The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Was Izzy Folau moral? > Comments

Was Izzy Folau moral? : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 1/7/2019

Both sides can claim ( and fully believe) that they are virtuous, that they in the right, and the opposing viewpoint is in the wrong.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
OzSpen

usually Armchair is quite rational until he gets into his silly conspiracy theories about Israel (ie the nation not person). Then he gets totally irrational with all sorts of conspiracy theories quoted by various links. The left is very predictable and irrational on almost all topics like misgendering, race politics, hatred of borders etc etc. Armchair is different and harder to work out as he seems reasonably sensible on most things until it comes to the nation of Israel.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 4 July 2019 12:35:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shadow Minister,

<<Morality is strongly tied to having a strongly founded sense of ethics and personally adhering to them. The problems come when one person's ethics differ from others and either he tries to force them on others or others try and force their ethics on him.>>

You have summarised the problems that arise when relativism dominates ethics, i.e. all people do what is right in their own eyes. When that value system dominates society, we are moving towards chaos.

If a person chooses one value that I oppose, say, paedophilia, who am I to oppose when relativism reigns? I can't stop you from murdering or raping either as they are your values. They are the logical consequences of such a world view.

However, there is a better solution that many bloggers on OLO will reject.

The Act to constitute the Commonwealth of Australia begins: 'WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established', http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/Constitution/preamble.

Therefore, the Constitution of Australia calls upon 'the blessing of Almighty God' of Christianity and its foundation is in the Almighty God of Scripture and the universe. It is He who provided absolute ethics to govern a society: Exodus 20 (the 10 Commandments) and Jesus' commandments in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).

How better off Australia would be if we followed those absolute commandments which include the negatives of the 10 commandments and the positives of the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12).
Posted by OzSpen, Friday, 5 July 2019 9:03:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"You did not express sorrow, AC."

And how do you know what I think and feel?
Have you been reading the bible so much you think you're Jesus himself now?

I am sorry.
Sorry that your so stupid that you don't see the bigger picture that you're doing the heavy lifting for your adversaries.

And also sorry that you people are selfish and only think of yourselves and don't consider the effect of what you're doing might have on others.

What if this leads to Muslims being also allowed to publicly spout their beliefs?

Way to go empowering the Muslims on a religious level.
You may as well give them all a free bag of meth.

It's at this point I'll be able to say that you've succeeded in placing every single Aussie citizen at risk.

And for what?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 5 July 2019 10:01:08 AM
"If a person chooses one value that I oppose, say, paedophilia, who am I to oppose when relativism reigns?"

If you possess at least half a brain and a conscience then you should know it's wrong to have sex with children.

Were you not a child once?
Do you not know to treat others the way you'd like to be treated?

What does religion have to do with anything?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 5 July 2019 10:17:38 AM
OzSpen

Trying to float a straw man that has murder and rape as part of his code of ethics is facile, as is the attempt to constrain them by the legal system. It is possible to be a complete bastard yet not break any laws.

The teachings of the Christian faith may have its flaws, but it is far better than most of the alternatives.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 5 July 2019 1:04:14 PM
ALTRAV,

<<Until I receive absolute proof of all this religious posturing, I must go with what I know and not with what I am told. In fact QzSpen, I feel disappointed and conned that I am expected to believe in something without any proof.
Well, I don't scare easily and if God exists and he wants me to believe in him, he knows where 'I' am, I have no idea >>

I'll try one more time and leave our discussion if you don't consider this as evidence for God's existence. Take a look at the complex world we live in. God states He created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1) and science admits it had a start with a Big Bang.

What did this creation at the beginning provide. This is but one example: there is a gum tree at my back fence that is so large at its trunk that three people with hands joined together couldn't hug it.

How did it start? There is a progress in development from a flower to a seed that falls to the ground or is planted for seedlings. Those seedlings produce trees that flower and produce more seeds. Leaves fall to clog the gutters of my house. The bark peels as it grows. Here in creation we have wonderful order with the eucalyptus tree created by God.

Then I look to the enormity of the universe that works with such precision. This is not accidental stuff. It is due to the 'hand' of a great and creative Designer who created and continues to sustain the universe.

The design of the solar system should cause you to pause and wonder at the Creator's intelligence and creativity. See: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/solar-system/our-solar-system/overview/

And I haven't examined the intricate functions of the human body. See: http://www.livescience.com/37009-human-body.html

All of this evidence (plus more) demonstrates God's existence (Romans 1:18-20); 'The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship' (Psalm 19:1); 'Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it' (Psalm 139:14).

Are your eyes open to it?
Posted by OzSpen, Saturday, 6 July 2019 9:49:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy