The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What was wrong with the polls? > Comments

What was wrong with the polls? : Comments

By Graham Young, published 29/5/2019

While it’s virtually impossible to be certain even about the exact details of the past, it is completely impossible to be certain about the future.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Polls are meant to influence voters,especially the undecided voter.

I find the pollsters are decidedly Left Wing for the most, not all. They take their Polls where they feel they will get the best predetermined result.

In this case they all got it seriously wrong. Ay? Ha, ha.

Then again Bob Brown & his Caravan didn't help the Pollsters with their surveys in Queensland. or, maybe they didn't Poll Queenslanders.

I find with a lot of Polls, not yours Graham, that the way they phrase some questions can be misleading, or leading, in some cases. Especially with Product Samplers. ;-) But I don't take them seriously anyway (Product Samplers).
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 30 May 2019 9:56:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb,

<<They take their Polls where they feel they will get the best predetermined result.>>

If that is so (and I don't understand it is), then the pollsters got an F mark for Labor and an F mark for the Coalition as Labor was expected to win and the Coalition was expected to lose.
Posted by OzSpen, Thursday, 30 May 2019 12:24:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Graham,

As I see it …

The polls were an indication of the state of mind of the electors before the election. The vote was an indication of their final resignation ... after all was said and done.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 31 May 2019 1:00:44 AM
"The future is uncertain, and no matter how many polls you take, it will still be uncertain. Blaming pollsters for failing to be fortunetellers says more about the state of political commentary in Australia than it does polling.

If we reported elections on the issues and policies, rather than as though they were horse races, polling would be less relevant. But that would be too hard for journalists and politicians who love the false security of round numbers."

Well said, Graham. Well said.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Friday, 31 May 2019 3:16:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy