The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A journey through the 'belly of the beast' - Part 1 > Comments

A journey through the 'belly of the beast' - Part 1 : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 20/12/2004

Bernie Matthews discusses the state of the Queensland prison system

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Arjay could you please explain, in detail, just how 'more discipline,less rights,and families that relied on their own resources than soft option Govt solutions' would reduce the number of gaols and social workers? People commit crimes for as many reasons as there are people. I have no doubt that a fair percentage of these people come from families where discipline was strict, no rights were permitted and no doubt their families were quite resourceful. And I bet you think you've found the solution.
Posted by Ringtail, Thursday, 30 December 2004 7:35:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ringtail,there is no easy solution especially when we have entire generations that have been destroyed on social security.Prior 1970 ,there was almost no safety net.People had clealy defined notions of what was right and wrong.We have lost our sense of morality and are continually looking for easy options of sueing someone,going on drugs,or selling them, or dole,DSP,rorting workers comp,unfair dismissal,stealing etc.Before they all die,meet some real disciplined,unselfish people that took us through WW2 and The Great Depression.The Post WW2 generation have become weak and corrupted by soft option attutides and actions of the left.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 30 December 2004 8:56:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for publishing this story Bernie. I read all three parts with great interest. My original motivation in reading it was research for a short story. Sidetracking me happens so easily. My story is a tribute to a relative who received first hand experience in a Queensland prison. He would never let me visit. I tried. I guess he would have liked to see me in a better light. I have visited someone in prison though (a Pauline type crime) and all I can say is that prison noticeably takes the wind out of your sails. It is probably more like being ship wrecked on an island surrounded by hungry sharks. If you ever get off the island you will be a survival expert. Doubtless an extremely cunning version. In my experience also, Government Bureaucrats certainly cultivate their own code of silence: covering up for the poor leadership and misadventures of ‘colleagues’. Want a list? No they’d claim defamation and they’d find a way to silence me. Imprison me? Whistle blow? Why not? just a career down the gurgler. Back to your story. Jury duty wisened me to the questionable legislation that traps some people. I’m sorry that the system wrongly convicted you twice. So it was only 50% right? That is scary. Thank God we don’t have capital punishment. Or do we? Statistically it may be just a question of “mode”. I assume that you are repentant for the robberies. We are fortunately way beyond the penal colony days. In our 21st Century technological miracles are happening. Science - Fiction writers envision all. Maybe prisons will come of age. Soon. I value the fact that you are a journalist now and are writing about your research and experiences. I hope that you are extremely successful. Thank you.
Posted by write on, Saturday, 15 January 2005 5:31:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Bob –
Personal Responsibility is the essence which makes society work. If everyone considered it first – we would avoid the need for prisons.
Agreed there is no Right to be Heard – least of all by those who decide to abuse those who wish only to exercise a right of quiet enjoyment.
Incarceration protects from subsequent events – that is the best any civilized society can hope for.
Any Input from felons is seriously flawed – otherwise they would not need to rely on felonious ways to survive – same way allowing the insane to run the asylum would be flawed. (actually there are strong indications to suggest the two groups are near interchangeable).
The social labels is just something we all face – and all have to deal with. My point is – we can "choose" to suffer the label – or we can equally "choose" not to – it all depends on our attitude and honesty with ourselves – hence the felon is more likely to suffer the label because he /she knows they are dishonest by nature.
Respect is not a given – it has to be earned and pleading for a right to be heard does not cut it – accepting ones responsibilities is where I personally start to dish out respect
My partners “anecdotal evidence” is based on a decade of experience at a senior level where she has interviewed every single prisoner who came into the prison in which she was employed. I am sure you would agree that the exception to the rule would stick out like the reproductive organs of a male greyhound – and the exceptions were the culpable drivers.
The only way of eliminating prisons would require something like selective breeding and interference with the lives of ordinary people – the outcome of that would be dubious at best and represent a far worse risk than leaving the system as it is. As someone else pointed out – want to compare our system to some other places in the world and you will agree – we are more than "civilised" in comparison.

These are all our thoughts – and we are fortunate to be Free to express them – Freer than prisoners certainly but we value more than just the moment.

Hi Magnet – oh a little sarcasm really does go nowhere these days, does it?

I do not live vicariously through anyone else, nor have I desire to – but expressing the opinion of an expert is better than listening to the excuses of a felon – which brings me to ask - where did you get your “insight” from – personal incarceration or some vicarious experiences of your own?

Your hypothetical teenage car thief would likely go initially to a juvenile facility and not mix with all those "nasty men" – but if he ended up in one eventually – it would be on a subsequent offence and likely as not after he had stolen a few more cars with reckless disregard for the rights of the legal owners.

The matter of rich versus poor is not the issue and you know it – that is just an excuse used by those with no imagination. I would have thought, based on your statement that recidivism, would be non-existent in the average inmate, whether a petty thief or drink-driver.
Let me see – the UN – well regardless of race, colour, creed or social standing – how does the UN attitude toward the rights of the irresponsible, the killers and the thieves compare to their attitude to the responsible and honest – pretty much the same as any other sensible person I guess.

Cheers Col Rouge
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 17 January 2005 4:30:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col, you preach about how to create a "civilised society", yet your narrow and unconstructive views do nothing to contribute to this aim.

You seem to be misssing the pretty simple point of REHABILITATION - Meaning to prepare offenders to go back into society so that they do not re-offend. That should be the responsibility of the Corrections Department.

Your view of depending on the individual convicts to take personal responsibility does not work.

Instead of throwing them away for a period of time with no proper rehabilitation procees then releasing them into society to re-committ, the above mentioned process of a proper rehabilitation process is more likely to prevent re-offending.

That reduces crime.

That makes society more civilised.

Think about it.
Posted by The Grey Blur, Saturday, 29 January 2005 7:17:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy