The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Putting the brakes on the road toll > Comments

Putting the brakes on the road toll : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 17/12/2004

Andrew Leigh argues that there are alternatives to P-plater programs to reduce road tolls.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. All
Oooow dear! Alright Luddo you agro old prick, um I mean, prickly customer, I’ll tell ya, seein as you is so pushy n impatient n all.

Well you see, I have this friend who drives a small Hyundai XL and raves about his hooning antics. He proudly boasts of his long history of hoonery, which continues at age 68.

More next time.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 25 March 2007 3:27:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig!! !! Another week has gone by! Pull your finger out buddy!
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 1 April 2007 10:51:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My friend boasts of his hoonery on a very regular basis, especially his drags with fellow hoons from traffic lights and his fast tight cornering.

He gets very regular takers for a drag, despite the antithesis of a hooning image presented by his car and by the driver....or maybe because of it!

All I can do is shake my head when he goes on about this stuff. He seems to find great entertainment in my negative reaction, and he clearly gets huuuuge enjoyment out of driving in this manner!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 7 April 2007 2:27:29 PM
He has been driving like this for 50 years and has apparently never come unstuck or been copped for it, which I must say is truly remarkable.

He says to me that I’m a fool for basing my exercise regime around barefoot running and hiking several times a week, and that sooner or later I’ll come to grief because of it. Well, after six years I haven’t, not in the slightest. But yes, it could happen. It is a calculated risk. Even the worst consequences are only going to concern me, and not inconvenience or harm others.

So I’ll say the same to him; sooner or later he will come to grief from on a patch of loose dirt or oil on one of his tight cornering manoeuvres and plough into an oncoming car. And the consequences will be thousands of times worse than if I ever step on a piece of glass or gash a toe open.

There is just no room for this sort of thing on our roads. It shouldn’t be tolerated in the slightest. We should be concentrating on being careful and erring on the side of caution ALL of the time that we are behind the wheel of a car.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 9 April 2007 10:35:55 AM
See a new line of discussion (or another attempt to take this whole subject of road safety up to the good caring people on the OLO forum), at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=520
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 10 April 2007 8:30:00 AM
My friend is right into daily exercise by way of running up our local hill or along the river, which are very popular activities in the evenings. But he says that half the fun of this is the drive from home to the hill or river, and the regular hoonery therein!

My point of raising the issue is that this sort of driving behaviour is very common. I witness it all the time and hear it from home, in quiet suburbia, very frequently indeed. It peaks on Friday and Saturday nights, but is present to a fair extent at any time of the day or night.

In less experienced drivers at least, it is no doubt strongly correlated with accidents, injury and death, as well as road-rage and the feeling of powerlessness in the general non-hoon community. It is one aspect of driving that needs to be reigned right in.

So, if we were to develop a much-improved driver-training regime and policing regime and empower the general public to have a part to play in regulatory activities, we could easily deal with the hoon factor…. and make our roads a much safer and nicer place.

See http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=520#10188 and other Ludwig posts on that thread.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 15 April 2007 7:40:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. All