The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism one and the same thing? > Comments

Are anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism one and the same thing? : Comments

By Philip Mendes, published 4/2/2005

Philip Mendes draws distinctions between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All
Dear All
anyone trying to understand the middle east, should read this article as well as the usual stuff they read.

http://www.nationalreview.com/dreher/dreher041102.asp
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 18 February 2005 8:00:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
and here is another...

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j041502.html
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 18 February 2005 8:03:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"and here is another...
http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j041502.html"

Yeah I took a look at that and some of Raimondo's other diatribes. All I can say is - Wow. I had no idea this kind of material was out there. I wouldn't know where to start with this idiot.

You are making an important underlying point though, Boaz, which is the more the conflict becomes about competing religious visions, the less it can be solved through compromise and negotiation. If it's about land, or water*, the horse-trading can begin and a deal can be made. But what do you say to someone who sees the birth of a red heifer as the herald of the end of time? You either believe it or you don't.

* It's interesting that throughout the whole conflict, Palestinian-Israeli-Jordanian cooperation on water issues has been _relatively_ sensible and practical.
Posted by W_Howard, Saturday, 19 February 2005 7:18:26 AM
W_Howard :)
that is exactly my point.. well observed. I wish some others would take the time to explore this issue.
Its not about how 'loony' the issue seems, its about how much of it is believed and held precious by those who are making the decisions in the area. But I agree with your assessment of that one.(Raimondo)
Others are more balanced, and treat the Temple issue in a more reverent way, linking it to the traditions etc.
Water would be most critical in that area.. I was also nothing the 'car park' mentality of the Turks who decided to divert large chunks of the Euphrates into agriculture before it even reaches Norther Iraq.. "its MY water..no.. ITS MINE" :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 19 February 2005 8:04:10 AM
Mr. Mendes,

Anti-Zionism is exactly what it is, anti-Zionism. The real question is why some people are constantly trying to rename it (in the U.S. it's a blitzkrieg). Why are you trying to meld it into something it is not? What is your motive? Aren't you appalled by the Likud-Zionist history of treachery, land-theft, human rights atrocities, and mass murder? Can't you see that the suicide bombings are an ugly reflection of a violent and illegal 50-year military land-grab and occupation? Can't you see there is no possible explanation or justification for the Jewish-only settlements which now house 400,000 Jews on Palestinian land? Why are you trying to call it something else? THAT is the question. Don't question our motives, question your own.
Posted by steppenwolf, Wednesday, 23 February 2005 3:17:18 PM
Steppenwolf...
u sound so 'righteous'.. I guess your from Australia ? and I guess every single one of your comments could be directed at YOU for the land u are living on, which was once Aboriginal land !! taken by invasion and mass murder by biological warfare (our diseases) so I'm afraid your righteousness is rather shallow and hollow.
The truth is there is NO land which was not formerly inhabited by OTHERs than those who now inhabit it.
In the case of Israel, they are just fixing up a crime of history when the Romans stole it from them, and if you were an aboriginal would YOU not feel like TAKING BACK Australia ? if u had the military means? You are a hypocrite of the highest order. (but arn't we all).. I think though in the light of your EXTREME self righteousness, u need to be told just how u sound.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 23 February 2005 4:22:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All