The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Harry versus the politically correct: But where is our sense of humour? > Comments

Harry versus the politically correct: But where is our sense of humour? : Comments

By Neil Clark, published 19/1/2005

Neil Clark argues that political correctness means we are in danger of losing our sense of humour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I wonder how long it will be before the dreary, overdone cliche "political correctness" dies as a result of old age? It is trotted out so regularly that you wonder if the writer of the article has anything real to say or just wants to sloganeer. It really puts you off reading the article and makes you think that the author would have inserted "chickens coming home to roost" and "rolling stones gather no moss" but for lack of space.

I did find the Prince's choice of costume offensive but as a member of the politically correct, left-wing, liberal, chardonnay-sipping, latte-drinking, bleeding heart elite (have I left anything out?) what would I know?
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 11:26:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To be fair to Neil Clark, I chose the new title. It was originally published in The Australian yesterday with the title 'Laughter the best medicine for curbing fascism'. Susan Prior - Editor
Posted by SusanP, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 12:33:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's always been the problem with the left. Absolutely no sense of humour! Plenty of scowls, clenched teeth, tight thin lips, but definately no sense of humour.
Posted by Cranky, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 1:03:08 PM
I don't know, I find Cranky's posts pretty funny. At any rate, many conservative Jewish people were offended by the Nazi costume. So were the British press, Prince Charles and other members of the British royal family. If all these people are leftists I'll drink my bottle of chardie in one gulp.
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 1:21:35 PM
What is this obsession with bemoaning political correctness it has always be with us and always will be. I always wondered how the makers of superman would think that people would not see Clark Kent for who he was. I don't anymore change the name of manners to political correctness and suddenly no one knows what they are. I think what happens is if you like a social practice you call it manners and if you don’t you call it political correctness. The author of this article makes a valiant attempt to turn Harry into some political crusader but he falls well short. Now lets go have a nice cup of tea and remember pinkies up and out.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 2:09:16 PM
Actually you're quite right DavidJS.

I was referring to the left in general. What Harry did was insensitive, not to mention stupid. There are still many people alive who lived through the horrors of the concentration camps, and many more who lost parents, relatives and everything else they held dear. It's not like it happened 1000 years ago.

The argument that Harry is only a normal 20 year old doing what normal 20 year olds do is pretty weak when you consider that he is hardly a normal 20 year old. I bet Harry wishes he'd gone with the Osama Bin Laden costume now!
Posted by Cranky, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 3:03:48 PM
I suspect if Prince Harry went as Bin Laden the reaction would be much the same. Bin Laden's view of Jewish people isn't exactly what you'd call family friendly.
Posted by DavidJS, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 3:20:14 PM
Sorry but to dress up as a cowardly, bloodsoaked, murderous nazi thug is utterly crass and completely stupid. Those who see no problem in this would have to be smug self-satisfied cretins. Of course these "fair, decent live-and-let-live?" people did not experience the horrendous 2nd world war.

These people did not lose loved ones at the front or in the death camps. I hear these dim-wits asking what is the front and what are death camps. Numbat, Qld
Posted by numbat, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 4:13:44 PM
Apparently John Howard is a nazi, and detention centres are like the concentration camps in Auschwitz. I've heard these ridiculous comparisons by the same people outraged by Harry's nazi uniform. If the Holocaust is going to be trivialised at all, why the outrage over a nazi uniform at a fancy dress party themed 'colonial and native'?
Posted by davo, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 8:05:14 PM
Where is our sense of humour? Probably went with Princess Diana.

If she was still around, this would either have not happened, or if it did, we would have had the right person to blame. Now that I think about it, maybe she is at fault.
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 10:27:32 PM
Although "political correctness" may seem a little dreary in discussion, it is a serious suppressive element in our society. We do not have freedom of speech in this country and I consider that a crime against every individual.

Have criminal elements have infiltrated our parlimentry system with the view of suppressing and over controlling this population?

Have you noticed how many new and trivial laws we are legislating these days and have you noticed these laws result in the indiviual eroded his right and ability to make good judgements and take personal responsibility for his actions.

When an individual looses his ability to take personal responsibility he has little option but to slide into the criminal world, resulting in more criminals.
Posted by mark, Thursday, 20 January 2005 12:38:24 AM
Where is our sense of humour? Good question. But at which point do we consider some things tasteless? I still maintain Nazism is one of things that can't be a joking matter. We take it so seriously that when someone compares Port Hedland detention centre to a concentration camp sensible people say "what an outrageous comparison!" And rightly so. In fact, Prince Harry's joke about Nazism has united conservative Jews and leftists against his action. Not bad going - that's not easy to do.

I'd suggest if he finds Hitler funny he should laugh about the matter in private away from where the media is present. But to cut Prince Harry some slack, I think he just wasn't thinking. I doubt if he really finds fascism hilarious. And now he realises that if you act without thinking there are consequences - I notice his father has a tour of Auschwitz lined up for him. That'll be interesting.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 20 January 2005 8:00:21 AM
DavidJS,

How can you defend a man who supported paedophilia and the the sexual abuse of children (your post regards Bill Meulenberg's article on Kinsey OLO Thursday January 20) while at the same time chastising Prince Harry over a Nazi costume?

A bit hypocritical perhaps?
Posted by the usual suspect, Thursday, 20 January 2005 4:35:38 PM
I don't defend such a man. However, from what I am starting to learn about Kinsey, the accusations levelled against him appear to be extremely suspect. At any rate, my arguments are not so much pro-Kinsey but aimed at the AFA's sly attempt to equate homosexuality with child abuse.
Posted by DavidJS, Friday, 21 January 2005 7:52:34 AM
Harry is an amusing young man, but has no sense of perspective. Would so many writers be asking us not to lose our sense of humour if say Harry had gone to the fancy dress ball dressed as a paedophile—I suspect that the inappropriateness of such a costume might even have penetrated the skull of our entertaining young price

One must always maintain a sense of humour but at what cost? How humorous would it be if the grandson of the Queen of England was to join the British army and to be subsequently involved in prisoner abuse—and can we be sure that Harry with his lack of perspective and obvious lack of intelligence would recognise such abuse if he saw it. Now it is unlikely that Harry will ever be allowed anywhere near proper soldiering—but maybe for the sake of the troops who may, by some remote chance, come under Harry’s command during an actual operation the British army should seriously reconsider Harry’s application.

It is unlikely but wouldn't it be admirable if senior British army officers showed some backbone and stated unequivocally that Harry has demonstrated that he is not fit to command British soldiers and that where the command of British soldiers is concerned the British army does not have a sense of humour?

There is not much humour to be found when a young man or women dies doing their job as a soldier—there would be even less laughter if it turns out that we let fools command our young men and women who as a nation we must at times put in harms way.
Posted by JB1, Sunday, 23 January 2005 8:39:47 AM
The problem for me is that while Frank and Ethel were off having a cup of tea there was an audience listening to the speaker and having their distorted thinking and prejudices confirmed and in 1930s Britain there were attacks on Jewish people and businesses. I love cutting satirical humour and may even laugh at a friend who turned up at a private party dressed as a nazi. I know its a double standard but I think there is a big difference between a common or garden party reveller and an heir to the British throne, (even if not next in line). He is a public figure and as such his actions will always be scrutinised by the public, the Frank and Ethels with amusement, but also the people seeking to propagate or legitimise their fascist beliefs.

Regards

Jo
Posted by JoJo, Monday, 24 January 2005 6:20:31 PM
Hitler was a just a little one testicle dick head who didn't measure up to his own definition of the perfect Anglo Saxion race.He did however in the 1930's do a lot of good for German people who were crucified by Europe and the US for it's involvement in the 1st World War.Under such a leader how many of us would have the courage to rebel?We need both compassion and courage in our lives.The trick is in finding the balance.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 24 January 2005 9:41:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy