The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Caring big business or a wolf in sheep’s clothing? > Comments

Caring big business or a wolf in sheep’s clothing? : Comments

By Dayna Simpson, published 10/1/2005

Dayna Simpson argues that corporate philanthropy must not be allowed to become an opportunistic branding opportunity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Planius I'm a litle concerned about what kind of CSR departments you've been hanging about in, because it's my experience (8 years of it within corporations) that a majority of companies put their CSR people in the marketing department. So that they can produce glossy and ineffective CSR reports. And then they call the role Public Relations. Because isn't that what PR is? Managing (oops sorry 'marketing') relations with the public?

In fact I'm not sure why there seems to be so much vitriol here against Dayna's PhD - why the personal attacks? I thought this was a 'debate' site. Isn't that missing the point? In the last paragraph of the article she says she's all in favour of corporate giving and hopes it will continue. I believe she's advocating the right for the public to ask questions like where is the money going and how is being distributed and what about all the other humanitarian crises that are so very much in need of corporate dollars but never receive it? Isn't CSR consulting/research about pushing for more accountability from corporates?

Wasn't there something somewhere in history about some Greeks and a Trojan Horse?
Posted by Audrey, Tuesday, 11 January 2005 2:58:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Audrey, most companies put their CSR in Corporate Affairs (PR), not Marketing. Gianni Zappala has done some research on this in Australia and came up with 39% Corporate Affairs, 24% CEO's office, 12% Community Relations and 7% Marketing. This is in line with what I said we observe in our consulting business.
Posted by planius, Wednesday, 12 January 2005 10:38:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seeker..."people like oceangrrl" means what, exactly?
Someone who questions the motives and assumptions of people in power?
What is so terribly threatening to you about that? Because threatened you most obviously are...why else the need on your part to label me.

As Audrey pointed out, gifts don't always come without strings attached.

A report in a local paper this morning interviewed a woman (oh, seeker, get over it!) who was born in Indonesia. She reminds people that the residents of Banda Aceh and most of the other regions, had it terribly hard to begin with. There is no income support, entire families band together to eke out some basic standard of living. Most of us couldn't give a toss about that before the tsunami, it's just that it triggered off our own fears about such a death, and the inevitable destruction that would occur here.

Go on, Seeker. find something terribly feminist-oriented about that.
Posted by oceangrrl, Wednesday, 12 January 2005 1:15:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said Dayna. Agreed. Other people in this forum really should wake up and have some independent thought on occasion.
Posted by Ben, Wednesday, 12 January 2005 1:50:18 PM
Ben's right!! Big business is fat and greedy and only does anything if it increases the bottom line.
That's certainly a fresh, new, independant idea isn't it? I certainly haven't heard that argument ad nauseum before.
Ben, maybe it's you that should think for yourself occasionally instead of jumping on every feel-good "look at what a good and caring person I am" bandwagon that comes along.
Posted by bozzie, Wednesday, 12 January 2005 5:27:23 PM
Oceangrrl, your cynicism is the only threat I detect :-(

Benevolence and altruism do exist in individuals, communities, governments, and yes, even in public corporations. They don’t always get it right but when they do, it should be acknowledged once in a while. It doesn’t hurt and doesn’t cost, but in the process, helps to change the world for the better :-)
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 12 January 2005 9:19:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy