The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Denying Christmas is political correctness gone mad! > Comments

Denying Christmas is political correctness gone mad! : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 14/12/2004

Waleed Aly argues that Muslims don't have a problem with Christian celebrations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Religion is something that has long been used as an excuse for hatred and fear, and it saddens me that the same thing seems to still happen today.

Surely every person has the right to hold whatever religious beliefs they might choose to, without vilification or prosecution. Although I am not Christian, I think that everyone who is has the right to celebrate their faith, while I celebrate the pagan origins of Xmas. I am not insulted by people of other faiths worshipping in whatever manner that they chose to - whether in public or in private - as, if anything, I have the chance to learn about their beliefs through such celebrations if I so choose. The one thing I do object to however is people trying to force their religion onto other people - and I think that many people might be confused by these two things, and think that just because someone celebrates their religion in public they are trying to force others to do the same.

Religion should be a private matter between a person and their chosen deity (if they indeed chose to have a religion), and like every other right, people should be allowed to enjoy their beliefs so long as they do not impose on the rights of other people to do the same. Religion is inside anyway, and all the censorship in the world can not take away someone's private faith. We all have rights to our own beliefs, and rights to think what we choose. No one can take away the meaning of Xmas to a Christian - whether a thousand commercial Santas are erected, or a thousand bought nativity scenes - and equally, all the images of a little baby Jesus will not make me convert - so in many ways, it does not matter how PC things become...

Have a nice day everyone.

Suse
Posted by Suse, Saturday, 1 January 2005 2:51:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy