The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In the company of Mary > Comments

In the company of Mary : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 21/12/2004

Peter Sellick examines the sexual scandals, including the 'virgin birth', at the heart of Christianity

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Peter, you might find the noble ideal of a "brotherhood of man" only in the god that failed, communism, others would say that the ideal of a brotherhood of man (and a sisterhood of women) is the driving force behind democracy and, yes, christianity.

If you really believe that, "We live in a time in which these noble intentions have failed all over the world, whereas an ideology based on greed (capitalism) has produced reasonably liveable societies. While liberal democracies look successful they are leading us into a drastic cultural meltdown that threatens the whole structure", then why not just say out loud: "Greed is good". Unfortunately, this contradicts the gospels.
Posted by grace pettigrew, Saturday, 25 December 2004 6:48:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Big Al, I understand that you are a Roman Catholic and that you worship Mary, the "Queen of Heaven". What happened to the second commandment?
Posted by grace pettigrew, Saturday, 25 December 2004 7:45:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Greed is certainly not good. I was trying to point out that we do not in fct know the difference between good and evil even after eating the tree of the fruit thereof. The mistake that religious people make is that they think that moralizing will give them a privileged view of the world. Unfortunately this leads them to a shallow story of the world. President Bush's talk about evil is a blasphemy.
Posted by Sells, Sunday, 26 December 2004 10:16:01 AM
Rowan Williams, in his Christmas address gets it right: Morality, said one prominent modern Greek Orthodox theologian, is not about right and wrong, it's about reality and unreality,
Posted by Sells, Sunday, 26 December 2004 10:26:18 AM
Grace Pettigrew, You've got it wrong again. I didn't say we worship Mary. I said "Mary is revered". I thought you would have known the difference. We only worship The Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Blessed Trinity.

Sells, I haven't forgotten you, I'll be back later.
Posted by Big Al 30, Monday, 27 December 2004 12:23:42 PM
Sells, I'm not finished with Ruth yet. I don't want to be facetious, but if Rut had really wanted to seduce Boaz, the story would have turned out differently, and Ruth would not be praised in Bible commentary as she is. The story should be read in conjunction with the customs of the time and Levirate marriage, See www.womenintheancientworld.com/ruth

To later matters:

1. I note that you refer to the Spirit of God as "Her". If you mean the Holy Spirit, what is your authority for using "Her"? In Romans 8-26, it says "..the Spirit Himself intercedes for us.."

2. Your quote from a Greek Orthodox theologian that" Morality is not about right and wrong, it's about reality and unreality". I think he should consult a good Dictionary. He is trying to redefine the obvious and doing a poor job of it. Some theologians these days feel compelled to spread confusion, and they are doing a much better job of that.

3. You accuse George W. Bush of blasphemy! There are such things as Good and Evil. I don't know what statement you are referring to, but if he means Osama bin-laden and Saddam Hussein and his sadistic regime are Evil, he is quite right. But how did George W get into this discussion anyhow?
Posted by Big Al 30, Monday, 27 December 2004 3:15:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy