The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Harry versus the politically correct: But where is our sense of humour? > Comments

Harry versus the politically correct: But where is our sense of humour? : Comments

By Neil Clark, published 19/1/2005

Neil Clark argues that political correctness means we are in danger of losing our sense of humour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I suspect if Prince Harry went as Bin Laden the reaction would be much the same. Bin Laden's view of Jewish people isn't exactly what you'd call family friendly.
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 3:20:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry but to dress up as a cowardly, bloodsoaked, murderous nazi thug is utterly crass and completely stupid. Those who see no problem in this would have to be smug self-satisfied cretins. Of course these "fair, decent live-and-let-live?" people did not experience the horrendous 2nd world war.

These people did not lose loved ones at the front or in the death camps. I hear these dim-wits asking what is the front and what are death camps. Numbat, Qld
Posted by numbat, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 4:13:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apparently John Howard is a nazi, and detention centres are like the concentration camps in Auschwitz. I've heard these ridiculous comparisons by the same people outraged by Harry's nazi uniform. If the Holocaust is going to be trivialised at all, why the outrage over a nazi uniform at a fancy dress party themed 'colonial and native'?
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 8:05:14 PM
Where is our sense of humour? Probably went with Princess Diana.

If she was still around, this would either have not happened, or if it did, we would have had the right person to blame. Now that I think about it, maybe she is at fault.
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 10:27:32 PM
Although "political correctness" may seem a little dreary in discussion, it is a serious suppressive element in our society. We do not have freedom of speech in this country and I consider that a crime against every individual.

Have criminal elements have infiltrated our parlimentry system with the view of suppressing and over controlling this population?

Have you noticed how many new and trivial laws we are legislating these days and have you noticed these laws result in the indiviual eroded his right and ability to make good judgements and take personal responsibility for his actions.

When an individual looses his ability to take personal responsibility he has little option but to slide into the criminal world, resulting in more criminals.
Posted by mark, Thursday, 20 January 2005 12:38:24 AM
Where is our sense of humour? Good question. But at which point do we consider some things tasteless? I still maintain Nazism is one of things that can't be a joking matter. We take it so seriously that when someone compares Port Hedland detention centre to a concentration camp sensible people say "what an outrageous comparison!" And rightly so. In fact, Prince Harry's joke about Nazism has united conservative Jews and leftists against his action. Not bad going - that's not easy to do.

I'd suggest if he finds Hitler funny he should laugh about the matter in private away from where the media is present. But to cut Prince Harry some slack, I think he just wasn't thinking. I doubt if he really finds fascism hilarious. And now he realises that if you act without thinking there are consequences - I notice his father has a tour of Auschwitz lined up for him. That'll be interesting.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 20 January 2005 8:00:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy