The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABS's environmental statistics reporting fails the basic test of rigour > Comments

The ABS's environmental statistics reporting fails the basic test of rigour : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 29/3/2004

Jennifer Marohasy questions the validity of the Australia Bureau of Statistics' tree-clearing figures

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
hello jennifer, most of the land clearing around our area [northern vic ] has resulted a fairly large area of occasionally productive weedy farm land with almost no natural grassland and that is for the most part, only loved for the money it makes . when i asked some young irrigation and dryland farmers why they wouldn't plan to preserve for their grand children the little native vegetation and biodiversity they had left, they simply answered "there's no money in it ! " reading farmers' opinions in the "weekly times" [vic] and the "land" [nsw] , the abuse of native grassland and biodiversity will continue unabated wherever many farmers think they can get away with it, almost on principle. to them biodiversity is a dirty word thought up by uncaring lefty scientists . i think you could do more to save the natural environment as you get a fair bit of space in the media , however , who pays you may have other ideas on your inputs . ps. thanks for what i thought was a surprising note of caution ?? on the wa canal project .
Posted by kartiya, Monday, 21 February 2005 10:32:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy