The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Thanks for the $1200 payment but I'd rather have more time with my kids > Comments

Thanks for the $1200 payment but I'd rather have more time with my kids : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 6/7/2004

Daniel Donahoo argues that the child payment money could be better spent

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Yes, yes, yes! I can SO relate to the author of this article. My husband is a nurse (read: not a really big income earner!) and I stay at home with my four children 24/7. We've even chosen to home educate! I get really, really sick of hearing how much more money the government is pumping into childcare rebates, funding for childcare centres, etc. and yet it appears it's never even enough! What about making it more financially viable for parents to stay at home with their OWN children! Governments can "say" that parents are the "first & best educators" but how about financially empowering them to actually stay home and BE that! There are plenty of people out there desperate for a job, and plenty of mothers desperate to stay home but who find it financially nonviable. I challenge all parents to consider the road less travelled though! We even sold our house so I could stay home, because the mortgage was unmangeable. Now we will no longer qualify for a first home owners bonus and will probably rent forever. But it's worth it! I will (hopefully!) have plenty of years left later on to study, find that great job etc. But for now, my kids are worth the sacrifice and I wish the government would make it easier for me to continue this choice. At least it's one less place they have to find in a childcare centre!
Posted by Rynalee, Tuesday, 15 May 2007 10:07:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy