The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Take time before judging God > Comments

Take time before judging God : Comments

By Mark Christensen, published 27/1/2005

Mark Christensen ponders some of the questions posed by religion and secularism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All
I think Percy makes some very convincing arguments, but in doing so contradicts himself in a big picture sense - why would one suggest that a leap of faith is the basis for one's beliefs while in the same instance argue (ie reason) a case for such? Its like saying I cannot prove my faith, but sit here and listen while I do (or at least argue against yours).

The only thing worth arguing about is why argument is, ultimately, futile. We can only be saved by the irony ...
Posted by intempore, Friday, 28 January 2005 6:47:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Intempmore .. not a bad one :)
You would notice my own approach after a while that I tend to withdraw from the 'agumentative' way, and tend more to focus on the 'Gospel'. I know from experience, - only that can change hearts, and minds. The main value of the argumentative and debate we indulge in is where it can reveal our hidden presuppositions and cause us to confront them. At that point, we may be able to see clearly that we are not 'far from the Kingdom'
Regards
BOAZ
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 28 January 2005 7:12:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Humans have this need for religion because we are basically insecure beings,which is understandable.Chimps have no such desire.Only when our consciousness reaches a certain level do we have this compulsion to believe.I've been on the other side and it is harder not to believe.This is our way of making sense of the universe.If there is such a supreme being of consciousness why reach out to such insignificant creatures such as humans, whom we would consider to be bacteria on our skin to be ignored or eradicated.

If there is a God surely his rules are those of the universe,of physics,maths and biology.I don't see these in any Bible or Koran.
In many ways aetheists and agnostics are more religious because they search for truth ,have a set of values and morals without a golden handshake at the end of life.A religion of agnostics and aetheists wouldn't be a boring affair either.It would grow with the discoveries of science.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 28 January 2005 8:15:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay
I agree that humans have a 'need' form something greater than themselves in order to help relate to the cosmos. The only problem with this in regard to the JudaoChristian faith, is that people who just have a 'need' to invent a God, for the above reasons, usually invent one who will ACCOMODATE all their own desires and passions.
The God of the old testament was continually sending prophets to His people to call them BACK from chasing after 'such' gods...
Jesus said many things which were difficult to accept
John 6:60
On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

So, the faith revealed in the Scriptures, is not one which can fit into the 'mould' which you expressed. It is from the Almighty.
BOAZ
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 29 January 2005 9:49:18 AM
Solitude does not imply withdrawal from the world, but coming to terms with it in a way that preserves the human psyche intact.
Rather than feeding the fires of "burnout", all those who are active in the movement for solving social and political crises will need time out at some stage.
Solitude is about transcendence, not escapism.
Trauma counselling is common but expensive, and impractical on a massive scale, only the human need for peace, found in many faiths, will provide a really practical solution to healing the wounds of the subconscious minds.
Posted by David Mason, Saturday, 29 January 2005 11:11:01 AM
Quite nicely said Possum...
pretty much agree with that, but would urge deeper consideration to the reality of Christ Jesus who said "He comes to me will never thirst"... He feeds our subconcious also... and He Himself also 'withdrew from the Mulititude to pray' at times :)
BOAZ
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 29 January 2005 12:18:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. All