the uptake of calcium into bone. Now Dizzy does not say how much is needed -- a trace element is clearly much less than 1mg/l -- and fluoridated water contains many multiples of 'a trace element'.
Besides, Dizzy's claim about calcium uptake is at direct odds with the UK Environment Agency (sorry another organisation missing the bleeding obvious) which states " The fluoride ion itself is highly toxic to living organisms. It binds strongly with calcium and magnesium and prevents these essential nutrient elements from carrying out their biochemical functions. This is the basis of the toxicity of inorganic fluorides".
Worse still, the noted Indian academic and expert on fluorosis Dr Susheela has demonstrated that fluoride replaces calcium in teeth and presented this evidence to the UK parliament. Maybe here again one of the world's leading experts in fluorosis must be missing the bleeding obvious.
What has always been obvious to those who look at the policy from a rsponsible public health perspective, is that once fluoride or anything else is added to the food chain -- yes water is a food -- the dosage can not be controlled. This was the reason why France rejected fluoridation as a public health measure in the early 1990s.
Posted by Howzzat, Wednesday, 6 September 2006 9:14:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the advantages and disadvantages of getting old--depending on your interest in a subject--is that you hear the same arguments time and time again. I've been listening to the fluoride debate for nearly 60 years. I'm not going to add to the generous helpings of pro and con in this thread....but I will add two postings, one about a visit I had recently to the dentist and one about learning--just to widen the discussion, soften its edges and hopefully provide some other perspective on dentistry and dentists. Some readers may find my remarks too personal, too impressionistic and, to these, I apologize beforehand.
Posted by Bahaichap, Sunday, 15 October 2006 1:52:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Part #2:

In September 1959 a conference of some thirty-five scientists, scholars, and educators was held in the USA to discuss how education in science could be improved. It was attended by noted educator Jerome Bruner and the results were discussed in his book The Process of Education. My life as a pioneer of sorts began the year that book was published, 1962. Over the next forty years I learned a great deal and Bruner explains much of what I learned and why. Given the four dozen theories of learning I now have in my three volumes of psychology notes, I would be hesitant to give Bruner too much of the credit. -Ron Price with thanks to Jerome Bruner, The Process of Education, Harvard University Press 1962, pp. 97.

There is much more to learning, but.....
Perhaps the most basic thing
that can be said about human memory,
after a century of intensive research,
is that unless detail is placed
into a structured pattern,
it is rapidly forgotten.

Discovery of regularities
in previously unrecognized relations
and similarities between ideas,
results in a sense of self-confidence
in one's abilities.

Organizing facts
in terms of principles and ideas
from which they may be inferred
is the only known way of reducing
the quick rate of memory loss......

so says Jerome Bruner.....

Ron Price
19 December 2003
Posted by Bahaichap, Sunday, 15 October 2006 1:54:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Please go to <www.prestonaprice.org> and learn. regards, numbat
Posted by numbat, Sunday, 15 October 2006 2:08:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry! the link should read <www.westonaprice.org> numbat
Posted by numbat, Sunday, 15 October 2006 2:15:20 PM
The Democratic Labor Party's commitment to locals having a local voice coincides with David's thoughts on the ethics of compulsorily dosing people with fluoridated water:

"Community water supplies free from fluoride and other forms of mass medication except where approved in a referendum of the local communities concerned with the issue."

Personally, my own interest has risen with the birth of my children. I also really appreciate the comment made about breast milk. If flouride were necessary for the proper uptake of calcium, where would that leave the bones of breast fed babies?
Posted by Newhouse, Thursday, 28 June 2007 4:27:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy